retiring the forums

Announcements regarding the podcasts, forums, or other Fear the Boot endeavors.
User avatar
Dan
Host
Posts: 14556
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 am
Location: St. Peters, Missouri
Contact:

retiring the forums

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:40 pm

Since conversation has all-but entirely moved to Facebook, Discord, etc; the forums are rarely used; and the forum software is an increasing security risk; we've made he decision to retire the forums.

If you want anything preserved, please copy off that data before the end of August 2023. If you want help dumping SQL statements so you can recreate threads on other PHPBB installs, within reason, I'm willing to do those as well. Just be sure to post here before September 1st, 2023. On that date, the forums will be full retired.

If you don't know how to join more active conversations elsewhere, please feel free to ask about that as well, as I'm happy to provide links!
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27643
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:05 pm

Sad to see, but hardly surprising. It'll be missed, even though I never use it any more.

Oh god, now I have to find another home page.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
Lord Foul
Exploding Dice Should Not be a Euphemism for the Family Jewels
Posts: 47601
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:55 am

Oh dear! Looks like we're going to have to try to find new homes for the two play by post games that are being run on the forum. I'll make sure both GMs are aware of this in plenty of time.

The end of en era. :(

Farewell, Fear the Boot; it has been a fun-filled 16/17 years, during which I've made and lost a lot a friends. All the very best with whatever endeavours you all undertake in the future. :thumbup:

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Myopic Sycophant
Posts: 2740
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:03 pm

So what would be a good quick way to export all the posts from my westhaven game in the Play by post forum. 332 pages of posts would take me a bit of time to copy manually
Check out my wife's book

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:22 am

Re: retiring the forums

Postby K-Mech » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Was afraid of that....

Tried Discord, hate it as a forum replacement.....

As long as FtB.com is around to grab the show from at least....

User avatar
Arbuthnott
I am the story stick
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Arbuthnott » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:12 am

Fallout_Monkey wrote:So what would be a good quick way to export all the posts from my westhaven game in the Play by post forum. 332 pages of posts would take me a bit of time to copy manually



Any news on this, Dan? If we're going to have to write it out post by post, we'll need plenty of warning. That a lot of posts!

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Myopic Sycophant
Posts: 2740
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 pm

Dan wrote:If you want anything preserved, please copy off that data before the end of August 2023. If you want help dumping SQL statements so you can recreate threads on other PHPBB installs, within reason, I'm willing to do those as well. Just be sure to post here before September 1st, 2023. On that date, the forums will be full retired.


Quoting you in case you aren't subscribed to this thread and haven't seen my previous question yet
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Wayne
Host
Posts: 8330
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:20 pm

Hello all. I just wanted to reach out and thank Lord Fowl for reaching out to us on Discord and making sure that we knew there were replies in here. I'll keep a better eye on the thread and make sure we get some answers for you.

The forums need to go away from the standpoint of being too large a risk for the usage as well as a lack of visibility to notice if anything were to happen. I know there will be no perfect answers, but we want to make sure you can get easy access to what you need and a copy and paste is obviously not easy access.

For the question about the website it will not be going anywhere, but once the forums are gone it will be getting some updates and probably visual redesign. Same for all sites hosted on the server.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I'll check in more often and make sure Dan gets the information.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

User avatar
Arbuthnott
I am the story stick
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Arbuthnott » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:41 am

Wayne wrote:Hello all. I just wanted to reach out and thank Lord Fowl for reaching out to us on Discord and making sure that we knew there were replies in here. I'll keep a better eye on the thread and make sure we get some answers for you.

The forums need to go away from the standpoint of being too large a risk for the usage as well as a lack of visibility to notice if anything were to happen. I know there will be no perfect answers, but we want to make sure you can get easy access to what you need and a copy and paste is obviously not easy access.

For the question about the website it will not be going anywhere, but once the forums are gone it will be getting some updates and probably visual redesign. Same for all sites hosted on the server.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I'll check in more often and make sure Dan gets the information.


Brilliant, but this doesn't necessarily answer our questions. What should we do for large threads that we're trying to preserve? There is one in particular that we need to save that is some 200 pages long, and the longer it takes for us to find out what's going to happen, the less time we have to copy and paste the whole thing if it turns out that that's the only option available to us. As it is, we've already got less than a month left.

User avatar
Wayne
Host
Posts: 8330
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: retiring the forums

Postby Wayne » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:10 pm

Arbuthnott wrote:
Wayne wrote:Hello all. I just wanted to reach out and thank Lord Fowl for reaching out to us on Discord and making sure that we knew there were replies in here. I'll keep a better eye on the thread and make sure we get some answers for you.

The forums need to go away from the standpoint of being too large a risk for the usage as well as a lack of visibility to notice if anything were to happen. I know there will be no perfect answers, but we want to make sure you can get easy access to what you need and a copy and paste is obviously not easy access.

For the question about the website it will not be going anywhere, but once the forums are gone it will be getting some updates and probably visual redesign. Same for all sites hosted on the server.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I'll check in more often and make sure Dan gets the information.


Brilliant, but this doesn't necessarily answer our questions. What should we do for large threads that we're trying to preserve? There is one in particular that we need to save that is some 200 pages long, and the longer it takes for us to find out what's going to happen, the less time we have to copy and paste the whole thing if it turns out that that's the only option available to us. As it is, we've already got less than a month left.


I know that Dan was looking into if he could export it from the database backend. I don't know if he has found anything yet though.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.


Return to “Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests