Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby N00b13 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 am

mindtakerr wrote:
N00b13 wrote:My grandmother who passed almost 2 decades ago had a music box. It was a beautiful thing with a magnetic seagull that would fly around while it was playing. I had thought it lost but the other day while sorting my sister's stuff from her old apartment we found it. The frame was broken and the seagull was missing but the mechanism worked and the glass was intact. I just 3d printed a new frame and a new seagull.

This was one of the things I remember most of my grandmother's house. Fixing it I will admit has brought me to tears.

That's awesome, man! I am glad you are able to repair it.

Thanks. Gave it back to my sister yesterday. She was just about as moved as I was.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:52 am

Ikoma wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
K-Mech wrote:For me it's the "downtime" factor.

How long does it take to charge? I can stop at a gas station and have a full tank in a matter of minutes. Hours and hours of charging? No thanks

Downtime only matters if you want to drive it instead.
If you can park it in your garage and charge it when you sleep, there is no effective downtime.
Drive to Target and charge it in their parking lot while you shop.
A long trip might be an issue - drive it for 300 miles then quick charge it while you eat lunch. I'll bet people's vacation driving habits might change - drive 300 miles in a day because that is the limit of their EV.
Maybe if you drive across the country on vacation, you should rent an ICE.

CDP Grey did a nice video on this. If I get the chance, I might find it and link it.

But the gist is that a supercharger station can give you several hundred miles worth of charge in 20 minutes. Supercharger stations are currently mostly in big cities / states and along *major* roads. Pulling into a charging station, hooking up your car and then taking a bathroom break, grabbing a burger (and eating it), and then having enough charge to finish your day's driving is totally doable. The bigger problem of an EV is when you get to the hotel. At home, you can plug into your home trickle charging station. But hotels may or may not have a charging station. That can leave you plugging into some odd electrical sources that might take 12 or more hours to fully charge your vehicle. (Grey ended up having to rent an RV spot one night at a nearby RV park so he could plug into the electrical box and it still didn't give him a full charge while he was asleep.

EV's are not (yet) good vacation / road trip vehicles. They are great commuter / errand vehicles.

You did forget to mention he drove thrue the rockies. And that video is a couple years old now. Current supercharge map range looks like this.

Is it perfect. No but it is going in the correct direction.

That said with 2020 teslas breaking 400 miles on a full battery it makes ev roadtripping more doable.

I think this was the vid you were talking about.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am

N00b13 wrote:

That said with 2020 teslas breaking 400 miles on a full battery it makes ev roadtripping more doable.

Engineering Explained had a good explanation of the problem with the long range batteries from an environmental standpoint. Personally, that's not why I want an EV, and not an argument I use in favor of them, but for those who it matters to, the proliferation of longer range EVs may not be a good thing. As always, YMMV, more to the story, no free lunch, etc. Regardless, it's an interesting point. Essentially the longer range, the longer it takes to balance out the emissions from producing them. For something like a leaf, it's a couple years for normal driving in most places. For something like a 400 mile Tesla in some place like West Virginia, it might be almost 20 years.

He has a few good videos on the subject.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:54 am

BottledViolence wrote:
N00b13 wrote:

Engineering Explained had a good explanation of the problem with the long range batteries from an environmental standpoint. Personally, that's not why I want an EV, and not an argument I use in favor of them, but for those who it matters to, the proliferation of longer range EVs may not be a good thing. As always, YMMV, more to the story, no free lunch, etc. Regardless, it's an interesting point. Essentially the longer range, the longer it takes to balance out the emissions from producing them. For something like a leaf, it's a couple years for normal driving in most places. For something like a 400 mile Tesla in some place like West Virginia, it might be almost 20 years.

He has a few good videos on the subject.

Even then it is improving. There is work being done on remanufacturing the cells or transitioning them to secondary uses. Your long range battery down 15% switcher out and repackage the cells for a not as demanding task like a UPS.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Should we consider starting a thread for emerging vehicle technologies? I ask because this subject has lasted quite a while and doesn't seem likely to run out of [insert energy source here] any time soon. I suggest quoting the major points from this conversation in the first post.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:31 am

Wihzerd wrote:Should we consider starting a thread for emerging vehicle technologies? I ask because this subject has lasted quite a while and doesn't seem likely to run out of [insert energy source here] any time soon. I suggest quoting the major points from this conversation in the first post.

I could see a car talk thread gaining traction.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 am

BottledViolence wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:Should we consider starting a thread for emerging vehicle technologies? I ask because this subject has lasted quite a while and doesn't seem likely to run out of [insert energy source here] any time soon. I suggest quoting the major points from this conversation in the first post.

I reckon it could have some mileage.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:44 am

Lord Foul wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:

I can see it being popular in a roundabout way.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 am

Chad wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:

I can see it being popular in a roundabout way.

Can we hit the breaks on the puns and just put the thread into high gear already.

. . .

Cars.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

Last night as I was driving home, I got an emergency message from the local PD. 17-year old autistic boy missing.

He was found several hours later, several miles away from his house up on the local mountain side. No word on how he wandered away from home or why he went to a local hiking trail, but he was found safe and sound. It's amazing how worried you can get about people you did not even know earlier in the day. And how relieved you can feel when they are found safe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”