SoG AP Episode 0001

The ongoing adventures of the crew of Miss Lily's Vine.
Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request

SoG AP Episode 0001

Postby Bobicus » Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of this AP. I went to the library today and picked up Wicked River by Lee Sandlin to catch up on the required reading. ;)
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

Chad
Host

Re: SoG AP Episode 0001

Postby Chad » Sun May 21, 2017 7:56 am

:lol:

I loved that book!

We tried to record the 1st game but right when we started, like Dan is describing the opening sort of what is going on and we haven't even gotten to the "Okay, what are your characters doing?" bit, Karla comes down with an emergency. We are going to try again in a couple of weeks.

Bobicus

Postby Bobicus » Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 am

Through Part 1, and I'm overcome with a desire to know what kind of boat your characters will have. I imagine it will become similar to how they describe the Serenity as a character in its own right in the Firefly show.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am

I'll be dropping what we got recorded early this week. Maybe even tonight. We managed to get Eric's character setup and integrated, I gave a little background, and then (as Chad said) right during scene-setting, Karla came down with an emergency that halted the game.

To answer your question, they have a keelboat. I'm basing it heavily on the Mandan.

Though not a pic of the Mandan, here's another one I'm using as a reference for how the boats were operated.

And a site I'm using for general reference...

http://travellogs.us/boats-ships/Keel%2 ... 20Boat.htm

I described their boat as having a beam of 15 feet, length of 50. Total cargo of 20 tons, but due to their horses and supplies, only 15 of that is open for trade goods. However, the session we were about to play is a prologue that takes place 5 years earlier, so they're on a boat that's really similar, albeit not the exact same one their party will own.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon May 22, 2017 4:56 pm

looks pretty even-keeled

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Dan wrote:I'll be dropping what we got recorded early this week. Maybe even tonight. We managed to get Eric's character setup and integrated, I gave a little background, and then (as Chad said) right during scene-setting, Karla came down with an emergency that halted the game.

To answer your question, they have a keelboat. I'm basing it heavily on the Mandan.

And a site I'm using for general reference...

http://travellogs.us/boats-ships/Keel%2 ... 20Boat.htm

I described their boat as having a beam of 20 feet, length of 60. Total cargo of 20 tons, but due to their horses and supplies, only 15 of that is open for trade goods. However, the session we were about to play is a prologue that takes place 5 years earlier, so they're on a boat that's really similar, albeit not the exact same one their party will own.

This reminds me of the time I tried to play Gamma World. In character creation, all but ONE of the characters started with their own keelboats.

whdr02
Teller of gaming stories

Postby whdr02 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Bobicus wrote:I'm really looking forward to hearing more of this AP. I went to the library today and picked up Wicked River by Lee Sandlin to catch up on the required reading. ;)

I put it on my reading list. I know nothing about that sort of thing, past my reading of Huck Finn. Chad needs an amazon link for it.
Reading-Radio Parent/child book club podcast.
Raising two geek girls.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Here you go:

http://amzn.to/2qXEtLr

Wicked River: The Mississippi When It Last Ran Wild

A riveting narrative look at one of the most colorful, dangerous, and peculiar places in America's historical landscape: the strange, wonderful, and mysterious Mississippi River of the 19th century.

Beginning in the early 1800s and climaxing with the siege of Vicksburg in 1863, Wicked River brings to life a place where river pirates brushed elbows with future presidents and religious visionaries shared passage with thieves. Here is a minute-by-minute account of Natchez being flattened by a tornado; the St. Louis harbor being crushed by a massive ice floe; hidden, nefarious celebrations of Mardi Gras; and the sinking of the Sultana, the worst naval disaster in American history. Here, too, is the Mississippi itself: gorgeous, perilous, and unpredictable. Masterfully told, Wicked River is an exuberant work of Americana that portrays a forgotten society on the edge of revolutionary change.

FYI - I signed up as an Amazon affiliate to see how the whole thing works. That link is an affiliate link.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed May 31, 2017 6:10 am

Chad, if you are looking for a cod piece, perhaps you should consider the Black Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Bobicus

Postby Bobicus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm

After listening to ep 2, I felt like the AP could have a tagline:
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only WINE!

Return to “Skies of Glass - Miss Lily's Vine”