Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby N00b13 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:44 am

My system is still not ideal. Kinda feel small. . . well kinda have to. in the past 2 weeks my computer has done about a dozen work units. in that time Team LTT has done 3 million. That said I'm not stopping.

Our efforts has made this the worlds largest super computer and has already shed some light on covid19, how it works, and hopefully how to fight it.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm

N00b13 wrote:My system is still not ideal. Kinda feel small. . . well kinda have to. in the past 2 weeks my computer has done about a dozen work units. in that time Team LTT has done 3 million. That said I'm not stopping.

Our efforts has made this the worlds largest super computer and has already shed some light on covid19, how it works, and hopefully how to fight it.

Well, it's not really a contest and every little bit helps. What kind of hardware are you working with?

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Wihzerd wrote:
N00b13 wrote:My system is still not ideal. Kinda feel small. . . well kinda have to. in the past 2 weeks my computer has done about a dozen work units. in that time Team LTT has done 3 million. That said I'm not stopping.

Well, it's not really a contest and every little bit helps. What kind of hardware are you working with?

Old.

My decade old CPU is the bottleneck.

But the bigger problem is I don't leave my computer on 24/7 so I run F@H while I'm on my computer but not doing something intensive.

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:56 pm

N00b13 wrote:Old.

My decade old CPU is the bottleneck.

But the bigger problem is I don't leave my computer on 24/7 so I run F@H while I'm on my computer but not doing something intensive.

I was more talking about component names, but I guess if your computer is about twice as old as mine that's a moot point. If my HP Pavilion from 2008 still worked, I imagine it too would be on the verge of catching fire if I tried to make it process this kind of workload. It might as well be conducting Time Lord science.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm

There is a lot to love about Linux. When it decides to install new video drivers and uninstall NVIDIA's breaking every game is not one of them.

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 pm

N00b13 wrote:There is a lot to love about Linux. When it decides to install new video drivers and uninstall NVIDIA's breaking every game is not one of them.

The more you describe your computer, the more I think of it as an abused puppy from a Sarah McLachlan video.

And now I find myself watching a Linus Tech Tips dropping things compilation while another video in the background plays In the Arms of an Angel.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 am

Get Sarah McLachlan to sing about heroin again as today was distro upgrade.

Upgraded to 2004.

Upgrade uninstalled some but not all Nvidia drivers.

So I had to install default drivers and purge Nvidia drivers before I uninstalled default drivers and installed Nvidia drivers all from command line.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:43 am

Man it's been forever sense I played chess. Like 3 games in the past 10 years. So when I downloaded a chess game it was scrolling me bad till that last game were my mind finally clicked. It's funny but It was like a physical switch in my mind. 3 moves into that last game I went from reacting to thinking that x move will cause black to retreat while allowing me to advance the position of my queen and suddenly I went from the previous game that ended with a king on my side while the other side had 3 pawn and 2 rooks to having my bishop rook and queen all threatening the same pawn in front of the king because I realized sacrificing my knight 4 moves back would get me there.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

A fringe benefit of 17+ years of intensive cognitive behavioral therapy is that I'm 99.99% immune to gas-lighting. My own brain has been gas-lighting me daily for the past 20 years so a big part of my recovery was becoming actively hyper aware and painfully critical of all my own actions and emotions.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Since back issues are preventing me from hanging out with family, I think tomorrow I'm just going to binge watch patriotic movies all day. I might step outside for a few minutes to watch the fireworks being set off by other people in the apartment complex.

Return to “General Discussion”