Projects

Discuss tips, design ideas, offer/seek help, post news, and current projects
zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Re: Projects

Postby zircher » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:25 am

For those that are curious what the three questions can look like, here is our current draft:
---
Designer Notes
Jared Sorensen came up with something handy called the three questions. I think they are a great thing to consider before, during, and after game design.

What is your game about? Project X is a tactical space combat game, but it is also an attempt to address the balance between games that are too simple or complex. The reason that a lot of us are drawn to space gaming is our desire to replicate the fun and dramatic action that we see in the movies and in TV shows. Bur, what we tend to get is either something too abstract (like being an arm-chair admiral) or too detailed (space lawyers.)

How does the game do this? We want to bring several mechanics into play that are designed to accomplish this without bringing in a ton of rules and systems. Weapons are rated by using polyhedral die types, no need to look up a big table of weapon statistics. The other item to use the Damage Allocation Template to handle battle damage.

How does your game reward/encourage this? Using a die type for most weapons systems means less rules to look up and simplifies their use in combat. You can still have a variety of weapon designs, but without the crunchy rules needed to distinguish the same set of dice used for all weapons. The DAT rewards play by being an intuitive way to design a ship, record damage, and determine how weapon damage is applied to the hull. It streamlines damage allocation, rewards tactical positioning, and graphically shows a ship’s status.
---
What is the take away for me and my co-designer? Simple intuitive systems, no rules bloat, everything the player needs on the ship sheet. The game should feel more like a fast moving RPG rather than a duel between spread sheets or accountants.

shadesofeternity
'something' per Dan's request

Postby shadesofeternity » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

k I'll give it a college try

Name is the Hodgepocalypse

What is your game about?

www.drevrpg.com

My elevator speech is

The Hodgepocalypse takes North America and the 5e system and makes it a diverse world filed with magical rites, modern technology and bizarre cultures.

Enjoy a fantastic, but familiar world of Necromantic Armies, Texan Witches, Newsie Faeries and Newfoundland Spellcasters.

It originally came from inspiration from Rifts, Fallout and Halflife, but it became it's own beast.

How does the game do this?

I used the 5e engine as my bases to see how quickly it could be adapted.

The main differences are as follows:

1. We did our own species to push the envelope. We added "species traits" to allow for powersets to be taken as feats to balence playability and gameplay.
2. We used a 4 class / 3 path system to get our categories so it couuld be modified and tweaked to taste.
3. We did our own modern weapons rules because dag nab it, sometimes you want to fire a rocket launcher at a flying creature.
4. magic is slightly unstable. It was inspired by dungeons and dragons. I added a spell flux table if you roll a 1 or a 20. While there are failure possibilities, it's more to keep things entertaining.

How does your game reward/encourage this?

Well besides the standard mechanics of killing something and take their stuff,
I created the skill montage system that allows you to essentially pull off crazy things and get away with it.

So why am I here?

Well mainly to offer my services and see how I can help?

I'd love help gametesting of getting this out, but ultimately, I want to try my hand at smaller projects and to network with my fellow gamers.

You can contact me at drevrpg@gmail.com

zircher

Postby zircher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Well, that's an interesting creature. i get that old school vibe like Arduin.

shadesofeternity
'something' per Dan's request

Postby shadesofeternity » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you. :)

It was a labor of obsession that I'm more then happy to show and am willing to send complimentary copies in the next month or two when done and if interested.

but I'd also love to bring up another game.

This might be more appropriate under shameless plugs, but posting here mainly to see what happens.

I got this friend whom created and fine tuned this game

It's called Eschaton and it's a transhuman space politics game and powered by the apocalypse engine.

Here is a link.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uqT ... AEtik/edit

here's his contact info
https://twitter.com/RPGloryZen

It's been kinda been in production limbo for years and with our group usually degenerates it into space fiasco (although it might have been myself picking the faction rocket robin hood).

I'd like to get people outside our usual stomping grounds give it a try and send feedback to the writer.

my real question is how do you help somebody get their game done.

He's been sitting on the game for years and after my own experience of taking forever to get my game done, I'd like to help where I can beyond game testing, but obviously there's a line.

Any ideas of how to help?

zircher

Postby zircher » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am

Ya know, I think that is is perfectly fine to post that here since this is more a feedback thing than a plug for a finished game. I'll be adding it to my lunch time reading list. :)

zircher

Postby zircher » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting stuff, in some ways I'm getting more of a Microscope vibe than one of an RPG. The one on one option looks particularly good for world building/story telling. I noticed that you cross posted to the Misdirected Mark forum, so I'll give that a read as well.

zircher

Postby zircher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 am

Still making excellent progress on Project X. The updated star ship builder has new features and a new look to the icons. The rules are up to 35 pages and technically in a playable state. While 35 pages might seem like a lot, the rules are actually much more streamlined with lots of art (and spots for future art) and examples. Working a tutorial, scenario generator, campaign rules, and source books.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Really glad to get back into this amazing community.

I've been working on a game recently using MonoGame as the framework. It started as a visual novel (just because I don't have the resources to do something more ambitious), but I am trying to add a little bit more to it. Still a long way to go, but I am working on the script and I know where I want the story to go, hopefully with some branching paths.

zircher

Postby zircher » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Cool, sounds like a great way to scratch that writing itch and coding desire at the same time.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 pm

zircher wrote:Cool, sounds like a great way to scratch that writing itch and coding desire at the same time.

Exactly! I've been using a neat framework for writing games called Ink. It's basically a programming language that's designed for stories.

In addition to their own titles, it was also used to write The Banner Saga.

Return to “Fear the Boot Game Designers Guild”