Happy Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Chad
Host

Re: Happy Things Go Here

Postby Chad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:17 pm

Grungydan wrote:
Seriously though, congratulation man. It was the Utilikilt wasn't it?

Thanks, and let's just say that we both went out in our skirts the other night, and it was good.

I didn't think that Fayetteville was that progressive. Wearing a kilt in some parts of St. Louis will get you into a fight.

The Boulder
NZB Leftenant

Postby The Boulder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Chad wrote:
Grungydan wrote:
Seriously though, congratulation man. It was the Utilikilt wasn't it?

Thanks, and let's just say that we both went out in our skirts the other night, and it was good.

I didn't think that Fayetteville was that progressive. Wearing a kilt in some parts of St. Louis will get you into a fight.

All those damn Irish.

Grungydan
TOFtBCH

Postby Grungydan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Chad wrote:I didn't think that Fayetteville was that progressive. Wearing a kilt in some parts of St. Louis will get you into a fight.

Yeah, I live here and it's hard enough to believe. I still got a lot of funny looks in Wal-Mart, but out on the town with the nightlife crowd I just get a lot of compliments and genuine questions (how much, etc.).
I should get on here more.

Neosect
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Neosect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm

Ferc Eater wrote:First week of school and I get to write an analysis of a movie.

What movie?
"Where is your god now?"

Neosect

Postby Neosect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Flaming Penguins wrote:
David Gray wrote:
McNutcase wrote:My dragons actually make SENSE. There are logical reasons why they can fly and breathe fire.

Filled with Hydrogen, right?

If so, it would be a bad idea to make them fire-breathing.

Although it would be a hilarious sight to see.

"Easiest CR 23 we've ever fought."
"Where is your god now?"

Neosect

Postby Neosect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 pm

McNutcase wrote:
BA Mcgee wrote:You really could have made up something better seeing as Kevlar is a fabric.

Actually, it's a polymer. It's usually made into threads which are woven into fabric, but other forms are perfectly possible and quite a bit tougher. The scales on my dragons are actually plates of aramid polymer, which are light, stiff and very, very durable.

However, it's a lot simpler to just say "they have Kevlar skin", as that immediately gets people on the right track.

And yes, it's perfectly plausible for an organism to be able to secrete aramids. It just has to be able to get the right nutrients. Overall, my dragons are a LOT more plausible than the monster in Alien, and that movie kicked ass.

Now quit nitpicking, or I'll get one of my dragons to sneeze on you. ;)

Actually, the Kevlar threads act as a method of dispersing force throughout a composite matrix. Kevlar is an aramid, you are correct, but it is a fiber and isn't very useful on it's own. While it has great strength in tension, it shears easily and doesn't do well with compression.

The Kevlar threads actually pull out of a vest that they are sewn into, distributing the force of a bullet rather well. Knives and other stabbing weapons penetrate Kevlar vests rather easily.

Now, you are on the right track. Since dragons seem to be able to eat anything, they could very well simply produce an allotrope of a certain substance (graphite and diamond are allotropes of carbon, same formula but different orientation) that gives them their hardness and toughness.

Or just say Kevlar in adamantine matrix. Then the PCs are pretty much screwed.
"Where is your god now?"

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Neosect wrote:Actually, the Kevlar threads act as a method of dispersing force throughout a composite matrix. Kevlar is an aramid, you are correct, but it is a fiber and isn't very useful on it's own. While it has great strength in tension, it shears easily and doesn't do well with compression.

The Kevlar threads actually pull out of a vest that they are sewn into, distributing the force of a bullet rather well. Knives and other stabbing weapons penetrate Kevlar vests rather easily.

Now, you are on the right track. Since dragons seem to be able to eat anything, they could very well simply produce an allotrope of a certain substance (graphite and diamond are allotropes of carbon, same formula but different orientation) that gives them their hardness and toughness.

Meh. "Kevlar" gets them thinking light plus tough, and if they can get some dragonhide to make armour out of I'll stat it using the template for a Kevlar vest. If they nitpick, I have a fairish chunk of a chemistry degree; I can BS them plenty.

All they need to know about dragons is not to get too close to them, and to kill them as gently as possible if they want to salvage any usable bits (like the nostrils; those piezoelectric igniters make for excellent tinderboxes, since they make a big fat spark in any weather)
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Neosect

Postby Neosect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

McNutcase wrote:
Neosect wrote:Actually, the Kevlar threads act as a method of dispersing force throughout a composite matrix. Kevlar is an aramid, you are correct, but it is a fiber and isn't very useful on it's own. While it has great strength in tension, it shears easily and doesn't do well with compression.

Meh. "Kevlar" gets them thinking light plus tough, and if they can get some dragonhide to make armour out of I'll stat it using the template for a Kevlar vest. If they nitpick, I have a fairish chunk of a chemistry degree; I can BS them plenty.

All they need to know about dragons is not to get too close to them, and to kill them as gently as possible if they want to salvage any usable bits (like the nostrils; those piezoelectric igniters make for excellent tinderboxes, since they make a big fat spark in any weather)

Light and tough is perfect for Kevlar. I didn't know you were serious about said dragon. This makes fighting them a whole new challenge. And good idea on the nostrils.

My thoughts ran to a STP vapor alkane hydrocarbon as it's insides at first for efficiency but the hydrogen is light, flammable and if I remember right has some serious kJ output when burned.

I'm a metallurgist and got most of a ChemE degree as well. It's good to have a technical talk with someone regarding fictional reptiles once in a while. :D
"Where is your god now?"

Graytigeress
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Graytigeress » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Grungydan wrote:
Chad wrote:I didn't think that Fayetteville was that progressive. Wearing a kilt in some parts of St. Louis will get you into a fight.

Yeah, I live here and it's hard enough to believe. I still got a lot of funny looks in Wal-Mart, but out on the town with the nightlife crowd I just get a lot of compliments and genuine questions (how much, etc.).

How do you ride your motorcycle in the kilt?
In me the tiger sniffs the rose and watches butterflies!

mingus
Teller of gaming stories

Postby mingus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Galaxyzoo is awesome.

Return to “General Discussion”