SoG AP Episode 0001

The ongoing adventures of the crew of Miss Lily's Vine.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: SoG AP Episode 0001

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 am

Episode 3 (?) - the prequel - was really entertaining to listen to.

"Who bought the fancy water!?"

Please keep this going.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Bobicus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:14 pm

clintmemo wrote:Episode 3 (?) - the prequel - was really entertaining to listen to.

Please keep this going.

I agree 100%! This is really fun.

I do have a question about the setting, though. I'm not a gun owner or aficionado, so this may just be a product of my ignorance. Where are people finding all these bolt action weapons? If I had to guess, the most common types of firearms today are semi-auto pistols and pump action shotguns. If they are the most common today, why aren't they still the most common in the SoG time/setting? Did someone manufacture a whole bunch of revolvers and bolt action rifles in preference to other firearms at some point between present day and the time of the game?
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Bobicus wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Episode 3 (?) - the prequel - was really entertaining to listen to.

Please keep this going.

I agree 100%! This is really fun.

I do have a question about the setting, though. I'm not a gun owner or aficionado, so this may just be a product of my ignorance. Where are people finding all these bolt action weapons? If I had to guess, the most common types of firearms today are semi-auto pistols and pump action shotguns. If they are the most common today, why aren't they still the most common in the SoG time/setting? Did someone manufacture a whole bunch of revolvers and bolt action rifles in preference to other firearms at some point between present day and the time of the game?

I don't remember who had what guns beyond myself. Pops had a pre war, almost perfect condition bolt action rifle. It was the most valuable thing he owned other than the boat and he gave it to 'Mopar'.

My main character, Lee, has a beat up double barreled, sawed off shotgun with no stock in a 'wrist wrecker' configuration. Some of it might be post war while other parts might be pre war.

Bro-Door didn't have a bolt action rifle but just the scope from one.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:12 pm

It's probably because bolt-action rifles, revolvers, and breach-loading shotguns have fewer moving parts to break. If a steel spring is valuable as a trade good it's probably because it is difficult to make with current tech level and so there are few replacement parts for semi-autos. Bolt-actions can easily last decades. WWI surplus rifles are still available today.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Bobicus wrote:Did someone manufacture a whole bunch of revolvers and bolt action rifles in preference to other firearms at some point between present day and the time of the game?

Regarding the PCs, I'm letting them explain that on their own, so I have no idea what the origin of their equipment is. However, the reason so many NPCs in this region have bolt-action weapons of uniform make is because they're being actively manufactured in St. Louis.

Some NPCs have pre-war salvage. And there are other kinds of weapons also in active manufacture, but the more complex they are, the lower the number being manufactured and higher trade needed to get one.

The farther they get from St. Louis, the more cobbled everything will become.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Hyperion » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Gyro LC wrote:It's probably because bolt-action rifles, revolvers, and breach-loading shotguns have fewer moving parts to break. If a steel spring is valuable as a trade good it's probably because it is difficult to make with current tech level and so there are few replacement parts for semi-autos. Bolt-actions can easily last decades. WWI surplus rifles are still available today.

A M2 .50cal from 1924 was found to still be in active service with the USArmy 94 years later, so it could be possible to find one of those somewhere intact and ready to kick ass. Just make sure you are on the butterfly end.

Eric Ausley
BABUSHKA!

Postby Eric Ausley » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:48 pm

I have an uncle who insists on hunting with his bolt action 30.06. I initially chose to have Motumar carry one because the character is very loosely based on him.

The wrinkle of having Pops give him the rifle and put the limit on his hostile nature was all Chad.
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.

fenrisnorth
BABUSHKA!

Postby fenrisnorth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am

It took me a little while to figure out that Mowgli wasn't running the bar...

Motumar

Mortimer

Eric Ausley
BABUSHKA!

Postby Eric Ausley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm

fenrisnorth wrote:It took me a little while to figure out that Mowgli wasn't running the bar...

Motumar

Mortimer

Motumar would be the worst bartender. Ever.
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 am

I do not really like AP, mostly it's people sitting around a table mumbling into poorly receptive mics. Or someone recorded their gaming stories for us to listen to... :soapbox:
I have listened to Crit Juice and that was more produced and some of the players are professional actors. You can see Matt Cook of Crit Juice on that new Matt LeBlanc show "Man With a Plan," the show is growing on me, I initially tuned in to see Matt a time or two.
I have also checked out Brian Posehn's Nerd Poker but the sound quality has been reaaly poor but I'm going to skip a few and hope it turns around.
All of that said I am enjoying SoG Ap, it helps that I know these guys so there is some buy in for me. The story has been compelling though.
Post-apocalyptic RPG about river trade and wine making, it's like a reality TV show fusion of The Deadliest Catch as seen on Food Network.
:rimshot:
THAT should be the tagline for the show.
Just saying.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Return to “Skies of Glass - Miss Lily's Vine”