How do you enjoy life?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: How do you enjoy life?

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Chris wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:But Chris, if you lived in a teeny tiny little house ... where would you keep your ENORMOUS WANG?

It's "Dong" and that's what storage sheds are for. :thumbup:

Hey, I'm foreign. Sue me. :whistle:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Flaming Penguins
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Flaming Penguins » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as my grandma passed away recently and I've taken today off work to get my head together after the nightmare of dealing with not only the grief, but with a family "reunion" that could not have gone worse if they'd tried.

Do you live life to it's fullest?

I don't think so. I've tried hard to live a good life, I have a career in welding, a lovely wife, and a roof over my head (although not the ideal setup at the moment). Despite that I feel like I'm not doing anything interesting with my life, and I mostly divide my time between sleeping, working, and the short period after work where I'm waiting to go back to sleep. I feel like this is the cycle I'm stuck with for the rest of my life.

What are some things that you do that make you feel alive?

Well, literally right now I'm sitting by a lake. I was working on a bracelet, which I certainly enjoy. I have one or two good friends I try to see when our schedules sync up. I was learning drums, but since we moved I can't play my acoustic kit, so I'm trying to save up for an electronic one.

What simple and basic things bring balance and meaning to your life?

The outdoors. I like to bike places and just relax. I enjoy good conversation, but I can rarely find one lately. I really enjoyed the conversations on this forum, I'm not sure why I haven't frequented more. Then again, when I stopped using forums I also stopped reading and creative writing, so I guess I just haven't had much to say the last few years.

Take some time and think about these things. And then think about the things that you want to do to bring more life to your life.

First off, I gotta find a different job. I enjoy welding to an extent, but not enough to spend my life sticking metal together. I'm hoping to eventually get a CS degree of some caliber and take that wherever it takes me. Alternatively I'd like to start some kind of business, but I wouldn't even know where to start.
Second and most importantly, I'd love to learn drums and start (or join) a band. Ideally I'd like to get my sister in on this, as we haven't been very close and I think this would be a great way to get in touch.

That said, despite getting eaten alive by these mosquitos, it's a lovely day today. Sorry for my one post ever being a bit of a downer! =P

"What is up with this penguin?" - Shamus Young, FtB 68

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:04 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Chris wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:But Chris, if you lived in a teeny tiny little house ... where would you keep your ENORMOUS WANG?

It's "Dong" and that's what storage sheds are for. :thumbup:

Hey, I'm foreign. Sue me. :whistle:

Nah. I'll just declare my independence from you and your silly taxes.
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 pm

I have never really understood the meaning of "living life to it's fullest" - I mean, I have heard the various explanations over the years, but it has always struck me as a rather vague, Rorschach-like term. Does it mean enjoying your life as much as you can? Doing the best (morally/socially/career-wise) that you can do?

However you define "live life to it's fullest", I doubt anyone really does, and I certainly don't. But that's okay, I am generally satisfied.

Playing with my daughter. Hiking in the mountains. Listening to ghost stories on my iPod while out for walks at night. Exploring new places or ideas.

Trying to live in a consciously responsible way, spending time with my family, taking walks, gaming.

Take some time and think about these things. And then think about the things that you want to do to bring more life to your life.

Most of them are things that I am already doing - being more aware of how I spend money and what I eat/drink; spending more time with my daughter and giving her more attention; trying to find ways to make my family's financial future more stable.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Oh hellz no. Someone has to pay the bills.

Creating things, namely games and silly little web toys that produce random but entertaining characters and such. Staying in touch with people via the internet, more often than not complete strangers that share my interests. Playing with my dog. Talking to my son.

Electricity. Really, things tend to degrade quickly without it. I'm not post-apocalypse material.

Take some time and think about these things. And then think about the things that you want to do to bring more life to your life.

I've been trying to cut back on my video games to allow more free time for learning and game development (pen and paper as well and electronic.) I want to do a major project with my son either as a coder or 3d modeller.

I should include more exercise. I freaking hate exercise. I like cool, dim, and quiet places like my computer den or a library.
--
TAZ

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:34 pm

zircher wrote:I should include more exercise. I freaking hate exercise. I like cool, dim, and quiet places like my computer den or a library.
--
TAZ

I cannot agree with this statement more. That's why I tend to work out either in my room (for sit ups/pull ups etc) or outside when it's overcast (running biking). The sun honest to goodness stresses me out. Cloudy, cool, and drizzly is how I like it.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Return to “General Discussion”