Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Sterling is content to let Devia and Marlin do the sneaking around in old barns. He returns to where Arienne and Kor are standing nearby.

"Poor fellow," he says, "I wonder what drove him to this sorry state. Still, by all accounts his current condition is a sign that he may be trying to stop." :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:31 pm

After a few minutes, Devia (and perhaps Marlin) step out of the barn. "It's a drug den. There's a few others in there smoking some of the poppy powder."

She looks around again. "Makes me wonder where they are getting it. Is there some sort of drug dealer or manufacturer here? There's a big problem with this stuff in Torander's Bluff. We always assumed that it was coming from Calrander since they have nothing but farm fields, but it's possible that it came from overseas through the Isles' shipping lanes." She shrugs.
"Makes sense. It'd be easy to smuggle things through all the tiny little islets here."
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:55 pm

"If this is a regular den the locals must be aware of the coming and going of the drug users. Either they're complicit or I expect they'll be happy to see an end to it. Why don't we talk to some and see what we can find out?" :eh:

Are there any villagers about?

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:54 pm

"Good call. We may have to talk to the local constabulary." She looks pointedly at Sterling. "I'll let you handle that," she says with a grin.

Looking around, most of the villagers are up the hill, at least 100 yards away, or even farther away, out working in the field. Sterling thinks he sees a couple of women tending to some chickens at one of the nearer houses.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:19 am

Sterling turns to Arienne and says: "Shall we go over and speak with those women?"

They stroll over to where the women are tending to their chickens.

"Hello there," says Sterling. "We're new around here and looking for a nice place to settle. My name's Sterling and this is my betrothed, Arienne." :)

"This seems a lovely village. Is it really as peaceful and idyllic as it appears? We noticed a poor man over by that old barn who looks in a pretty bad shape. Do you get much of that kind of thing here?"

Clear Ix
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Clear Ix » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:14 am

Marlin follows Devia into the barn to have a look around--keeping an eye out for any traps or other nasty surprises.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Kor seems conflicted before deciding to stay close to the barn. He finds some low cover that's close enough to hear any ruckus and still keep eyes on Sterling.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:38 am

Marlin steps in with Devia. After his eyes adjust to his infravision, he sees that a couple of middle aged men are smoking some sort of pipe in the corner. The place has the weird, acrid smell that he's familiar with from these sorts of drug dens. They take no notice of Devia or Marlin, and there's little else besides used drug detritus around the barn.

They exit without issue as Kor takes note.

Heading back to the women, the group watches Sterling as he inquires about the drug addicts.

The women respond in Islander. "Very nice to meet the two of you," they say to Sterling and Arienne. When asked about the drug addict, they look at one another. The older woman replies. "There's a few of their type, mostly harmless. The sickness of the poppy has been a problem around here for a number of years. Lots of problems since the civil war. It's been less and less, but still a few here and there that have succumbed to it. Only real problem is if they run out of money they can try stealing things, but usually a good whacking with a stick drives them off. They haven't been a bother to you, have they?"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:27 am

Sterling translates for Arienne.

"No bother, really," he replies. "I take it the practice is illegal here in the Isles? Do the authorities take much of an interest or are they content to turn a blind eye so long as they aren't making too much of a nuisance of themselves?"

"You wouldn't happen to know where they obtain their drugs from, would you? It would be good to know the places to avoid while we're looking around. We don't want to run into unsavoury types and drug dealers can be awfully suspicious of people they think might be poking their noses in where they aren't welcome." :eh:

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Arienne nods. "We have problems in Seldar, too," she says. "The legality of the poppy drugs varies by barony, with those nearest Hild having the loosest restrictions."

The women answer Sterling's questions. "It is illegal here. The authorities have been good about cracking down on it since the Queen returned, but it was rampant before she removed Prince Lubbek."

"I'm not sure where they get the drugs. I've never had an interest myself," she giggles.

Return to “Play By Post”