Family Night RPG

We assume you're interested since you're on our forums.
Chad
Host

Family Night RPG

Postby Chad » Wed May 14, 2014 5:00 pm

I threw this together as the RPG rules for the game that I am going to run for Dawn and Skye tonight.

I'm sure it's unbalanced and breaks some dozen different rules of game design but that's not really my point.

The some of the design goals here are:

1. Get at least two different kinds of dice to be rolled together, added up, modified and then see if they are greater than X. The practical application of math in a game setting.

2. Offer choices where not every option can be taken.

3. Put in synergistic abilities to see if the boy picks up on them. Some of the abilities taken together can be really powerful, more so when working as a team.

Anyway, it's meant to be a little one shotter to introduce Skye to RPGs for our weekly family night.

The plot is going to be that someone has stolen the muffins from the kings fancy pants dinner part... BUT WHO!?!?

Assign a D6, D8, D10, and a D12 to your Muscles, Sly, Brains, and HP.

When the GM asks you to roll one of these attributes roll a D10 and add the dice you assigned to the attribute. If that number is higher than the difficulty number the GM gave you then you succeed.

On char gen can pick two abilities based on the highest D taken in the three attributes.

Muscles –
Once per combat:
Cleave – On a hit player can attack again
Over Power – Player can lift up a mob his size and throw it into another mob. Both take D8 damage.
Ignore the Pain – Player ignores all damage taken this round.
Power Overwhelming! – Add your Muscles dice to your damage dice instead of your lowest attribute.

Sly –
Once per combat:
Swipe – Player can steal an object from a mob.
Bonk – Player can knock out a mob for the rest of this round and all of the next.
Furious Attack – Player can make three attacks in one round with a small weapon or 2 with a medium.
Between the Plates – Add your Sly to the damage of your small weapons, ignore armor.

Brains –
Once per combat:
Polymorph – Turn one mob into a sheep, bunny, or a chicken for the rest of this round. All of the cloths and gear fall off of the mob if they have any.
Healing Light – Light up the area with a bright light, focus that light on a player, roll your Brains and heal them that amount.
Grease – Spray gooey, slippery grease over a large area. Anyone attempting to do anything more than standing still must make a Sly check of 13 before attempting the action.
Weakness – Reduce the Combat Rating of a mod by 6 for the rest of this round and all of the next.

Weapons –
Small Weapons (knives, saps, darts) 1D6 DMG
Notes: Concealable
Medium Weapons (Swords, bows, Hand Axes) 1D8
Notes: None
Large Weapons (Battle Axes, Crossbows, Spears) 1D12
Notes: Can only attack every other round.

Armor – Pick a number between 0 and 10 as your armor class. Decrease all damage you take by this much. This number is also a negative modifier to your attribute rolls, but you can divide it amongst your Muscles, Sly, and Brains instead of dumping it all on one.

Combat – Everyone rolls their highest attribute, highest goes 1st, next highest goes 2nd, etc.
To hit roll your 2nd best attribute plus a D10. If you roll above the combat rating of the mod you hit.
If you hit roll the damage associate with your weapon plus the dice from your lowest attribute.

Combat ratings are: 9 for a wimp, 12 for an average person, 15 for a professional, 18 for a heroic mob.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Family Night RPG

Postby Leoff » Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Actually it doesn't look all that unbalanced. What sort of scenario is it? You know we'll want to hear how it went. With anecdotes.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu May 15, 2014 12:53 pm

We where all burned out last night due to all of us having a generally crappy day so we didn't do anything for our Family Night.

We will be picking this up next week for sure.

Last week our Family Night consisted of going out to dinner then FroYo. After that we went to a comic shop. We let him pick a couple of comics from the kids corner and then pick out his own dice set and dice bag.

When we play I'm going to run a fantasy setting where our heroes are members of the kings court. The kingdom just finished with a long and terrible war and the king was so saddened by the loss of life he outlawed all killing everywhere. As the court heroes and dispensers of the kings justice it is the job of the party to quest and adventure and fight bad guys in the kings name but not kill anyone, they can knock them out (get their HP to zero).

Our heroes are attending the kings fancy dinner party when dessert is brought out, the royal chefs famous muffins. But when the lid on the tray is lifted the muffins are gone! DUN! DUN! DUN!

The when the group goes to investigate they will follow a literal trail of bread crumbs to different wacky characters, like the corrupt guard with the muffin crumbs on his chin, the pig keeper with his crazy farting pigs (long running inside joke between Skye and I), among others until finally they come upon a band of MERRY MUFFIN STEALING BARDS!!! After trouncing the bards in a fight when they question them they will find that they go from town to town stealing all of the best muffins for a MUFFIN STEALING DRAGON!!!! And really they where doing it just because they where afraid of the dragon.

Our party will then go off to find and possibly fight the dragon. They can talk the dragon into giving up his muffin stealing ways and turn good or they can beat him up.

This is all loosely based on my favorite childhood book The Muffin Dragon.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/656655.Muffin_Dragon

Or Skye might get hooked on the pigs and I might short circuit the plot to just have them be the real thieves if he spends to much time there. He finds pigs to be very funny.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu May 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I was part of a group that ran a Collaborative Storytelling workshop for for kids through 826 Michigan. It was essentially an intro to RPG fundamentals and the the end of the second session we ran different characters they made through a session of RISUS.

The first thing we did was draw a picture of a Goblin and a large cake on the board. We told the group to come up with ideas for getting the cake without using violence. It was a lot of fun.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu May 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Chad wrote:
< Awesome muffin mystery >

What if:

The dragon needs the muffins because its babies will not survive without them. She got the bandits to steal them because a dragon going to town to buy muffins would cause a panic. Skye can bring the dragon and town together, either through regular muffin deliveries or talking the town into not freaking out when the dragon arrives to buy muffins.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Sounds awesome!

I'm going to keep fighting on the table but I'm going to have Dawn nudge him to try and talk things out in the different situations.

Violence is so... easy. I want him to think.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu May 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Gyro LC wrote:
Chad wrote:
< Awesome muffin mystery >

What if:

The dragon needs the muffins because its babies will not survive without them. She got the bandits to steal them because a dragon going to town to buy muffins would cause a panic. Skye can bring the dragon and town together, either through regular muffin deliveries or talking the town into not freaking out when the dragon arrives to buy muffins.

:think:

I LIKE IT!

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:12 pm

But Chad look at your rules. I see a lot of combat stuff.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu May 29, 2014 10:32 am

Did this game happen and how did it go? I need to know if the muffin mystery was solved.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 pm

It did and it went great. I'm going to high-jack an episode to talk about it.

Return to “Role Playing Games”