Episode 229 – from non-gamer to gamer

* (0:30) The March of Dimes charity auction is still in the works.  Post your suggestions on the blog or the forums.

* (1:23) Mikey Mason needs your help to get his geek comedy album finished.  You can make a donation and collect a bounty of prizes from his Kickstarter site.  Just be sure to do so before May 5th!

* (4:13) Wayne’s impulse to create characters predictably transforms into him writing plots that may never even be run.

* (6:59) The Play Generated Map and Document Archive which allows Game Masters to share their maps, notes, and other game documents.  The mix of inspiration and reassurance the site provides.  And, of course, George the dolphin.

* (20:09) What Game Masters do with their old campaign notes.

* (31:05) Moving from a non-gamer to a gamer.  How to get a group to incorporate you into their game or consider your game ideas.  The forum thread by Kali can be found here.

Hosts: Chad, Chris, Dan, Pat, Wayne

Comments (7)

SERApril 21st, 2011 at 3:31 am

Hey great podcast as always. Just a small correction. Bioware has had nothing to do with any of the Fallout games. Fallout 1+2 as well as a couple spin offs were designed and published by Black Isle/Interplay. Black Isle was Interplay’s in house RPG development studio. The Bioware Interplay connection is that they published the Baldur’s Gate games, that were developed by Bioware. Black Isle/Interplay also designed and published the Icewind Dale games and Planescape Torment which used the Infinity Engine, which was developed by Bioware and used in the Baldur’s Gate games. The version of the Infinity Engine used in Planescape was highly modified by Black Isle.

Skip forward a few years and Interplay goes under. They sell the rights to Fallout to Bethesda. Bethesda then designed and published Fallout 3. They then contract out Fallout:New Vegas to Obsidian Entertainment. Obsidian Entertainment designs it using the Fallout 3 engine developed by Bethesda, and Bethesda publishes it. Also note that Obsidian was founded and made up of a lot of people from the defunct Black Isle/Interplay. To add more complexity, Interplay still exists on paper. They apparently did not sell the rights for a Fallout MMO. And supposedly are developing it. Though Bethesda is suing. So this is still an ongoing thing. Kinda complex, but in the end Bioware has never had anything to do with Fallout. Only connection they developed some games for Black Isle/Interplay.

DanApril 21st, 2011 at 10:18 am

Thanks for the correction! Even while recording, I wasn’t terribly certain about my recollection of the company name. It appears I was confusing Bioware with Black Isle. They both start with “B”, so I guess my brain chose to file them as one entity.

scottApril 22nd, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Did anyone notice Luke Crane’s “color animal” inns on the back side of his city map, not just one!

tim hApril 22nd, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Hey there, I’m Tim Hutchings – the guy who manages the Play Generated Map and Document Archive. Thanks for talking about the project, I appreciate it.

The main push of the project isn’t just sharing game materials, it’s also about collecting and preserving the documents as well. Most of what is pictured on the site is actually physically held by the archive, stuff that was donated by gamers and ex-gamers and people who somehow came into a stash of gaming stuff. I argue that these documents are valuable for numerous reasons: research, aesthetics, nostalgia, game practical reasons – therefore there needs to be a repository for unwanted game papers.

Ultimately, the archive will be given over to a long-term collecting institution like a museum or a university. In the meantime, I’ve been organizing art exhibitions out of the collection. The archive was involved in a show that traveled between the FACT museum in Liverpool and the NiMK in Holland, and some universities hosted shows before that.

So don’t just tell people to scan work and digitally submit it, because no one ever does. Rather, encourage people to donate actual papers to the project. And more importantly, people should go and find EX-gamers and pressure them to donate their material, it’s the stuff heading for the waste bin that I am most concerned with. To donate, contact collections@pladmada.org

Michael PhillipsMay 1st, 2011 at 12:20 am

Chad: The character is Jubal Hershaw, the old male Heinlein stand in from Stranger in a Strange Land. (Time enough for love has multiples of all 4 of the Heinlein stand ins. Young Male Heinlein, Young Female Heinlein, Old Male Heinlein, and Old Female Heinlein.)

HostZillaJuly 3rd, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I had halfway accustomed outlast my search, at-last I found the lore. here. Thx dominion that the good hike playmate.

Ashli CurreyMay 21st, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Hi mates, how is the whole thing, and what you want to say about this piece of writing, in my view its truly awesome for me.