Projects

Discuss tips, design ideas, offer/seek help, post news, and current projects
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Projects

Postby Leoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am

I don't know how much of a project this will be, or even could be, but last night as we and our neighbors were wrapping up a game of Compounded, my neighbor said, "This is great. It looked fussy as we were setting up, but it's simple enough as you play it, I think even my youngest could play this. Maybe leave off a few of these extras, just for a junior set-up..."
Well. That's a challenge. What can be left off to make it possible (and fast enough) for the not-quite-old-enough player? I must think on this.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:13 am

Leoff wrote:I don't know how much of a project this will be, or even could be, but last night as we and our neighbors were wrapping up a game of Compounded, my neighbor said, "This is great. It looked fussy as we were setting up, but it's simple enough as you play it, I think even my youngest could play this. Maybe leave off a few of these extras, just for a junior set-up..."
Well. That's a challenge. What can be left off to make it possible (and fast enough) for the not-quite-old-enough player? I must think on this.

:thumbup:
Easier set up is ALWAYS a good thing!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:52 am

For those who don't know Compounded: The core of the game is, there are 16 tiles laid out at a time, depicting molecular compounds. You have one or two tokens to claim those tiles (you start with one), and you get little plastic tokens each turn representing elements, which you then place on the tiles; you get so many each turn, you place so many each turn. As you finish the tile, it earns you more placement slots and storage space and gaining more elements per turn.
That's all quite straightforward. But you also can gain 6 different equipment things that change your play a bit; and there are lab fires. Leaving out the lab fires and about half the equipment would leave the game just as much fun, but probably easier for the very young.
It does require parallel planning in some ways, and I think some kids come to that a little later.
We'll check it out.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:32 am

New project, mostly done.
I shall try to set this up as a Google doc accessible by Booters.
I'm helping with a board game March break activity for children at the library, and the friend who roped me in taid what he was bringing, and concluded regretfully, "And it's St Patrick's Day and I don't have any leprechaun or St Patrick games." So I thought, "How about St Patrick Goes To Catan"? Catan is already nearly easy enough for most children, and to make it more like early Ireland and simpler, what if we left off the roads and replaced the bricks with more grain, sheep, and wood? The robber becomes Vikings, the roads are placed as snakes, for St Patrick and friends to drive out, ...
And so I worked something out. Because I love them, it includes fudge dice.
Buildings are placed in the middle of tiles, not on intersections. You have to be on a snake-free tile to build. You move on by rolling the fudge dice. After all snakes are cleared or someone has placed all their buildings, the winner is whoever has most. Buildings have a different cost because they are building with stone and wood.
Full details to follow when I figure out how to make that link.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am

Interesting way to re-purpose game components. Heh, you can make a whole game contest just off of that idea. :D

zircher

Postby zircher » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am

As for my projects, the holidays ate my muse and things have slowed down a bit. Project X (tactical space ship war game) needs some components and play testing. Sword and Gun needs more writing.

I did finish the Babylon JS course (one of my resolutions), but I'm not sure what programming project I want to tackle. I'm currently reading Transit, a powered by the apocalypse game where you play the AI on a ship. I'm tempted to make some automation tools for that game as part of my web toy resolution for this year.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:04 pm

St Patrick Goes To Catan

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mp0 ... sp=sharing

We played it yesterday afternoon. It works!
It is definitely a different pace of game than regular Catan. And we decided that playing it in future, we should be able to use a double plus to move two spaces (so as to be on a tile that gets resources). It was fun, and we will play it again.

zircher

Postby zircher » Fri May 15, 2020 4:55 pm

The muse is still on vacation so I decided to double down on the learning of tools. Currently taking a course on Godot which is a quality free open source game engine for 2d and 3d game creation.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 am

zircher wrote:The muse is still on vacation so I decided to double down on the learning of tools. Currently taking a course on Godot which is a quality free open source game engine for 2d and 3d game creation.

I love Godot. Definitely the best, free, lightweight, programming-first game engine.
Have you found the yellow sign?

zircher

Postby zircher » Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Make excellent progress on my procedural spaceship creator (written in Godot.) I even did a local export to HTML and it was playing nice. Not ready for prime time yet, but this is my favorite way of learning a language by making something.

Return to “Fear the Boot Game Designers Guild”