The Criterion Channel

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
clintmemo
Paid to GM

Re: The Criterion Channel

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:The Elephant Man (1980 - US) This was the only David Lynch feature film that I havn't seen, and it's quite a bit different from his others. Follows the true story of a badly deformed man who was a sideshow and then discovered by a doctor. His quest to have a normal life. Very emotional and sad. Great performances by John Hurt and a young Anthony Hopkins.

I remember this being on cable back in high school, watching it and thinking it was a great drama, if somewhat slow for my tastes (I was maybe 16 when I saw it). But, of course, other kids had seen it, and they just made fun of it. I remember lots of asshole boys in my school going around squealing "I am not an animal!" and then acting like, well, animals.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri May 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Seeing this reminded me that there's a streaming service I've been meaning to check out, that focuses exclusively on high quality documentaries like those that used to be on national geographic and the History Channel.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm

The Brood (1979 - Canada) horror movie from Cronenberg, who specializes in body horror, although this film focuses a bit more on the psychological side. It was ok, not as good as Videodrome or Scanners, but still worth watching if you like horror.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Night of the Hunter (1955 - US) - classic depression era story of a corrupted preacher who hunts two orphaned children who are left with their parents money. It supposedly a horror movie, but aside from a few ominous images is really more about good vs evil. My kids ended up watching this and remarked that it's got the same core plot as A Series of Unfortunate Events (netfix show & book). It really does and they obviously ripped it off from here. At the time a bad priest was probably a lot scarier than today, where it seems to happen a lot more often.

Europa (1991 - Denmark) I'm a fan of Lars von Trier (melancholia, breaking the waves, antichrist) but this is not available on bluray and was glad to see it offered via streaming. Follows an American in post WW2 Germany who takes a job on a train. Mostly black and white, with sudden shots of color, even mixed in the same shot. Very dreamlike and hypnotizing both literally and figuratively. Narrator hypnotizes the audience at different parts of the film.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Cold Water (1994 - France) Teenage delinquent couple run away together after one last high school party in an abandoned warehouse. Pretty good coming of age story highlighted by the long party scene and great rock soundtrack. Ending is a bit sad, but I enjoyed it.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 am

The Love Witch (2016 - US) A current day witch makes love potions to seduce men, which ends up killing them. This is a cheesy B movie, but takes great pains to recreate a 60s vibe and technicolor feel, even though it is modern and set in present day. Other than the visual style it's forgettable, could be much better.

Barry Lyndon (1975 - UK) Stanley Kubrick's epic 18th century period piece which clocks in over 3 hrs. Follows the rise and fall of Mr. Barry as he starts as an Irish kid out on his own, joins the British army for the Seven Years War, defects to the Prussian side, becomes a spy, and eventually marries and takes up a life of nobility. Took me two nights to finish but well worth it. Every scene and landscape in this movie could be a painting. The kind of movie that makes you feel like you're engrossed in a novel you can't put down.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 am

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001 - USA) - rock musical about a trans lead singer and her life story, playing a tour of small midwestern restaurants. its pretty funny and a bit like rocky horror, minus the horror. not really my thing but the music is catchy.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Ace in the Hole (1951 - US) - Newspaper reporter takes a small town job and lands his dream story of a man trapped in a cave. He becomes the main contact for the man and prolongs the rescue effort as long as possible to keep milking the story. Kirk Douglas is outstanding and this disturbing take on the media is frightfully still relevant, if not more relevant, today.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:33 am

Lady Snowblood (1973 - Japan) A young girl trains to be a killer to enact revenge for her parents. This was based on the manga of the same name. Kill Bill was entirely based on this and the comparisons are many. From the plot, to the music, to the named chapters, to the squirting blood, it's almost like Kill Bill was a direct remake. Props to this original who did it all 30 years earlier.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:44 am

Police Story (1985 - Hong Kong) - action comedy starring and directed by Jackie Chan. Wilder than his US movies, the stunts are nonstop with his signature prop comedy included. The plot of a policeman protecting a witness is mostly there to put Jackie into different impossible situations. If you like cheesy martial arts movies with impressive stunts check it out.
-Casey

Return to “Moving Pictures”