The Third XCOM Saga, part 11
March 12th, 2084…
- Dan informs Tex and Ryan that XCOM will not strike the cult just yet. But at the first hint of escalation in their posture or alien interactions, we will act, even if it means striking first.
- Looking over the city, the alien portals are positioned in three locations: one to the east, one to the southwest, and one to the southeast. None of them are close to our base, tucked in the northwestern corner of Mega-Primus.
- A building is for sale that would make an excellent interceptor base, but the asking price is $112,000 just for the building. The cheaper option would be to station ground vehicles with anti-aircraft weapons in the streets near the portals. But that’s still well above the $20 we have in our account.
- At 7:15am, the saucers return. The interceptors are scrambled, though the Commander orders up city maps and direct feed to Megapol, focusing on street views. The hope of our fighters stopping them has been replaced by resignation that we will have to clean them out of the buildings they infest.
- Their first target is a Nanotech appliance factory. The second is a Superdynamics appliance factory. Is this an odd coincidence, or are these attack waves industry-targeted? How do these aliens pick their targets, anyway?
- The final canal ship hits a Temple of Sirius. What happens to the cultists inside is an open question, but now we have no choice but to raid them.
- Once again, all three troop vessels and the two escorts slip back into the portals before our interceptors have closed even half the distance.
- The fighters are recalled and the APC is prepped. As with the previous incursions, three teams will have to strike three targets.
- Ammunition is split up as best as it can be. The prepping soldiers are ordered to aim carefully and conserve ammo. Spray-and-pray, suppression fire…they’re out of the playbook.
- Dan will lead a team to Nanotech. Ryan will lead one to Superdynamics. As the most level-headed member of the command staff, Tex is picked to handle the foray into the temple. What happens to the cultists will depend on their choices and his.