Hi, I'm Alex

Stop by to introduce yourself and tell us a little about you.
Alex Sandoval
BABUSHKA!

Hi, I'm Alex

Postby Alex Sandoval » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi guys I'm Alex.

I live in Lansing Michigan. I'm a 43 year old stay at home dad. I have a beautiful wife of 10 years and two lovely children ages 6 and 9. I should probably learn their names. I try to raise my family with Christian values, figure out how things work in the world, how things work in my life, and try to get a regular table top RPG group going if I find any spare time. I have successes and failures on all fronts.

I love role playing games and got started rather young with the Red Box D&D and a few friends. I have DMed more than played. I enjoy both roles. Although it has been quite a while since GMing and I'm quite rusty. I have long since been burned out on hack and slash although I have recently been exposed to some crunchy games where the wait in battle no longer feels like I'm at the DMV.

I found Fear the Boot podcast two or three years ago and have listened to them almost daily ever since. I wear an mp3 player in a bag around my neck and often listen to episodes while I am doing my chores. As I write this the wife is teasing me calling me a fanboy and saying my icon should be a 16 year old girl jumping up and down screaming. She is convinced that I am only getting on here to watch the hosts sitting around a table and marvel at how they hold their pencils.
In suffering say "I'll change my actions so I don't ever bring that." :clap: Or say "life is suffering and I know who is to blame." :evil:

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Hi, I'm Alex

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 am

Hello, good evening, and welcome... :D

"...with frikin' lasers!"

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

... and Welcome!

Alex Sandoval wrote:She is convinced that I am only getting on here to watch the hosts sitting around a table and marvel at how they hold their pencils.

...and you can at Fear the Con! They're really just normal people, but with oddly familiar voices. ;)
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

Oddly enough I had a conversation with some of the hosts recently about how we hold our pencils. :lol:

Devin Parker
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Devin Parker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Welcome to Booter-space, Alex! The community here is awesome, and as mentioned, you really should go down to Fear the Con to watch them hold pencils in person. Best con I’ve ever been to.

Alex Sandoval
BABUSHKA!

Postby Alex Sandoval » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Going to Fear the Con is on my bucket list but sadly finances and family duties have prevented me from going thus far.

Until the day I can meet you all in person, hosts and booters alike, I will continue to live vicariously through stories and the podcast from you all while enduring the wife's teasing of my new Fear the Boot dating site... :facepalm:
In suffering say "I'll change my actions so I don't ever bring that." :clap: Or say "life is suffering and I know who is to blame." :evil:

Alex Sandoval
BABUSHKA!

Postby Alex Sandoval » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Chad wrote:Oddly enough I had a conversation with some of the hosts recently about how we hold our pencils. :lol:

Some how I'm not surprised...

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:10 am

You know, you've got a couple of potential little gamers right there in your house. ^ and ( is not to young to start (carefully). Have you looked at The Trouble With Rose? I've used it often with younger players.

Alex Sandoval
BABUSHKA!

Postby Alex Sandoval » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 am

Leoff wrote:You know, you've got a couple of potential little gamers right there in your house. ^ and ( is not to young to start (carefully). Have you looked at The Trouble With Rose? I've used it often with younger players.

I am acutely aware of the gamer potential in my home. My particular problem is that I am in the minority when it comes to a decent attention span. I got the family to sit down to make characters for The Princes's Kingdom but we only made it half way through character creation when the kids wandered off and the wife got frustrated.

I have not yet looked into The Trouble With Rose but I will now. I have hope in that I picked up a whole bunch of Rory's Story Cubes and the kids love that as an activity. I also stole the idea for settling some disputes between the kids by having them roll a d20 and they come to me for the dice I keep in my pocket now.

I don't want to push too hard and make them resent it so I am biding my time for the kids to gain a little more maturity and the wife to find a time to relax around people so she won't get fed up and go do something on her own. Never thought about it until I married someone who works retail how valuable her alone time would be to her.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 am

Oh, yeah. Making games night into a chore is a fun-killer. And the attention-span thing is a real challenge. It has to be fun in its own time, its own way, and the right genre for the kids as well as the adults. And then you do have something special.

Return to “Introductions”