Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Had to return old cable modem to Comcast. Their web interface sucks golfballs through garden hose, so I had to go in to the store.

Everyone in line acknowledged that I had been there first, even though I hadn't been standing in line, and I was done by two minutes after opening (and about half of that was waiting for the printer to warm up so it could print my receipt).
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:18 pm

McNutcase wrote:Had to return old cable modem to Comcast. Their web interface sucks golfballs through garden hose, so I had to go in to the store.

Everyone in line acknowledged that I had been there first, even though I hadn't been standing in line, and I was done by two minutes after opening (and about half of that was waiting for the printer to warm up so it could print my receipt).

I still say you should buy a modem. You honestly don't need to change them that often. Hell, I'm tempted to send you mine just so I have a reason to upgrade. :D
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Yeah I've never rented a modem. Although some services force you to use their equipment. Or at least there's no way to opt out of paying for it so you may as well use it.
Have you found the yellow sign?

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Bai Shen wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Had to return old cable modem to Comcast. Their web interface sucks golfballs through garden hose, so I had to go in to the store.

I still say you should buy a modem. You honestly don't need to change them that often. Hell, I'm tempted to send you mine just so I have a reason to upgrade. :D

And I say I am at my limit for Things I Can Afford To Think About, so no.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 pm

TL/DR: Good deeds pay off in the long run.

Long Version: I've frequented the FLGS about two miles from my house for over a decade. It's a nice place. Good space. Family friendly. I make sure to buy from them on occasion even when I could save a few bucks buying online. (If I could save big, I still buy online.) Anyway, as I think I've mentioned here, a couple of years ago when Blood Bowl made a tabletop resurrection with the 2016 edition of the game, I finally got off my butt and organized a league. It's still running. It's kind of a pain - herding mini players is time consuming. But it's growing. And that's great.

I'm planning on going to a big team tournament this summer (NAF Amorical Cup in June) and I was moaning a little about having to paint up a new team. I'm not 100% happy with my current elf teams. (I wanna play High Elf due to the rules pack for this tournament.) The store owner pops in and volunteers to paint me a team. For free. As compensation for all I've done. According to him, he estimates he's conservatively sold three boxes of the game, about eight or so team packs, and a couple dozen copies of Spike! magazine as a direct result of the league. He wants to say thank you.

I've very excited!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:14 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I was just informed that I'm inheriting ownership of an internal application. The grumbly is that this site is very poorly maintained and has pending feature asks that require API Permissions that themselves require Security Compliance that the site absolutely does not meet. So I get to spend probably the better part of next month creating security documentation and regular documentation and adding modern authentication to every access point of the site.

weeeeeeeee

Sounds like an excuse to build a new application from scratch.

I tried really really hard to pitch that, but the application is in use and a rebuilding it would delay access to the features for long enough that they're willing to live with the tech debt. Mostly because I'M the one that actually has to live with it. I'm going to push back again and say that fine I'll do the SDL compliance and complete the pending asks, but ONLY under the agreement that after that I can lock the application down from any future development. I'm not taking any new asks for it, and once I'm done it just gets to simmer until people finally need new stuff for it enough that they'll let me do a rebuild.

If you have a broom and replace the handle and then replace the bristles, is it still the same broom?

Always nice when you get to move a grumbly into the happy thread. I couldn't convince them to let me do a rebuild, but I did convince them to let me migrate the service onto a platform that actually has support and is competently build and maintained. It's still gonna be a lot of work, but it's work that won't be wasted in the long run.

This is the first time I've really, aggressively gone to bat for myself against stiff opposition in a professional environment; I'm very glad it went well.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Did both my and my girlfriends taxes. Done and dusted.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:25 pm

My finger prints are coming back!
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:29 pm

N00b13 wrote:My finger prints are coming back!

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:11 am

Revisions on my next novel, Summer of Crows are complete. Over the course of half-a-dozen editing passes, it shrank from 162,000ish words to just over 155,000. I'll do the layout this weekend.

The cover art is done. I'm waiting on a replacement map for the interior (the original is great, but hard to read in greyscale at the size I have to print it at), but I should be able to launch the book by the end of the month.

Thank goodness. I finished the first draft in November 2018, just before my wife's cancer diagnosis. This has been a slog. Now, at least, I can move on to the next project (Zack Jackson 5).
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Return to “General Discussion”