Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Chad
Host

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:40 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
John wrote:The early reviews are a bunch of nervous tiptoeing around the massive number of bugs. I'm gonna wait.

Tons of bugs huh, good thing they crunched the dev team to absolute death for like 6 months straight to get it ready for a holiday launch :puke:

Is that the one who was getting death threats? :roll:

I've never been involved in a game launch, but having been involved in a lot of projects much bigger than one, I'm willing to bet there's plenty of blame to go around for why the launch was delayed multiple times and the finished project is very much unfinished.

Yeah :puke: , FF15 and No Man's Sky also got death threats and crap because of the delays. Many games need a lot more time than they get to be ready for launch anyway and then publishers and the gaming public feed into this frenzied need to have it ASAP, and it's the QA departments, programmers, SDETs and other ground level staff that get punished, both by the public and by back to back to back to back to back 80+ hour work weeks.

And then there is Super Giant. :love:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:24 am

I'm a software developer but I've never worked on games. I've always imagined game development as the collision of all the worst aspects of the business side of software development:

1. Deadlines that generally cannot move.
  2. Bleeding edge technology.
  3. Constantly shifting priorities.
  4. Endless scope creep.
  5. Overbearing personalities.
  6. High profile project.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 am

7. An utterly abysmal fan culture.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:35 pm

8. An overly eager and easy to replace workforce
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Ikoma wrote:8. An overly eager and easy to replace workforce

I really wish people understood that supply and demand applies to the workforce and jobs.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:42 pm

I've some friends who used to work in game dev. It's really can be toxic. My friend literally saved the company tens of thousands if not the company as a whole (tldr saved the server and work stations from death). But she got tossed to the curb while working 70 hour weeks to make deadlines.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:23 pm

N00b13 wrote:I've some friends who used to work in game dev. It's really can be toxic. My friend literally saved the company tens of thousands if not the company as a whole (tldr saved the server and work stations from death). But she got tossed to the curb while working 70 hour weeks to make deadlines.

Yeah, there is adequate supply and demand for all types of people in the AAA games industry but they still resort to just the worst most abusive management strategies they can get away with (stuff that is absolutely not similarly routine in other most other tech industries). Cyclical routine layoffs during years where the companies reported record profits, overworking and underpaying skilled workers, giving employees minimal or no benefits/support.

I have at this point held multiple jobs within professional game development and elsewhere in mainstream software development and have done a lot of research into the aspects of both industries (both for job hunting purposes and out of curiosity) and it is just so much worse for the average worker at a AAA Games publisher.
Have you found the yellow sign?

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:56 pm

It's a dream job for too many people. The temptation to pay low and order 70 hour weeks is a lot louder when management knows that there's an infinite line of wannabes out the door, many of whom are very good at their very difficult jobs and willing to work 70 hour weeks for low pay, to replace anyone who won't put up with it.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:16 pm

To get back to happy...

ALL the Star Wars, Disney, Marvel news yesterday. Holy cow! :shock: :clap: :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “General Discussion”