Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby Knaight » Sat May 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Lord Foul wrote:We don't appear to have that problem in Wales...

I'm definitely feeling these colors. The variety in shape is a little lacking for my taste, but the vibrancy is so nice.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Utah's DMV has added a nice little 'appointment' feature. You go online, schedule a time (not all times are available because other people will have nabbed times as well), and show up. There is a second line for people who scheduled ahead that completely bypasses anyone who just showed up. While you are not guaranteed to get to the desk AT the scheduled time, it will be close. Functionally, the policy just serves to smooth out arrival times. A big rush of people who just show up just before you will not clog up your afternoon.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Mon May 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Ikoma wrote:Utah's DMV has added a nice little 'appointment' feature. You go online, schedule a time (not all times are available because other people will have nabbed times as well), and show up. There is a second line for people who scheduled ahead that completely bypasses anyone who just showed up. While you are not guaranteed to get to the desk AT the scheduled time, it will be close. Functionally, the policy just serves to smooth out arrival times. A big rush of people who just show up just before you will not clog up your afternoon.

California has had that for a while. Generally the first available appointment is the thick end of two months away.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm

You do wanna plan ahead. That's for certain.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 am

In MO you just take a number and they have rows of chairs to wait at.

Some DMVs are better than others but it's likely more a perception thing.

About an hour wait is normal. I clear my morning and bring a book.

The real balance is drinking enough so you aren't thirsty but not so much that you have to go to the bathroom.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue May 07, 2019 12:48 pm

I am 54 and have never experienced this horrible cliche I keep hearing about.

I go to the local satellite office of my county government.
It is a mile from my house.
I don't go at the end of the month.
I walk in and talk to the person sitting at the desk and she takes care of me immediately and I walk out. Once in a while, there is a person in front of me and I have to wait.

Once every 4 years I have to go to the county seat, which is 15 miles away, to get a new license and have my picture taken again. When that happens, I might have to wait for 3 or even 4 people in front of me.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Tue May 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I am 56 and I have never had to visit the DVLA (our version) in my entire life.

I got my driving license 3 weeks after my 17th birthday and it runs out when I am 70.
I get my yearly road tax renewed at my local Post Office, which is a mile away in a cottage.

:D

Also... 45K... bitches!
"...with frikin' lasers!"

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I am 56 and I have never had to visit the DVLA (our version) in my entire life.

I got my driving license 3 weeks after my 17th birthday and it runs out when I am 70.
I get my yearly road tax renewed at my local Post Office, which is a mile away in a cottage.

Also... 45K... bitches!

For all the "I'm British, I know how to queue" jokes, it's America that loves its bureaucracy and its little bits of paper.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm

At one point, the head of our DMVs decreed they would remove ALL clocks from the branches so people wouldn't focus on how long they'd been waiting.

It went over like a lead balloon and was never implemented. That being said, I don't remember the last time I waited for more than 10 minutes. I can usually take care of my business online, as well.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm

McNutcase wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I am 56 and I have never had to visit the DVLA (our version) in my entire life.

Also... 45K... bitches!

For all the "I'm British, I know how to queue" jokes, it's America that loves its bureaucracy and its little bits of paper.

I think it's less a love of bureaucracy and more an acceptance of incompetence. Any company run like a governmental agency here would be bankrupt with eye watering speed.

Return to “General Discussion”