Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 12, 2020 12:43 pm

So the wife woke up Sunday moving to find she had received a cough, fever, and tight chest for Mother's Day. A quick check in with the county's health web site indicated they did want her to come in a get tested. She drove herself over to the local hospital's parking lot. Test took maybe 10 minutes top to bottom. On the phone, they told her she would get the results in 2 to 3 days. At the testing site, they said 2 to 4 days. They asked our whole family to completely quarantine until we knew the results. Results came in this morning. As my wife put it, "I have never been happier to be just sick in my life." She tested negative.

Of course, her symptoms were mild enough there was a little part of me that was all, "Let's just get this over with..."
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Tue May 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Ikoma wrote:Of course, her symptoms were mild enough there was a little part of me that was all, "Let's just get this over with..."

I think most of us would gladly take a little two day cold in exchange for those sweet antibodies.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am

Just sent my last final exam to the professor. Assuming I don't fail (safe bet I'm going into this with an 85) I'm done with college. . . for now.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm

N00b13 wrote:Just sent my last final exam to the professor. Assuming I don't fail (safe bet I'm going into this with an 85) I'm done with college. . . for now.

WOOOOOOOOO :beer:
Have you found the yellow sign?

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Just got my grade for Law.

:mindblown:

I scored a 105% on my essay and 110% on my final. My final score for the class is 101%.

That means I have gotten an A in every single class for the past year and a half I've been back in college. I got a 4.0.

I repeat,

Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 am

N00b13 wrote:Just got my grade for Law.

I scored a 105% on my essay and 110% on my final. My final score for the class is 101%.

That means I have gotten an A in every single class for the past year and a half I've been back in college. I got a 4.0.

I repeat,

:ugeek:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am

The internet is an cool and awesome place (among other things).

My dad has in his possession a letter my grandfather's grandfather received in 1919 from the old country (Sweden) that he (and everyone in between) kept. But no one (besides grandpa John) knew what the letter said, who it was from, etc. During this whole social distancing stay at home thing, my dad's gotten a little squirrely with family history research projects and wanted to get it translated. So I've been working with him (remotely) to get it scanned, converted to a PDF, etc. Yesterday I posted it to r/Svenska. Today I have a rough translation. Crowd sourcing works!

It's nothing ground breaking. It's from his sole surviving sister. She talks about her two oldest boys and what's going on with them (one is in America as well at this point in Minnesota). She mentions the horrible Spanish Flu that's going around (deja vu) and hopes John's family is getting through it as well as hers is. She talks about the end of the war. She complains about food shortages but then says the family is saving up their rations to help one of her sons who is still in the army. She mentions a niece who got married, widowed, and had a daughter, all within one year and in that order. She does mention all her littler kids who are still at home. She wants to know what's up with him. Pretty basic stuff.... from 100 years ago.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu May 21, 2020 6:09 pm

After six years, Wargaming is finally cancelling World of Tanks support for the 360. Why is this a happy?

A. They are giving players who are 360 players a ton of free stuff when they log into an X1. How does WG know you are a 360 player? Easy, you logged into your account from a 360! So... I can dust off the 360 which is connected to the upstairs TV mostly as a Netflix/Hulu/streaming box and/or DVD player, log into WoT, log out, turn the 360 off, log into the X1 and BOOM... two free premiums (including a black tank), 30 days premium time, and 10 warchests (which might have premium tanks).

B. The almost certainly presages crossplay with the PS. WG has said it's coming sometime this summer. Lot's of people speculated it would be challenging to get crossplay working between the old 360 hardware and the two more current consoles.

C. This also almost certainly presages an upgraded version of the game to play on the PS5 or SeriesX.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 am

This should really be a "bright ideas, happy thoughts" post but we don't have a thread for that.

With COVID carrying on, and some of our usual game night people being very cautious what with susceptibility etc., this is a perfect time to order some of those six-inch dice, and have hula hoops at fixed distances. And it'll be a perfect setup for one-shots where the GM deliberately splits the party.
Ooh, we can get lots of hula hoops and lay them out in a hex pattern.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Leoff wrote:This should really be a "bright ideas, happy thoughts" post but we don't have a thread for that.

With COVID carrying on, and some of our usual game night people being very cautious what with susceptibility etc., this is a perfect time to order some of those six-inch dice, and have hula hoops at fixed distances. And it'll be a perfect setup for one-shots where the GM deliberately splits the party.
Ooh, we can get lots of hula hoops and lay them out in a hex pattern.

I'm seriously considering making a category of my boardgames where don't ever have to touch each other's components. Maybe a really oldschool Euro-game like A Feast for Odin.

Return to “General Discussion”