Game 7 Prep

The ongoing adventures of 3 dwarves, an elf who loves dwarves, and a human who wants to be a dwarf as they try and find a home.
John
Host

Game 7 Prep

Postby John » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am

*****players, do not read!!!*****

Ok, Game 7 prep time. This is the home stretch as this campaign arc will probably end at Game 9. And this particular adventure will probably end at Game 7. My overarching goal is to set up the possibility of a Game 8 - Game 9 two-parter that covers the attempt to rescue the surviving Ironbloods back at Iron Mountain and/or the liberation of Iron Mountain itself.

The Site 79 reveal: The scout dwarves from the days of yore got here, but were detected almost immediately by the Underdark inhabitants connected to the mine-worthy adamantium caves, deep underground. The particular underdarkers in this corner of the world are Duergar dominated by Thrak-Ghaash cultists/demonologists.

The plan is to reveal that this same process is going on under Iron Mountain right now. Most of the Ironbloods are still alive and toiling beneath Iron Mountain, in chains, extracting the adamantium. When they're finished, they'll be killed like the dwarves under Site 79 were. Unless, of course, meddling PCs save them.

Grodin: Grodin's alignment changed and he got a keep. It's been several in-game weeks since this happened so I'm going to say that the trials of his former co-conspirators have all gone well enough that the ones who aren't already locked up/dead have fled for their lives. He has also been acquitted at his own trial by an overjoyed jury of nobles. When the Ironbloods get back home they will find that one of Grodin's ye olde times lawyers is there demanding to see the patriarch. He has been ordered to offer services to dwarves in need until he has made adequate material penance, which given how nasty he was before he drew the alignment-changing card will take him a very long time. I think I'll make this wildly open-ended but if they need prompting, Grodin's lawyer has a bunch of mercenary contracts from highly skilled battalion-strength bands that could serve as the frontal assault to distract the demons/duergar while the PC group (plus trapmakers? Nirgrim? Khabak?) gets down into the bowels of Iron Mountain and does whatever they decide to do - incite and arm a rebellion of the captives? close the hellgate? go through the hellgate and fight inside it/open up their own portal to the Golden Halls? All this and more? There are lots of possibilities.

More specifics on the lower level to follow. Module-using viewers will no doubt realize that the first two levels of the dungeon have been a slightly modified version of The Forge of Fury, but its inner bowels will be much more altered to reveal things about the Ironblood world and set up the finale. The boss fight will also be a shadow/demon encounter of my own design.

John
Host

Re: Game 7 Prep

Postby John » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am

scattered notes of things to work in:

1. golem's parentage
1a. spot is a rebel shadowling from thrak-ghaash's lowest ranks but maybe he has a true/former form they can restore him to
2. if someone dies in the last battle they wake up in the golden halls and there's a way to bring them and a horde of ancestors spirits into the fight
2a. this could be khabak or a PC
3. grodin's turnaround
4. denethor moment with the provisional king? I think he'll still be a good guy and will help rescue urist the real king. urist is definitely still alive and breaking rocks for mithril beneath iron mountain.

more to come of course.

Return to “D&D 5E - The Ironblood Dwarves”