Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
John
Host

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby John » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

It was warm enough to open a window today during my twilight struggle move-making lunch break

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm

N00b13 wrote:Bad news. Hours reduced at work. Good news i have a plan to get half days on Fridays.

Unlike last year thanks to my raise I'll still be making half my rent payment each week and I've kept my credit card down so i won't be hurting for cash. So if i can swing leaving at 1 on Friday's and get an early start to my day off i don't see a downside.

2 things.

First i talked to my boss. I didn't have to ask him about my hours. He asked me.

Next a guy on the train asked to barrow my phone to make a call because his had died. I lent him my portable charger. He used it made his call and gave it back. Helping an honest man is a good thing. A situation that looked sketch turned into a good moment.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 am

clintmemo wrote:My wife's boss wants her set up to work from home ASAP.
As a result, I am getting a new 32" monitor for myself. :D

because the 27" that I have is just to right size to fit on the desk she is going to be using and Costco has a 32" for just a few dollars more than their 27" so why would I not go bigger?

1080?
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 am

Bai Shen wrote:
clintmemo wrote:My wife's boss wants her set up to work from home ASAP.
As a result, I am getting a new 32" monitor for myself. :D

because the 27" that I have is just to right size to fit on the desk she is going to be using and Costco has a 32" for just a few dollars more than their 27" so why would I not go bigger?

1080?

Yes, it is merely a 1080, not a 4k. However, it works well, given how far the monitor is from where I sit. It's a big corner desk with a keyboard tray. I actually measured the distance from my face to the screen last night because I had this debate with one of my players - 51" if I am sitting upright.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 am

clintmemo wrote:Yes, it is merely a 1080, not a 4k. However, it works well, given how far the monitor is from where I sit. It's a big corner desk with a keyboard tray. I actually measured the distance from my face to the screen last night because I had this debate with one of my players - 51" if I am sitting upright.

Ah. I knew someone back in the day that used a 32" TV as their monitor. They sat considerably closer than you, though.

Personally, I much prefer my screen real estate. I'm not sure I would go 4k on less than 27". My biggest complaint is that my desktop won't let me snap to 4 1080 windows.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am

Bai Shen wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Yes, it is merely a 1080, not a 4k. However, it works well, given how far the monitor is from where I sit. It's a big corner desk with a keyboard tray. I actually measured the distance from my face to the screen last night because I had this debate with one of my players - 51" if I am sitting upright.

Ah. I knew someone back in the day that used a 32" TV as their monitor. They sat considerably closer than you, though.

Personally, I much prefer my screen real estate. I'm not sure I would go 4k on less than 27". My biggest complaint is that my desktop won't let me snap to 4 1080 windows.

Right now, I have 4 screens: all different sizes with 3 different aspect ratios and 3 different color capabilities.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Triggerhappy938 wrote:
Johann wrote:I invested a chunk of my BitCoin balance into some Gunnar glasses while on vacation, so they would be waiting for me on return.

While they make me look like a total douche I must say I'm impressed by the reduction in the omnipresent headaches I usually have.

I'm going to say: worth the cost.

Wait. You bought something. Something tangible.

With bitcoins?

o.o

Just as a followup, those glasses were a very poor decision. :lol:

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Johann wrote:
Triggerhappy938 wrote:
Johann wrote:I invested a chunk of my BitCoin balance into some Gunnar glasses while on vacation, so they would be waiting for me on return.

While they make me look like a total douche I must say I'm impressed by the reduction in the omnipresent headaches I usually have.

I'm going to say: worth the cost.

Wait. You bought something. Something tangible.

With bitcoins?

o.o

Gunnar's are one of those things that sound like a snake-oil pitch, but then just actually work. A game company I worked at for 5-months a few years ago bought them for all their developers and artists.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Johann wrote:

Gunnar's are one of those things that sound like a snake-oil pitch, but then just actually work. A game company I worked at for 5-months a few years ago bought them for all their developers and artists.

Oh, they worked. But they were also one of the last purchases I made clearing out my Bitcoin balances. Then I look back a few years later and the coins I spent on them could have paid off my mortgage. :)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Johann wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Johann wrote:

Oh, they worked. But they were also one of the last purchases I made clearing out my Bitcoin balances. Then I look back a few years later and the coins I spent on them could have paid off my mortgage. :)

Ahhh gotcha.

My dad was going to buy ~60,000 dollars worth of Microsoft shares back somewhere close to ground zero for that boom, but one of my aunts vociferously talked him out of it, he ended up only buying ~6,000 worth. That 6,000 turned into 650,000. Seems churlish to complain, and I guess I'm not really complaining, but oh what might have been.

Return to “General Discussion”