Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby zircher » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

On the bright side, if New Zealand does win, you get to jump up on the table at work and do a Maori Hakka, right? National pride and all that. :D

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm

zircher wrote:On the bright side, if New Zealand does win, you get to jump up on the table at work and do a Maori Hakka, right? National pride and all that. :D

I mean, I could - I still vaguely remember one about pulling a boat ashore from when I worked in conservation. (NZ Government Jobs are weird) - But I think I'd get things thrown at me.
A lot.
By people who play cricket a lot & can really hiff an object with some force.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Last edited by Pruthian Caveman on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:19 am

Excellent episode. I'm impressed at the variety of ideas that came from this weird prompt. I confess that I just got stalled on the mental image of Leonard Nimoy saying in his best Mr. Spock voice "What does 'A Cheeky Nando's' mean?"

And it was educational too! I had to google Captain Swing, since previously I only knew that as the title of a Michelle Shocked album.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Episode One Hundred And Twenty Eight – Religious Cops Train To Fight Magic

The woefully underfunded members of the TZMP (Tserkovnyye Zashchitniki Moskovskogo Patriarkhata) must walk a line between keeping a low profile, maintaining interdepartmental peace with the uncanny Night Watch, and the disapproval of the authorities, while still managing to thwart the forces of Hell.

Your multi-denominational precinct of peace officers work diligently to maintain law and order, though your task may find you crossing into “differently-Holy” ground.

Odd-couple detective partnerships are a classic trope, but when one of the pair is a literal angel the cases they handle tend to involve obscure prophesy and dire omens.

Ably assisted this week by John H Reiher Jr – unlike us layabouts, he actually makes games! Check them out!

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Episode One Hundred And Twenty Nine – Aliens have landed at Gen Con and only stalwart games can defeat them!

Personifications of games emerge when the need is greatest to rally the forces of gamers in battle against an Alien Menace.

Alien Invaders arrive, looking for the most loyal representative of Earth to battle for dominance in a symbolic competition. Owing to poor translation skills and the inability to imagine that anyone might do things differently, they’ve found the Gen Con booth of Stalwart Games, who are about to have a very weird day.

A Meeple-Shaped spacecraft has crashed in through the roof of LucasOil stadium, and the invading forces are streaming out to take over. The MiBs are responding, but they need time, so it’d up to the Gen Con attendees to divert, confuse, distract, and possibly subvert the alien menace to buy that time.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Episode One Hundred And Thirty – I Owe it All To My Digital Wristwatch

Time travellers attempting to blend in run into problems when they don’t know that they’re not using the right language.

Cheesy 80’s Kids Shows, where sly end-of-episode comments are a private joke between the protagonists and the audience.

Corporate executives combine the powers of their ludicrously expensive watches to form … Captain OfIndustry!

Backwards & Ford: Gerald Ford travels through time, possibly with a team of plucky youngsters, righting wrongs & setting history straight. (Possibly battling Evil Nixon in an effort to restore Good Nixon, or maybe subtly influencing the timeline to produce the best possible Nixon )

A group of police officers notice that the weirdness they’re seeing matches elements from their theological or cultural backgrounds. Many different cultural or theological backgrounds.

When aliens issue a challenge for dominance, electric cart jousting is the only logical option.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:40 am

Episode One Hundred And Thirty One – We HAVE Had Multiple Donkey Upgrades At This Point

Taz suggests a solo hex-crawler about exploring & prospecting to supply a newly founded colony.

“We have to remake the world in order to save it” isn’t a situation that anyone wanted to get to, but once we found ourselves at that point, it’s understandable that the panicked re-making might not go 100% as planned. Now, hand me that update for equine bio-accumulation & oxygen transport, and we’ll see whether we can get your donkey feeling better.

A group of folks transformed into beasts of burden come up with a cunning scheme to get greedy knuckleheads to drag them, braying and kicking, into the locations they’re cursed not to be able to approach.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Episode One Hundred And Thirty Two – (Big Red) Couch Surfing

Couch-Hoppers – A mysterious ‘game’ found in a thrift store couch leads to hours of fun as you try to navigate alternate universes to find your way home.

Our Alternate Feed – A podcast discovers episodes they never made, in which people who sound and act just like them discuss events that never happened and things that don’t exist.

Remembering Big Red – A year after local surfing legend Greg “Big Red” Couch vanished while night surfing, people gather to remember him, and reflect on the year gone by.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”