Episode 183 – preparing to attend a convention
* (0:29) Revisiting Raina’s Wings. You can make your donation here.
* (4:18) If you’re coming in on the Wednesday before Fear the Con, we’ll be having an impromptu social gathering at Maryland Yards at 7:00pm, just down the street from the hotel.
* (6:30) Chris and the scooter store.
* (7:22) Keeping emotions in check during a game.
* (31:38) A brief review of Pat and Chris’ “storytelling”.
* (33:00) Preparing to attend and survive a convention.
Hosts: Chris, Dan, Pat, Wayne
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
March 3rd, 2010 in Podcasts, Regular Episodes
Oh noes. Forum es kaput!
Oh noes indeed! I iz sad. =(
All better. Forums are back.
My input on attending a con:
You guys spoke about being too hot at a con, but my experience at Gencon is that they tend to have the A/C cranked in the meeting rooms, so I would advise having a long sleeve shirt along with you as well. Also, have some nice “club” clothes in case you score an invite to the White Wolf party.
And finally, if you’re going to do some cosplay stuff, bring tools and glue, etc. to effect repairs if necessary.
i feel bad but i wanted this to be seen. i just started hearing this stream on ep 177
that was the best dam thing i have ever heard! oh and i use coins for badies. nickles dimes quarters so on. also we drink coke in the glass bottle so we use coke tops =P but i have learned so very much that i wanted to call in but i soon found out that it was not a live stream X_X i have soooo much more to say but i will later thank you From Tsum3 aka Lucifer on pen&paper games
I recently played a game of RISK 2210 with my fiancee and another couple,the guy being a long time buddy I no longer get to see all that often. This is largely due to us living in different cities and them having 5 to 7 cats (I’m allergic) and a handful of other semi-dependent pets.
All this to say that my friend and I have, over recent years, developed fairly divergent opinions on strategic deployment and metagame diplomacy. Long story short, after fighting a war on multiple fronts the entire game, he decides to invade the “Black Moon” and my Afro-Australian Empire.
My punitive responce decimates my armies but completely wipes him out.
The game ends and I win by the grace of the ladies mostly fighting over Asia and North America rather than exloiting my weakened forces. I wouldn’t call the ensuing conversation an argument but it does go to show that you don’t have to be a kid to take games personally. We’re cool now but I dunno if we’ll be playing risk again any time soon.
I know it’s a bit old-school, but please click the Forum button at the top of the page and join us. You can say all you want. :)
1) If you find carrying a messenger bag uncomfortable, you are doing it wrong. Tighten the strap and fling the bag behind your back and its ok for long periods of time. Although, this point is pretty moot, since backpacks are fine, too.
2) Five miles of walking per day isn’t that much. Many people do so daily. I don’t do so daily, but I do walk that much regularly. I guess this depends a lot on transportation infrastructure, but we have here in my hometown a pretty extensive public transportation system, but I (like many others) just prefer walking to using busses or our own cars. Also, I’d suggest a lot of walking as part of your recent health focus.
“If you like Rufie-coladas…”
and now I’m the dork laughing with headphones on. Nicely played.
Good advice on attending a con. For two of the major cons, Origins and Gen Con, there are actually attendee sites that give a lot of advice. The forums for Gen Con are great, too.
I do tend to feel that if someone does weird sex stuff in a rpg, that does not say good things about them in real life.