Episode 446 – too old to punch

* (0:34) After years of dodging anime, Dan falls in love with One Punch Man. Bill Burr give his take on the show (FAIR WARNING: NSFW language). Antonin Dvorak’s New World Symphony.

* (8:01) Two things that could have messed up the feel of One Punch Man.

* (16:47) Putting other anime on the table.

* (18:06) Fear the Con X coming up on June 22nd – 24th!

* (19:18) We’re attempting an actual player series that we’re marketing-testing on Patreon. Audience input is currently being taken here.

* (25:04) The idiosyncrasies of Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars game.

* (33:28) Willingness to take on complex games. What’s changed and why.

* (43:51) A change in the gaming zeitgeist.

* (46:14) Adding a third axis to the chart.

* (53:56) The Gwent League. Five minutes of Chad’s “no index rage” noise. Dan’s dance remix of Chad’s noise.

Hosts: Brodeur, Chad, Dan

Comments (10)

UemeiJune 13th, 2017 at 12:09 pm

First a JRPG, and now anime… Are we sure Dan is not a pod people?

Keep in mind though the first villain One Punch Man ever defeated got his powers, of being a crab reverse mermaid, from eating too much crab. I think that little flame in his eyes when he resolves to defeat the Crablante and save Chin Boy was probably less of an artistic flourish, and more now OPM has his powers. That whole scene kind of established exactly how absurdest OPM is. The director/writer said, ‘this series is exactly this far out there, no more no less.’

Three minutes in though Dan touched on something important, and why I don’t like spoiler culture. I honestly believe that anything worth reading/watching can’t really be spoiled, because the best writing is structural and necessarily leads to it’s conclusion.

Knowing Macbeth marches straight through his tattered virtue to his death, doesn’t make it less fun to watch him systematically destroy everything he once held dear for the crown, and then lose it. I mean the terms and conditions were built into fortune that we the audience are privy to in the first Scene of the first Act. I don’t know, maybe I’m just a sadist.

Some day ask me why Gundam AGE, which everyone HATES, is the best Gundam series, and I’ll tell you in a paragraph. Ask me why Gundam Seed Destiny, which everyone HATES, is the best Gundam series, and I’ll tell you in one sentence.

mrm1138June 14th, 2017 at 8:23 pm

While I’ll admit that Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars RPGs have a lot of fiddly bits, the dice mechanics are not one of them. Honestly, I’m going to put it on the GM for not explaining it well enough. The web comic Up To 4 Players managed to do a quick but thorough explanation in two installments.

I provide a reference sheet to my players in case they can’t remember what the symbols are, but they rarely need it anymore. Also, none of them have read any of the core rule books.

EricJune 14th, 2017 at 9:36 pm

WEEEEAAABBBOOOOOOO

in all seriousness start on Jojos bizarre adventure, berserk and dorohedoro

EricJune 14th, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Also boku no Pico and Bible black :^)

MattJune 16th, 2017 at 9:44 am

Ok this episode made me check out One Punch Man. It’s hilarious and violent. I love it!

JacobJune 17th, 2017 at 9:09 am

I can’t fiscally back right now, but I know just from what I’ve heard about the system and the few rpg stories you’ve told that I’d love to hear the AP’s of Skies of Glass.

stanJune 17th, 2017 at 11:16 am

Honestly, there is only one anime that I think you should check out.

Mob Psycho 100

It was created by the same guy that created One Punch Man and it’s just as hilarious. It’s all about ghosts, psychics, and the paranormal. If you are worried about length, its only 12 episodes long. Here is a link to the first episode, enjoy:

ChrisJuly 12th, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I enjoyed your FFG Star Wars discussion, wanted you to know:
The three $60 books each cover a different time/setting. The game can be run from any one of them alone or with combined elements.
The best starting place is one of the three starter boxes, one for each era, they include the basic rules, a set of dice, pregenerated characters, and a well written adventure designed to teach the dice mechanics and other things unique to the game. These boxes are a great buy at $30, especially since FFG has provided a free follow-on adventure and set of more pregens for each of them on their web site.
mrm1138 is completely right about the dice too.

Rane2kNovember 12th, 2018 at 9:14 am

Let me comment on this old episode by saying “Thank you!”

I recently bought the Fate CORE book, because I wanted to try a less “mechanical” system, something narrative-driven.

I put it down at about page 100 or so, I think it is very conceptually interesting, but my problem was thus: “I can not grok this right now, how the hell am I going to explain these things to players?”
Things like “invoking an aspect” and “sticking a free invocation onto an aspect”… this was very, very surprising to me because that is very “gamey” language. I usually like these things, but it was actually the opposite of what I was expecting from the book.

Recently, I ran a game with 3 new (as in “brand-new”, never played a tabletop RPG ever) players with my own (unfinished) homebrew system that was , at that point, mostly in my head. I told them “tell me what you want to do, and I will tell you if it works or if you have to roll” and gave them a quick rundown of what the dice represent. That was it.
This aspect/invocation business puts a whole layer of “game” onto this “imagine a scene and tell me what you want to accomplish” which I find hard to explain.

However, my takeaway from this episode is: maybe I should check out spirit of the century instead.

Rane2November 12th, 2018 at 9:42 am

Oh, and the reason I want to thank you for it: I thought I was alone in my opinion, or simply too dense to grok these rules. :-)