Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby clintmemo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 pm

tombombodil wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I was just informed that I'm inheriting ownership of an internal application. The grumbly is that this site is very poorly maintained and has pending feature asks that require API Permissions that themselves require Security Compliance that the site absolutely does not meet. So I get to spend probably the better part of next month creating security documentation and regular documentation and adding modern authentication to every access point of the site.

weeeeeeeee

Sounds like an excuse to build a new application from scratch.

I tried really really hard to pitch that, but the application is in use and a rebuilding it would delay access to the features for long enough that they're willing to live with the tech debt. Mostly because I'M the one that actually has to live with it. I'm going to push back again and say that fine I'll do the SDL compliance and complete the pending asks, but ONLY under the agreement that after that I can lock the application down from any future development. I'm not taking any new asks for it, and once I'm done it just gets to simmer until people finally need new stuff for it enough that they'll let me do a rebuild.

If you have a broom and replace the handle and then replace the bristles, is it still the same broom?
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I was just informed that I'm inheriting ownership of an internal application. The grumbly is that this site is very poorly maintained and has pending feature asks that require API Permissions that themselves require Security Compliance that the site absolutely does not meet. So I get to spend probably the better part of next month creating security documentation and regular documentation and adding modern authentication to every access point of the site.

weeeeeeeee

Sounds like an excuse to build a new application from scratch.

I tried really really hard to pitch that, but the application is in use and a rebuilding it would delay access to the features for long enough that they're willing to live with the tech debt. Mostly because I'M the one that actually has to live with it. I'm going to push back again and say that fine I'll do the SDL compliance and complete the pending asks, but ONLY under the agreement that after that I can lock the application down from any future development. I'm not taking any new asks for it, and once I'm done it just gets to simmer until people finally need new stuff for it enough that they'll let me do a rebuild.

If you have a broom and replace the handle and then replace the bristles, is it still the same broom?

Ship of Theseus coding. According to the GNU team no.

My grumpy Class is an hour and 15 minutes and I've watched the professor for 10 writing an email. Money well spent.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:55 pm

N00b13 wrote:My grumpy Class is an hour and 15 minutes and I've watched the professor for 10 writing an email. Money well spent.

Sometimes the lessons you learn in college are not the ones they intended.
Sometimes those lessons are more valuable.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Yesterday, at the construction site next door, someone tipped over an excavator - and I missed it.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 pm

So a supervisor at work got sick back in November. She was in pretty poor health older over weight and smoke. She needing to catch her breath after climbing a flight of stairs. Well her infection progressed to pneumonia. What we didn't know at the time was the pneumonia chest x-ray also showed tumors. So she went on medical leave. She passed away a few days ago. Like I said no one knew she had cancer till her daughter came in today to collect her things.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 am

Having trouble ironing out my Depression/Anxiety drugs to minimize side effects. Went through a couple of weeks from the bad old days of living in a near panic over every little thing.

I think that is why I have stopped DMing. I just would be so paniced before / during / after the game that is was to stressful no mater how much I loved doing it.
Last edited by Too Tall on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 am

N00b13 wrote:So a supervisor at work got sick back in November. She was in pretty poor health older over weight and smoke. She needing to catch her breath after climbing a flight of stairs. Well her infection progressed to pneumonia. What we didn't know at the time was the pneumonia chest x-ray also showed tumors. So she went on medical leave. She passed away a few days ago. Like I said no one knew she had cancer till her daughter came in today to collect her things.

Rough stuff!

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Had two wisdom teeth yanked out this morning, which means no workouts for a week, and no spicy or crunchy food. That's like 90% of what I like.

And I really hate the taste of lidocaine.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 pm

McNutcase wrote:Had two wisdom teeth yanked out this morning, which means no workouts for a week, and no spicy or crunchy food. That's like 90% of what I like.

So sorry to hear that! I had to be completely under anesthesia for mine and the recovery was freaking terrible.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:48 pm

mindtakerr wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Had two wisdom teeth yanked out this morning, which means no workouts for a week, and no spicy or crunchy food. That's like 90% of what I like.

So sorry to hear that! I had to be completely under anesthesia for mine and the recovery was freaking terrible.

At least they had never been a problem. They came in perfectly straight, so when he said (after a dozen years of saying it would happen) it was time for them to come out, I was able to just drive myself in, and it took more time waiting for the numbing shots to take effect than it took to pull them out. Haven't had any need for painkillers, either, which is a good thing because he refused to prescribe me any. Too much stigma from the OMG opioids panic, and never mind the fact that I've been in pain so long that no OTC pain relief works for me any more. Not his fault, but still annoying as hell.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “General Discussion”