How do you enjoy life?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Graytigeress
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

How do you enjoy life?

Postby Graytigeress » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 am

My brother's dog, Goldie, had to be put to sleep today. She was 15 years old and dying. I lived at home before I got married and my little brother was in high school at the time. I helped train and raise her from a puppy.

Her love of life was her Frisbee. We got her the soft doggie kinds and she would play fetch with it for hours at a time... rain, snow... whatever, she was up for a game. She loved to bend the Frisbee up like a taco and carry it in her mouth. It went with her wherever she went.

She played with other things as well, but the Frisbee was her life.

Do you live life to it's fullest?

What are some things that you do that make you feel alive?

What simple and basic things bring balance and meaning to your life?

Take some time and think about these things. And then think about the things that you want to do to bring more life to your life.

Then post.

If you do feel that something religious or political is central to your life and you feel the need, try to be as general, non confrontational, and respectful as possible.
In me the tiger sniffs the rose and watches butterflies!

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Re: How do you enjoy life?

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 am

Graytigeress wrote:Do you live life to it's fullest?

Ehhh... Doubtful.

Graytigeress wrote:What are some things that you do that make you feel alive?

Masturbate. Argue with people. Insult people. Game. Set things on fire. Harass cats.

Graytigeress wrote:What simple and basic things bring balance and meaning to your life?

The act of living gives life its meaning. So ... everything. Including this, right now. As for balance? Why would I want balance? Balance is a horrible thing. I try to keep my life unbalanced in the favor of good and fun things.

Graytigeress wrote:Think about the things that you want to do to bring more life to your life.

Then post.

Get enough money that I can waste less time making ends meet and more time enjoying myself.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Noble Bear
Wants to try and hold a conversation in Pretty

Postby Noble Bear » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 am

I LIKE IT!
A bear there was!
A bear! a bear!
All black and brown and covered with hair!

Aaron Stack
The TOFtBCH Trigger

Postby Aaron Stack » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 am

You know, I ask myself this question every day. And I have yet to find a satisfactory answer that really applies to the stated parameters.

Generally speaking, that which gives me satisfaction has nothing to do with making me 'feel more alive' - as nebulous as that is - and more about creating peace in myself and my environment. Things that give me satisfaction typically include:

1. Removing desire - either through obtaining the object of my desire, or through the giving up of that desire
2. Accomplishing tasks and attaining goals
3. Understanding more of the inner workings of reality

For me, it's not about whether I enjoy myself. Pleasure is fleeting and ultimately has no utility. It's about transcending my mortality, leaving behind the weakness of the human condition, not being subject to any limitations but those which I choose.

I think Life is too transitive, too short to be concerned with it for its own sake. What matters is what you create, what mark you leave behind.
Triggerhappy938 wrote:You must be careful, Aaron's is the d4 that will pierce the heavens!

Chronicles of Spire: Rebellion - Now on Smashwords and CreateSpace!

The Boulder
NZB Leftenant

Postby The Boulder » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 am

I pt, and flirt, my biggest joy in life is a good conversation at ihop that lasts literally all night.

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

GT, your post reminded me of this poem by David Berman. Particularly the ending, of course.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 am

Crush my enemies. See them driven befoore me. Hear the lamentation of their women.

Seriously, though, I try to avoid doing things I don't gain from. The gain can be personal, physical, financial, but I try to make sure everything is a net positive.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Lime-Wielding Ninja

Postby Lime-Wielding Ninja » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 pm

I go to church. I help people. Those are the bare bones of what I do with my life, and what I want to do with the rest of my life.
I wish I lived life to it's fullest, but I don't know how. Maybe I am living life to it's fullest and haven't noticed yet.
I don't know how I could bring more meaning to my life, other than the completely impossible unfeasible...whatever.

runester
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Postby runester » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I feel most alive and therefore enjoy life the most, when I am focussed outwards.
  1. Interacting with others, tellings stories, sharing a meal, gaming, etc.
  2. Learning something new, stretching my mind in some new direction - especially if I can share that with someone, afterwards.
  3. Building / Creating / Contributing something. A program, a short story, a doodle - whatever. As long as I'm absorbed in the creation of some expression.

Ironically, the more I focus on the questions "What makes me happy? What should I be doing? How does my life measure up to others? To my own expectations?" The less happy and more miserable I am.

=-=-=

I think I would go NUTS if I couldn't communicate with people. Like, even if I was given free reign to wander some super cosmic library and could learn anything about anything with no limits, but was then barred from telling anyone about ... that would be HELL! I guess I would rather be dumb and gabby then smart and silent. ;)
~runester~
Join Jeb, Mikey, and I for All in the Reflexes and There's a Problem With Your Face!
[My avatar is Raphael the holy knight advanced by Fredaugis]

Brandmeister

Postby Brandmeister » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm

I minimized both possessions and clutter in my life. People seem to focus on the spectacular when asked about life satisfaction, but I think an enjoyable life is more about contentment. I like reading books, taking long walks, debating obscure technical and philosophical points over a couple pints, that sort of thing. Almost all of my hobbies are free or creative.

Minimalism brings all sorts of comforts, especially financial ones. Most people have no idea how to live below their means, and many more haven't the slightest clue how to increase their means through hard work. Folks just flit from luxury to luxury without every truly savoring it, which is a waste of time and money.

When you're in the proper state of mind, a small piece of dark chocolate can be better than an entire bar.

Return to “General Discussion”