Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby JediSoth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 pm

My afternoon snack of a Sumo Mandarin was moldy inside.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm

clintmemo wrote:
N00b13 wrote:So a guy at work was sneaking up via the warehouse to take break off camera. He was sitting at a spare table we use for parties. So the boss took away the table. Then he sat at the table for storing clothes and bags. Took that away too. Now he's having off camera breaks using a trashcan as a table.

So was he just taking an authorized break away from everyone else or was he taking unauthorized breaks?

He will wait for a supervisor to be busy. Run pasted and say "I'm on break" take the stairs to the break room via the warehouse and sit where the camera can't see him. Then when he's done with his food reverse the process.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm

N00b13 wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
N00b13 wrote:So a guy at work was sneaking up via the warehouse to take break off camera. He was sitting at a spare table we use for parties. So the boss took away the table. Then he sat at the table for storing clothes and bags. Took that away too. Now he's having off camera breaks using a trashcan as a table.

So was he just taking an authorized break away from everyone else or was he taking unauthorized breaks?

He will wait for a supervisor to be busy. Run pasted and say "I'm on break" take the stairs to the break room via the warehouse and sit where the camera can't see him. Then when he's done with his food reverse the process.

Sorry, I'm failing to understand the issue here. Is it that he's taking extra breaks he isn't supposed to have, or that he is taking his breaks in places he isn't supposed to go? The way you describe it sounds like there is a rule that everyone has to be on camera the whole time.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
N00b13 wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Sorry, I'm failing to understand the issue here. Is it that he's taking extra breaks he isn't supposed to have, or that he is taking his breaks in places he isn't supposed to go? The way you describe it sounds like there is a rule that everyone has to be on camera the whole time.

There is no rule you must be on camera. There are rules for break duration. He has put in efforts to have no record of how long his breaks are. I'm not one to cry time theft but my boss is frustrated with him taking double or triple length breaks without records.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:55 pm

I blame the tables. Obviously, the trashcan is a menace to society and has to go. The company should impose a ban on all elevated horizontal surfaces to deal with this growing crisis. /sarcasm

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:48 pm

So I was just assaulted.

I called the cops to report a fight. 2 of the individuals ran off but the other 2 followed me and one shoved me while the other punched me grabbed my hair and yanked off my Bluetooth headset from behind. I'm fine. Got a bit of a headache. They got my property back and arrested the guy who did it. But yeah getting assaulted for calling the cops is up there for grumpy days.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 pm

N00b13 wrote:So I was just assaulted.

I called the cops to report a fight. 2 of the individuals ran off but the other 2 followed me and one shoved me while the other punched me grabbed my hair and yanked off my Bluetooth headset from behind. I'm fine. Got a bit of a headache. They got my property back and arrested the guy who did it. But yeah getting assaulted for calling the cops is up there for grumpy days.

Ouch. Part of me hopes the jerk responsible had to be tased when the arrest was made. The other part would prefer pepper spray.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Starting to sound like my GF and her dad are going to have to sell their house. He got it in the divorce but had to pay her mom half of the equity and that didn't happen. It sucks because she loves that house and it's been in the family for a few generations. There's no way she could afford a place like that otherwise, and it's on a very nice lake which she spends pretty much all summer in.

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure there were options that while not ideal could have at least saved the house. They didn't ask my advice or help, which is good because it could have put me in an awkward situation, but I feel like they missed out on several options that may have helped.

Her dad was always able to solve any problems her and her sister ran into as kids, so she developed the attitude that things would always work out. Unfortunately, it looks like she's about to learn a hard lesson.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:18 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Starting to sound like my GF and her dad are going to have to sell their house. He got it in the divorce but had to pay her mom half of the equity and that didn't happen. It sucks because she loves that house and it's been in the family for a few generations. There's no way she could afford a place like that otherwise, and it's on a very nice lake which she spends pretty much all summer in.

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure there were options that while not ideal could have at least saved the house. They didn't ask my advice or help, which is good because it could have put me in an awkward situation, but I feel like they missed out on several options that may have helped.

Her dad was always able to solve any problems her and her sister ran into as kids, so she developed the attitude that things would always work out. Unfortunately, it looks like she's about to learn a hard lesson.

My parents went through almost the exact same thing a couple years ago. Main difference is my dad could have afforded to keep the house, but it wouldn't have been worth it and also there was a lot of emotional baggage tied up in that place.

It was a similarly unique and sentimental place, 7000 sqr foot house on 6 acres on top of a hill in the middle of Skagit Valley. He and my uncles built almost the entire thing, including a ton of absolutely gorgeous woodwork using old growth Alaskan yellow cedar that you just can't get anymore.

There are 20 foot long 12x12 beams in that house that are absolutely flawless, not a knot or crack in them, and with grains that are almost totally straight in the crosscut (meaning those beams got cut from a round that was probably close to 20 feet in diameter).

It was a sobering day hauling all of our stuff out of there. At least we managed to sell it to a close friend of the family so we can at least still go and visit.
Have you found the yellow sign?

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:02 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:Starting to sound like my GF and her dad are going to have to sell their house. He got it in the divorce but had to pay her mom half of the equity and that didn't happen. It sucks because she loves that house and it's been in the family for a few generations. There's no way she could afford a place like that otherwise, and it's on a very nice lake which she spends pretty much all summer in.

My parents went through almost the exact same thing a couple years ago. Main difference is my dad could have afforded to keep the house, but it wouldn't have been worth it and also there was a lot of emotional baggage tied up in that place.

It was a similarly unique and sentimental place, 7000 sqr foot house on 6 acres on top of a hill in the middle of Skagit Valley. He and my uncles built almost the entire thing, including a ton of absolutely gorgeous woodwork using old growth Alaskan yellow cedar that you just can't get anymore.

There are 20 foot long 12x12 beams in that house that are absolutely flawless, not a knot or crack in them, and with grains that are almost totally straight in the crosscut (meaning those beams got cut from a round that was probably close to 20 feet in diameter).

It was a sobering day hauling all of our stuff out of there. At least we managed to sell it to a close friend of the family so we can at least still go and visit.

That's good, I'm pretty sure they won't be so lucky. They have a very desirable lot and decided to build up rather than out. The current trend for that lake is for people to buy the house, tear it down, and build a new one that takes up nearly the entire lot. So to a lot of potential buyers, the yard leading up to the lake is "wasted space" that they could build more house on.

Return to “General Discussion”