Bittersweet things go here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: Bittersweet things go here

Postby Wihzerd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 am

BottledViolence wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:The bad news is that hurricane Nate is headed my way. The good news is that I'm far enough away from the gulf coast that the storm should be weakened considerably when it gets here. I don't expect my area to get flooded, but it's a very real possibility that my utilities might stop working for a few days.

I stocked up on non-refrigerated food earlier today, and I've got several gallons of water stored. That 5-gallon water cooler I bought for Dagorhir practice is paying off, as are the 3-gallon buckets I bought with the intention of being able to do laundry while camping at a Dagorhir event. I've got over 7 gallons of drinking water and 12 gallons for other purposes.

Here's hoping that I'm over-prepared, because otherwise this coming week is going to suck.

Apartment or house?

Apartment.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:46 am

Well, it looks like the worst of the storm has passed, and my power is still on. That's a relief. It turns out that Nate was pretty week by hurricane standards (category 1 at the coast, downgraded to tropical storm before it hit my area), and it also moved abnormally fast.

The part that irks me is that I've basically stocked my pantry with little more than snack foods, but now I know that my fridge, stove, and oven will still be working anyway. Do I want real food badly enough to go shopping in the rain?

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Kid has the day off school tomorrow, because it's not really safe to breathe. My mouth hasn't tasted this nasty since I quit smoking.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

McNutcase wrote:Kid has the day off school tomorrow, because it's not really safe to breathe. My mouth hasn't tasted this nasty since I quit smoking.

Is it only air quality issues there, or is there a realistic potential for more?

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Kid has the day off school tomorrow, because it's not really safe to breathe. My mouth hasn't tasted this nasty since I quit smoking.

Is it only air quality issues there, or is there a realistic potential for more?

Where I am, it's likely to stay "just" air quality, but it's really shitty air quality thanks to wildfires disturbingly close. Said fires are unlikely to get across the bodies of water between here and there, but it's bad enough we're getting respirators. Odds are good FEMA's gonna be involved real soon if they aren't already. But hey, kid has a day off school.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Evil Tim
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Evil Tim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:46 am

The bitter part: I have received a few emails from CoolStufInc and my order history from has disappeared. I suspect they tried to reach me on my phone, which doesn't work in the desert, and canceled my $700 worth of orders.

The Sweet part: Most of the $700 was an impulse purchase after impulse purchase and didn’t fit into my Modern deck. This will allow me to pick better purchases and spend a bit less…
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lime-Wielding Ninja
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Lime-Wielding Ninja » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Bitter: I will not be able to finish this college semester because [provincial politics]. I will also not be able to do the same classes next semester because seasonal affective disorder and [provincial politics].

Sweet: Full tuition refund because [provincial politics.]

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 am

Friend of my wife's Husband died on the 23rd. That's not the bitter part, neither one of them matter.

What does matter is that since this friend has nobody else to give a crap about her, Wife went over yesterday to spend time with her and take care of her for a few days. During which I happen to be off work. Woooo! Bunch of time off work all by my lonesome!

Downside: None of her cooking. God damn it, I was really looking forward to the stuff she planned on cooking for restaurant-closing-eve and restaurant closing day.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:Friend of my wife's Husband died on the 23rd. That's not the bitter part, neither one of them matter.

What does matter is that since this friend has nobody else to give a crap about her, Wife went over yesterday to spend time with her and take care of her for a few days. During which I happen to be off work. Woooo! Bunch of time off work all by my lonesome!

Downside: None of her cooking. God damn it, I was really looking forward to the stuff she planned on cooking for restaurant-closing-eve and restaurant closing day.

Wow! Just wow! At this time of the year in particular, it is such a good feeling to not be you. :D
"...with frikin' lasers!"

terrus
The Baron's Body Double

Postby terrus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 pm

So friend of mine called up to offer me a job with his company. I'd be in IT Customer Support, make more, work from home, have flexibility in my schedule and work with what sounds like a great group of people. Also no child care, no taking off to watch over sick children.

However I'd no longer be getting my government job retirement in the future. That is one reason I've stuck with my job is the promise of full insurance after retirement being paid for. I would also have to get insurance through my wife while we work as her's is much better though the pay will more than make up for that amount.

I'm conflicted about leaving the current job due to timing but it would also get me away from the job before it turns into a toilet fire because no one at headquarters has been keeping up with our inventory. My work load has also increased to add another job position to my title but still receive none of the benefits.

:boohoo:

Return to “General Discussion”