Ask a Host

Anything related to our regular or bonus episodes.
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: Ask a Host

Postby Wihzerd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Do you guys still eat at Stumpy's Bar-B-Q?

Dan wrote:I can only offer one piece of insight cake and one piece of advice pie.

fix'd :mrgreen:

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Not as often as we used to. A couple of the hosts got really burnt out on the place. We did stop by there again a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, we discovered that Tuesday is now their "buy one, get one free" night and the place is an absolute madhouse. So our chances of going back again anytime soon is about nil.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Zanian0
King of the Universe (and Star Trek failure)

Postby Zanian0 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Dan wrote:Not as often as we used to. A couple of the hosts got really burnt out on the place. We did stop by there again a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, we discovered that Tuesday is now their "buy one, get one free" night and the place is an absolute madhouse. So our chances of going back again anytime soon is about nil.

That's the place I was trying to remember. You should see about making it a stop for the next Fear The Caves after FTC4. It may be mediocre, but it is an important part of FTB's history.
"Something something something, Canada..."

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Now you've got me imagining Stumpy's hanging a Fear the Boot plaque on the wall in similar fashion to those places claiming things like "this was Elvis' favorite restaurant."

Stumpy's Plaque wrote:STUMPY'S BAR-B-Q
FEAR THE BOOT
It was here that Dan Repperger & Co. sat every week for several months to eat the most mediocre wings in town!

"... Bar-B-Q?..." ~ Dan Repperger

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

New question (well for me), how goes development on the Skies of Glass and Epoch of Rysos projects?
--
TAZ

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue May 04, 2010 2:29 pm

You asked about two projects, but in the interest of being as transparent as we can, I'll talk about pretty much everything going on around here. Be forewarned that a novel's ahead.

There are three big objectives we're trying to accomplish right now. I'll list them in order of priority.

1. Hold the ground we have. I don't want the quality or consistency of anything we've already created to suffer on the altar of some new shiny thing.

2. Learn more. There are big projects we want to tackle, but we're just now finding out all of the things we didn't know we didn't know. So we've decided to try some smaller projects to learn (through failure, if necessary) about the process of putting out a big project.

3. Find focus. We have too many irons in the fire, both creatively and in our regular lives. We've just plain taken on too much stuff, and instead of finishing one project right, we have 100 things incomplete. Some of that can't be avoided. When I wake up ready to write and a day-job emergency comes up, I have to go deal with that. But in many cases we just need to cut the fat and focus on something. There's also internal debate on which project(s) we ought to be taking on (mostly it's SoG vs EoR). But we've all agreed we need to pick a small menu of tasks to tackle, get the clutter removed, and then proceed.

With that said, here's where the projects are all at...

FEAR THE BOOT

The podcast itself is doing quite well! While our numbers aren't exploding, they continue to grow. Our recent interview episodes have been well-received, and I've gotten tons of positive feedback on our current mix of hosts. The blog hasn't been as active as I would like, but that's mostly my own fault. I have articles from a couple of people I need to review and push live. I'm just getting pulled in a lot of directions right now, which is something I'm working to resolve.

Barring any major disasters, Fear the Con 4 will occur, and we learned some lessons from FtC3 that should just keep raising the bar. We'll also be doing the TOFTBCH network again at Gen Con 2010 for anyone that's interested.

You'll also see us teaming up with more podcasts. I've had conversations with a lot of podcasters on ways we can better support each other, and I think we've missed out on great opportunities by not doing so. I don't mean crossovers or host swaps, but rather working together on creative projects, promotions, and convention planning. While I was on the cruise, I had some heart-wrenching conversations with Don Dehm when I told him we'd been doing X, Y, and Z, and he replied, "If we'd only known you were doing that, the Pulp Gamer Network could have done A, B, and C to really support you guys."

CON PLANNER

This has been something of an unexpected hit. We used it for Fear the Con, mostly because we didn't like the other tools out there. But after its release, I got a shocking number of emails from cons of every imaginable size wanting to use it. I did not expect the level of demand we've gotten.

I've temporarily put my other projects on hold while I get this finished up. I'm sure I'll be adding features for a very long time, but I want to at least get a working copy out there to capture the market demand before turning my attention to other things. My current target release date is Monday, May 10th. I was shooting for May 3rd, but too much day-job stuff kept coming up and wrecking my schedule.

