Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby N00b13 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 pm

The sun is green. But also so bright it looks white. We can only look at the sun via a filter and the most convenient one removes blue light.

Why I'm posting this?

Have you read the title?
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:10 am

I want to make a petition to change the spelling of every English word to the phonetic spelling complete with all the symbols etc. and teach kids the phonetic indicators in school.

That way no one would be confused as to how to pronounce any of the many, truly arbitrarily pronounced English words, and as a bonus written English would look like a cool fantasy langauge.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:19 pm

tombombodil wrote:I want to make a petition to change the spelling of every English word to the phonetic spelling complete with all the symbols etc. and teach kids the phonetic indicators in school.

That way no one would be confused as to how to pronounce any of the many, truly arbitrarily pronounced English words, and as a bonus written English would look like a cool fantasy langauge.

But what would you do about all the words that have different pronunciations in different places, such as route, for instance. Here we say "root" and in much of the USA you say "rout". Phonetically, those would be different spellings.

Tomato? :eh:

Then we have aluminium... :whistle:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I want to make a petition to change the spelling of every English word to the phonetic spelling complete with all the symbols etc. and teach kids the phonetic indicators in school.

But what would you do about all the words that have different pronunciations in different places, such as route, for instance. Here we say "root" and in much of the USA you say "rout". Phonetically, those would be different spellings.

Spell them differently by country, and everybody deviating within a country is just wrong.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Spell them differently by country, and everybody deviating within a country is just wrong.

Yeah Britain and the USA already spell some words differently, so that doesn't seem too crazy.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Every teacher I've ever talked to has said that that is a terrible idea. Beyond simple words like "cat" you don't learn to spell phonetically. You don't learn what words mean phonetically. You learn what words mean by how they're spelled. If you read the word "frakalakology" you know that it is a word that has something to do with the science or study of frakalak. And you know that because that's what words with "ology" on the end mean.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:34 pm

clintmemo wrote:

Every teacher I've ever talked to has said that that is a terrible idea. Beyond simple words like "cat" you don't learn to spell phonetically. You don't learn what words mean phonetically. You learn what words mean by how they're spelled. If you read the word "frakalakology" you know that it is a word that has something to do with the science or study of frakalak. And you know that because that's what words with "ology" on the end mean.

I guess that makes sense. I suppose it would depend to what degree expanding the phonetic indication part of the written word inhibits our ability to skip that part of the language when doing that direct "text to meaning" translation you mention.

On the other hand, in the broad scope, more humans have learned language while being completely illiterate than ever did by learning the meaning from the spelling, so while it may be true that now we learn the way you describe (for the most part) that's mostly just because that's the way we are taught and clearly isn't the only way it can happen.

On the other hand, I suppose that perhaps, while it is very possible for someone to become perfectly fluent in a language without being able to read or write a word of it, learning it that way first could greatly inhibit their ability to become literate in it.

Boy howdy humans are weird creatures.

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 pm

ɪts nɒt ə gʊd aɪˈdɪə.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:57 pm

okeefe wrote:

ɪts nɒt ə gʊd aɪˈdɪə.

I think you just proved that it would be AWESOME

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:39 am

tombombodil wrote:
okeefe wrote:

ɪts nɒt ə gʊd aɪˈdɪə.

I think you just proved that it would be AWESOME

Say it aloud to see what you need to do.
Say it allowed two sea what you kneed too due.

seɪ ɪt əˈlaʊd tuː siː wɒt juː niːd tuː duː.
seɪ ɪt əˈlaʊd tuː siː wɒt juː niːd tuː djuː.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “General Discussion”