Gill needs to go -ep25

A collection of forums for the Fear the Boot Actual Plays form the past to the present.
geraldkw
BABUSHKA!

Gill needs to go -ep25

Postby geraldkw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:59 am

I liked Chad's character a lot in the previous part of the game, but Gill is driving me crazy. Every time there is something interesting that I want to see the characters do, Gill bullies everyone into not doing it.

I am not sure what this character is contributing by refusing to interact with anything, or follow any plot hooks or communicate with anyone.

Also I feel like his failure to seriously pursue the lead about Poe's family should be a last straw for someone in the group to finally stand up to him, but apparently none of the other characters can muster the backbone.

Am I way out in left field here? What do you(,dear reader,) think?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Gill needs to go -ep25

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 am

I think Gill is the classic character that starts out as a selfish asshole but then starts to give a shit about someone besides himself and becomes less of an asshole over time.

I also think Chad's latest "Gill compromise where no one is satisfied" was Chad totally meta-gaming because he knows the plot is in Chicago. I only say that because Dan was talking in a recent FTB episode, which I think was recorded before the actual play and which Chad was on, that the players are too afraid of Chicago and need to go there and he needs to find a way to get it to happen. He also mentions that he thinks the characters have become too soft and that something needs to happen to push them out of their comfort zone. He also said he had been sitting on a plot thread that has been in plain sight the whole game that could shake things up. So either Dan immediately took his own advice or he wants to be an Olympic games commentator. ;)

...or I'm misremembering everything.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 am

clintmemo wrote:I think Gill is the classic character that starts out as a selfish asshole but then starts to give a shit about someone besides himself and becomes less of an asshole over time.

I also think Chad's latest "Gill compromise where no one is satisfied" was Chad totally meta-gaming because he knows the plot is in Chicago. I only say that because Dan was talking in a recent FTB episode, which I think was recorded before the actual play and which Chad was on, that the players are too afraid of Chicago and need to go there and he needs to find a way to get it to happen. He also mentions that he thinks the characters have become too soft and that something needs to happen to push them out of their comfort zone. He also said he had been sitting on a plot thread that has been in plain sight the whole game that could shake things up. So either Dan immediately took his own advice or he wants to be an Olympic games commentator. ;)

I resisted the urge to push back specifically for the meta reason of that episode about Chicago.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

geraldkw
BABUSHKA!

Postby geraldkw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 am

clintmemo wrote:I think Gill is the classic character that starts out as a selfish asshole but then starts to give a shit about someone besides himself and becomes less of an asshole over time.

Okay I guess he's following the meta plot hook, but I want to know what's in the darn bunker in Amboy!!! :x

geraldkw
BABUSHKA!

Postby geraldkw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 am

Title notwithstanding, Gill is certainly and interesting character because he's exactly the kind of person I despise in real life and probably Chad is modeling him this way because he feels the same way about this sort of person.

As for personal growth I think it's realistic that he hasn't suddenly pulled a Han Solo face turn and is evolving in a more natural way. Still it's infuriating to "deal" with this character, and if I was in a post apocalyptic setting with this guy in real life I might actually end up shooting him.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Gil is an asshole. :lol:

I think the issue is that all of the characters are deeply involved with the over all deep plot, the 'Real Game' so to speak. They are all caught up in their own personal drama and pain as well as this weird assed conspiracy with freaky lizard chicks, rogue AIs, and big world powers.

Gil, on the other hand, is a nobody. He had his drama before the game started and it's over. It wasn't very conspiratorial or anything like that either.

How that plays out is that everyone wants to walk into a meat grinder to follow the whiff of an idea that might be a plot thread for their drama with no thought to their, or others safety. Gil on the other hand is more even headed, he sees the danger (real and imagined) and wants to steer clear of it.

He's also a bully, he doesn't get into fights he can't win. But he's also self destructive so the longer he is idle the more his risk aversion goes away.

He bullies his friends because he's an asshole and it's all he knows, he's a very broken person. But don't mess with his friends. He almost killed Dunk in the bar. His intention was to go to the bar and get into a fist fight but when Dunk looked like he was going to hurt Jr Gil was moments from killing him.

Going to train rather than Amboy or whatever it's called wasn't really my goal. OOC I knew that the characters wanted to go to the bunker for whatever reasons and the Gil had zero connection with any of it. I had him throw out the plan for the train as IC it was a safer play with a more known reward and OOC I knew it would make the characters start talking about the real reasons (or lie a LOT) on wanting to go to the bunker thus making for an interesting RP scene. I honestly thought we'd be heading to the bunker by the end of it but Jr started dropping Real Game bombs which caused the whole thing to break wide open.

The Chicago thing was a meta decision (I was OOC-ly helping Dan from the conversation on the ep, he never asked me to do it but I gave him the assist anyway) but something Gil would have done. All this conspiracy crap is flying way over his head and all he knows is that someone is trying to manipulate and hurt his friends, so he wants to take them away from that but his plan is nonsense. If someone had called him out on it he wouldn't have been able to defend it.

Also, Gil really is an asshole. :lol:

geraldkw
BABUSHKA!

Postby geraldkw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Yeah the other characters are pretty caught up in themselves and their weird ass character story paths, often ignorant of real threats. This story is definitely delving more into weirdness than the "main storyline".

As someone becoming a big fan of this setting I am curious to see how weird Dan will go in this "realistic apocalypse", so that's part of my interest in the bunker. I'm sure wherever the story goes wackiness will ensue though.

I am guessing whatever exists for a rule book for this game leaves a lot of this stuff open to GM interpretation, but I feel like the Miss Lillie's Vine game was a bit closer to the default setting, if such a thing exists, than this current game.

Return to “Fear the Boot Actual Plays”