Location, Location, Location!

Fire up the hype train! CHOO-CHOO!
User avatar
Aisha
Audio Engineer
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Behind Brodeur
Contact:

Location, Location, Location!

Postby Aisha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 am

So, I'm hoping someone who's been to this place before can point me out a good spot to hang out during the day.. Preferably with drinks, and lots of air conditioning - Alaska never made someone more heat resistant, that's for sure.

Anyway, you should also use this thread to recommend places to go nearby to each other, I guess.

ps, I won't say where I am until after I've already scared the shit out of Brodeur.
"Hexalicious" is not an appropriate flavor designator.

User avatar
DJZachLorton
Pat's Knob Polisher
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby DJZachLorton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Every place in St. Louis has air conditioning, so you're safe there.

If you're going to be in town before Friday, many people usually converge on the STL area to do tourist-type stuff. On Thursday, most people who are already in town hang out at the hotel and play board games, maybe a pickup RPG or two. The rest of the week, people often go sight-seeing. The St. Louis Zoo, Gateway Arch, City Museum (actually, NO AC here), Central West End, and the University City Loop are popular destinations.

If you're talking about during the convention, there are plenty of places you can go an hang out. Coffee houses, bars, Ikea . . . It all depends on what you want to do. I'm a local, so feel free to let me know what your interests are, and I'll make some more pointed recommendations.
DJZachLorton
#1 Ranked Mobile DJ/MC
in St. Louis and surrounding areas
http://www.facebook.com/zach.lorton
http://livingonthebackburner.blogspot.com

User avatar
Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7271
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Colfax, Louisiana

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

We found a board game cafe called Pieces last year. They have a decent menu, AC, and plenty of games.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

User avatar
DJZachLorton
Pat's Knob Polisher
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby DJZachLorton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:We found a board game cafe called Pieces last year. They have a decent menu, AC, and plenty of games.


We are officially hosting a post-convention brunch there on Sunday this year! Starts at 10:30 am.
Very cool place with a great atmosphere and TONS of games.
DJZachLorton
#1 Ranked Mobile DJ/MC
in St. Louis and surrounding areas
http://www.facebook.com/zach.lorton
http://livingonthebackburner.blogspot.com

User avatar
constructacon
Pat's Knob Polisher
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:24 pm
Location: Blue Springs, MS
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby constructacon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

Aisha wrote:ps, I won't say where I am until after I've already scared the shit out of Brodeur.


love it!

also the first year i went we all just kinda congregated like a flock of geese at the hotel breakfast area and decided what to do for Thursday while waiting for the mixer

User avatar
Aisha
Audio Engineer
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Behind Brodeur
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby Aisha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am

DJZachLorton wrote:Every place in St. Louis has air conditioning, so you're safe there.

If you're going to be in town before Friday, many people usually converge on the STL area to do tourist-type stuff. On Thursday, most people who are already in town hang out at the hotel and play board games, maybe a pickup RPG or two. The rest of the week, people often go sight-seeing. The St. Louis Zoo, Gateway Arch, City Museum (actually, NO AC here), Central West End, and the University City Loop are popular destinations.

If you're talking about during the convention, there are plenty of places you can go an hang out. Coffee houses, bars, Ikea . . . It all depends on what you want to do. I'm a local, so feel free to let me know what your interests are, and I'll make some more pointed recommendations.

In particular I'm looking for someplace that's very close to / inside the con building so I can walk around when my leg hurts less, but retreat when it hurts more.
"Hexalicious" is not an appropriate flavor designator.

User avatar
Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant
Posts: 3857
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:09 am

The con is inside the hotel these days, so there's no shortage of air conditioned spaces. Also there is a pool if memory serves. I never remember to bring swim trunks but it's there.
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

User avatar
Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7271
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Colfax, Louisiana

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

Triggerhappy938 wrote:The con is inside the hotel these days, so there's no shortage of air conditioned spaces. Also there is a pool if memory serves. I never remember to bring swim trunks but it's there.


The pool isn't huge, but it does go partially outside. There's also a workout room with treadmills IIRC.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

User avatar
DJZachLorton
Pat's Knob Polisher
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby DJZachLorton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am

Yes, The Drury has plenty of space to sit and chill outside the main gaming rooms. You'll never want for space, and there are even some couches right inside the door that you can use to lounge if you need to stretch out.

You can also click this link for restaurants near the hotel.

And here's a link for bars & pubs near the hotel.
DJZachLorton
#1 Ranked Mobile DJ/MC
in St. Louis and surrounding areas
http://www.facebook.com/zach.lorton
http://livingonthebackburner.blogspot.com

User avatar
terrus
The Baron's Body Double
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Abilene, Tx
Contact:

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby terrus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

The zoo is free and you can visit the Penguins and Puffins. :D


Return to “Fear the Con 2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest