Fate Core Planeswalker

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Fate Core Planeswalker

Postby Magmoo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:59 pm

If I wasn't already running something I think I'd try to make a make a Fate Core campaign set in the world of Magic the Gathering. I'd probably have people start out below the levels of plainswalkers so everyone wouldn't have to play as magic users and so I could work on balance issues and power growth over time. Still they're very rich worlds and a chance to use my old cards as inspiration would just be awesome.

Any ideas for special rules or magic modules that would make it work?
Last edited by Magmoo on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

IronJelly
I am the story stick

Re: Fate Core Plainswalker

Postby IronJelly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:39 pm

How close to the card game are you thinking? Are you planning to actually use Magic Cards in the game somehow?

If you're using it as a setting, I would just call it Fantasy and add a rule that the cards effects exist in this setting. If you see something on a card, it's plausible here.

If you want to get more detailed (but further away from the gameplay of MTG) consider making the colors into something like approaches from Fate Accelerated. So there are five colors, right? have each player make one color a 3 point color, one a two point color, one a one point color, and the remaining two are zeroes. Then let them spend a fate point on that bonus when they can justify an action, spell, stunt or anything by it's color, either by displaying a card with the color and effect, or doing something in the spirit of that color (ie, if they do something deceptive, they can add their blue bonus).

you can make the actual spells from the cards into stunts easily enough, I think.

I have never thought of MTG as a setting, so i don't think i have enough details about what you're hoping to accomplish.
"It is easier to outsmart people than to outdumb them" - Scott Meyer (as Omnipresent Man)

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm

It would be pretty far from the card game because summoning is a big part of the game and that could easily bog things down if a lot of people are summoning a lot of creatures. Really I would look more to the fluff of the worlds, card flavor text and card names to inspire things. I'd also want to make it so that casting isn't so broken that players have to play a caster. That said I like the idea of casters building small decks of cards that would match their character concept. They could then draw X number of cards in a scene and those cards influence/inspire the kind of magic they can use in the scene.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:55 pm

I am going to be running a short Fate Core game set on Innistrad. The players are magic-users but not Planeswalkers. How I've gone for some Magic flavor is that I made them have a color/color pair as one of their Aspects (They're also new players) and to use magic in combat they'll spend a turn gathering mana (Will roll) and then once they've got mana in their pool they can spend it on spells from their "hand" (Memorized spells, Lore determines size). I'm still working on making the spell list for each color. They're not going to be 1:1 with cards as I'm not sure the numbers will work out, but they'll be pretty reminiscent.

On my to-do list though is something where the players are actually Planeswalkers and have stacks of actual cards they're drawing into a hand and using to do magic or summon creatures and things.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm

I suppose I could have summons if the player didn't actually summon the creature but instead summoned a creature like aura that lasted for one round and either was used to defend or attack. I like that gathering will mechanic for casting. I think I'll steal that. Maybe they could make a subsequent will check to maintain the "summon."

Mirage
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Mirage » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 pm

I'd be down for playing that game Magmoo if you run it via skype.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I have something going right now on roll20/G+ but if I ever do it I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for the interest.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:43 am

I'm thinking that characters who want to use magic will have to do a few things. One their primary aspect should have some reference to the primary color they use. Each subsequent color they use should influence the other character aspects by adding some sort of thematic adjective/adverb based on the color i.e. White=Devout, Holy, Pure etc. Green= Vibrant, Growing, Bestial, etc and so on. Additionally each color would have a skill ranking. This skill would determine which cards you could reference based on the number of colored mana in the card cost. Thus a character with a Green Magic skill +3 can only call on cards that have up to three green in the cards casting cost. To cast you'd use the highest relevant skill and try to get the total casting cost. I think I'd have the player have the option to declare how many rounds they are going to spend "casting" before the spell takes effect. This would allow the spell to fizzle if they get a bad roll or press their luck.

Some of you might feel that having a skill for each color is a little handicapping. This is intentional so that players who don't play casters can have some extra utility to match the broad utility that comes with magic.

Thoughts?

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 am

Some further ideas regarding translating the niddy gritty of cards into fate.

Trample- any blocked damage cane be directed at a second target which has a chance to defend

First strike - a -2 penalty to a defense roll

life link - heals equal to damage inflicted

protection (color) - cannot be hurt/affected by spells of that color

*walk - cannot be blocked by summons of that color. If scene appropriate cannot be blocked by summons & +2 attack

flying - can only be blocked by flying summons or summons with reach. can attack more than one zone away but no more than total casting cost.

vigilance - Can both attack and defend in the same round

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Re: Fate Core Planeswalker

Postby Magmoo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:39 pm

Some more ideas.

Artifacts - First there will a difference between man portable artifacts and other artifacts.
Man portable artifacts can be carried and used up to a limit established by a character's lore skill. One character can supply the lore for another though it will lessen their pool with the understanding that they are monitoring and maintaining the artifact as needed. This does not cover the mana/casting cost associated with the artifacts powers or the "equip" cost of some artifacts. An equip cost can be paid by making a cast action at the beginning of the scene and the artifact will be equipped to that target for the duration of the scene barring some other intervening action.
Non-man portable artifacts are treated much like other spells though they can be cast using the character's highest magic skill regardless of color unless that artifact has a specific mana color cost..

Return to “Role Playing Games”