SKIES OF GLASS

Chris and Mikey Mason have been putting together a Skies of Glass comic. The first ~8 pages are out. Unfortunately, a car fire destroyed the computer Mikey was using for the art. They were keeping a weekly release on Mondays, which they hope to get back to. In the meantime, I think Chris and Wayne are planning to take turns keeping up Monday releases of short fiction or other articles. Once this confusion gets straightened out, expect an official announcement on the show and a much bigger publicity push. You can see where they're are over yonder:

http://www.skiesofglass.com

As for the really big SoG projects like an RPG or novel, those are on hold until we tackle some small projects (see #2 above) and decide which of the big projects we want to focus on (see #3 above).

EPOCH OF RYSOS

The wiki is still out there, but I have a lot of work I need to do on it. After Con Planner is re-released, I'll be getting back to wiki writing and working with Keith and Zircher for alien drawings and technology art.

I also have several installments of some serial fiction written. I'll be releasing the first several issues for free so people can decide if they like it or not. Installments after that will be sold for a low price. It will probably be published through Drive Thru's fiction site, but I haven't decided for sure.

Big projects like a novel or RPG are in the exact same boat as Skies of Glass, so see above.

UNNAMED PROJECT

I've had a comic script for an urban-fantasy-ish story that's been sitting there for a while. Like a lot of past projects, it's been rotting on the vine for lack of a reliable artist. Xhakhal is the current artist, and I hope it works out, because I like the synergy we've got going. And things look good so far.

If everything pans out, we'll be releasing pages on Tuesday and Friday of each week.

SMALL PROJECTS

Just as I'm working on EoR fiction to learn some more about the state of publishing, the other guys are also tackling small projects. However, I don't want to speak on their behalf regarding what those projects consist of, how far along they are, or whether they'll even make it out the door. They have their own mix of creative and real-life issues that may confound things. But the planned stuff is a mix of serial fiction, pamphlet RPGs, and setting modules. It's intentionally a shotgun pattern of diverse offerings so we can test the water in many places.

THE FTB WEEK

If all of this stuff comes together, it looks like we'll have a full work week of entertainment for you guys. Or at least that's the goal.

Monday - Skies of Glass comic or fiction
Tuesday - unnamed comic
Wednesday - podcast
Thursday - miscellaneous stuff (general blog entry or small project release)
Friday - unnamed comic

In summary, let me stress that we're tired of promising stuff and then never getting it out there. Whether it's our fault or just crappy circumstances, it still looks just as bad in the end. The real struggle we're going through right now is trying to figure out what we can reasonably accomplish amidst the chaos of life and which of those projects we're most interested in pursuing to completion.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue May 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Two other things I forgot in the previous book. Since we're an RPG show, consider this the downloadable errata.

FEAR THE BOOT NETWORK...?

Our partnership with PftD is just an experiment with no particular endpoint in mind. But if it works out, what do we do from there? Do we start looking at other shows that seem to compliment ours fairly well? Do we try to create a genuine network? Will that require some sort of portal site or aggregated feed? I have no idea, but if we do anything beyond what we have now, it will require some amount of labor.

PRESENTATION

Another question we have to answer is how to present all of this stuff. On the one hand, I don't want people to have to visit 10 URLs to see all of the stuff we're doing. On the other hand, I don't want to clutter up one site with an impenetrable wall of information, particularly when someone may only be a fan of one particular product. I have no idea what the solution to this issue looks like or how much work it will take.

big_bear_98
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby big_bear_98 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Dan,

Just an idea about keeping everybody up to date on everything that is happening in the great Internet country of Fear the Boot, would be to setup another website who's job would be just to grab the RSS feeds from all of the other websites that are in the FtB network. That way, if I ever go without Internet, I would be able to go to one website, view the archives, and catch up on everything that I messed about FtB'topia, which is what you should probably name the country.

Talonas
Learn2ChadStyle

Postby Talonas » Mon May 10, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks for the update Dan, you answered lots of questions I had regarding the various projects in one fell swoop. Awesome to hear about Epoc fiction and wiki etc, can't wait. This new unnamed comic project has me intensely curious also, as a huge urban fantasy fan I look forward to seeing your take on it.
Shared Sagas - An Australian RPG Actual Play Podcast.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Shared.Sagas/

Email
sharedsagas@gmail.com

Twitter
@sharedsagas

Gorkamorka

Postby Gorkamorka » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am

Q: Is PFTD FTC-9000 compliant? Is the FTC-9000 standard a requirement for all podcasts in the network?
Thankee for ep 101 (and shoutouts)
Swedish news in English, for when you are bored!
I've seen Nobuo Uematsu sing One Winged Angel :shock:

Return to “Fear the Boot”