Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby McNutcase » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:24 am

I have inherited a bunch of dice... including a strangely numbered d6 (2,2,3,3,4,5 instead of 1 through 6; anyone know what it's for?) and also a blank transparent green cube.

The possibilities for player torture with something like that are endless; just hand it to someone with no explanation, and watch their brains spin at maximum RPM... :twisted:
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Stacey
I am the story stick

Postby Stacey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 am

I'm off work today...all the kids are at school...I'm home alone. It's kinda freakin' me out.
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Fred Allen

Xer0
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Xer0 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am

Stacey wrote:I'm off work today...all the kids are at school...I'm home alone. It's kinda freakin' me out.

It's quiet..... too quiet.
Oh look, there's a blog here! Xer0 Rules: No rules by my own.

Stacey
I am the story stick

Postby Stacey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:54 am

Xer0 wrote:
Stacey wrote:I'm off work today...all the kids are at school...I'm home alone. It's kinda freakin' me out.

It's quiet..... too quiet.

Exactly
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Fred Allen

Freemage
Hot Wings Eating Champ

Postby Freemage » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:09 pm

McNutcase wrote:I have inherited a bunch of dice... including a strangely numbered d6 (2,2,3,3,4,5 instead of 1 through 6; anyone know what it's for?) and also a blank transparent green cube.

The possibilities for player torture with something like that are endless; just hand it to someone with no explanation, and watch their brains spin at maximum RPM... :twisted:

Nah... Wait til you're running a session, then include the blank die with any large roll. Always make it clear that you're consulting that die before declaring the final results--occasionally going so far as to look in the books as if you're checking a table or chart.

Watch the players stare at the die with increasing intensity, to try to see whatever it is you're seeing there.
You say "wankery" like it's a bad thing.

ImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Freemage wrote:
McNutcase wrote:I have inherited a bunch of dice... including a strangely numbered d6 (2,2,3,3,4,5 instead of 1 through 6; anyone know what it's for?) and also a blank transparent green cube.

Nah... Wait til you're running a session, then include the blank die with any large roll. Always make it clear that you're consulting that die before declaring the final results--occasionally going so far as to look in the books as if you're checking a table or chart.

Watch the players stare at the die with increasing intensity, to try to see whatever it is you're seeing there.

Only one problem with that... I won't be rolling seven pounds of d6s for some time ;)

David Blue
da ba dee da ba die

Postby David Blue » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:24 pm

McNutcase wrote:a blank transparent green cube.

This is what you roll, in full sight of the players, when "determining GM fiat" on story progression.

Grungydan
TOFtBCH

Postby Grungydan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Great first day of school. :)

And the girl is coming over, and will be cooking for me later. Win.
I should get on here more.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 pm

David Gray wrote:

This is what you roll, in full sight of the players, when "determining GM fiat" on story progression.

On my table, ALL rolls are public.

If the players don't get to cheat, nor do I. I'll fudge story to keep them alive and being awesome, but I won't fudge rolls for that. You rolled it, you took it, for EVERYONE.

David Blue
da ba dee da ba die

Postby David Blue » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:52 pm

McNutcase wrote:
David Gray wrote:

On my table, ALL rolls are public.

If the players don't get to cheat, nor do I. I'll fudge story to keep them alive and being awesome, but I won't fudge rolls for that. You rolled it, you took it, for EVERYONE.

Hmmm... perhaps I was unclear, but I was attempting to "make a funny". I'm fairly certain that it is impossible to fudge a roll from an unlabeled die...

Given the idea that many gamers have that the dice should determine everything, but the tendency to still want a compelling story, I thought that using a die that means nothing to make rolls that would ordinarily not merit rolling, would be humorous. I was in no way implying that you cheat your players, and if I gave that impression I apologize.

Personally I do not think that dice should be used to determine all NPC and world event outcomes, any more than I think players should have to roll to determine their own intentions for the characters (except in the exceptional cases, fear spells and such where character volition is right out the window). Even as a player I would find it funny if the GM rolled a blank die to determine what would happen if I jumped off the top of the building for no apparent reason... "if it comes up green, you fall."

That's what I was attempting to convey, obviously poorly. Sorry about that.

Return to “General Discussion”