Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby BottledViolence » Thu May 06, 2021 4:10 pm

John wrote:Apparently lumber is so scarce in the US right now that it's cheaper to just chop up IKEA furniture than it is buy plywood. This is driving home prices up tens of thousands of dollars.

Looks like another apartment year for this dude.

Yeah, it's bad. I have 6 weeks off and just can't justify triple priced lumber for the projects (steel and wood furniture) I had planned. I'm running down to the steel vendor to pick up all the steel for them and just going to wait to do the wood portions.

As for home prices, it's doubly frustrating here in metro Detroit where people are protesting a lack of affordable housing, new construction and existing homes in the burbs are seeing astronomical price increases, but in the city, almost 1/3 of available housing stock is vacant with a large portion owned by the city. While it is complicated navigating the purchase of a home from the city, almost no one who would benefit from it wants to buy one.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm

BottledViolence wrote:existing homes in the burbs are seeing astronomical price increases, but in the city, almost 1/3 of available housing stock is vacant with a large portion owned by the city.

The fact that this problem is so rampant across the country is mindboggling to me. I'm no econ major but I just don't get how this could be to anyone's benefit, including the realistate owners.
Have you found the yellow sign?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 06, 2021 6:42 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:existing homes in the burbs are seeing astronomical price increases, but in the city, almost 1/3 of available housing stock is vacant with a large portion owned by the city.

The fact that this problem is so rampant across the country is mindboggling to me. I'm no econ major but I just don't get how this could be to anyone's benefit, including the realistate owners.

The city owns houses in places no one wants to live (I'm guessing).
Builders only build big expensive houses because they are more profitable.
Home buyers would rather saddle themselves with 40 year mortgages they can barely afford than buy a house they can easily afford in a place they don't want to live.

New modest houses are like small trucks. Lots of people want to buy them but no one wants to sell them (yes, I know about the upcoming Maverick).
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

The city owns houses in places no one wants to live (I'm guessing).
Builders only build big expensive houses because they are more profitable.
Home buyers would rather saddle themselves with 40 year mortgages they can barely afford than buy a house they can easily afford in a place they don't want to live.

New modest houses are like small trucks. Lots of people want to buy them but no one wants to sell them (yes, I know about the upcoming Maverick).

Pretty much.

We also have the problem of maintenance. Around here many people would rather have subsidized rent rather than home ownership. They don't want to fix anything themselves, or call a professional, they want someone else to handle it. Hell, the city tries it's hardest to drive the professionals out and crack down on unlicensed handymen making it even more expensive to maintain a home.

It's hard to justify building new small houses since there are so many available. The places people want them built are the nicer areas so just buying the land makes them unaffordable. So instead of buying where they can afford to live they get an apartment they can barely afford instead.

As for the small truck, we'll see how that goes. I think a lot of the folks who "want to buy a small truck" actually want a big truck but don't want to pay very much. Plus the usual pitfalls of building a truck that may miss the mark because they optimized it for the wrong demographic... 4dr vs 2, etc.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 am

Colonoscopy prep SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Last time I felt this bad, I ended up in a psych ward.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Mon May 10, 2021 9:46 pm

McNutcase wrote:Colonoscopy prep SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Last time I felt this bad, I ended up in a psych ward.

Not looking forward to that experience. :sick:

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Colonoscopy prep SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Last time I felt this bad, I ended up in a psych ward.

the prep seems infinitely worse than the procedure itself.

I wonder if CT scans will ever get precise enough that we don't need to use a scope at all.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 pm

BottledViolence wrote:

Colonoscopy doesn't even rate in my top 5 terrible medical experiences.
Now I'm not sure if that is good or bad....

The prep really does suck though.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Tue May 11, 2021 3:48 pm

You guys are making it sound like colonoscopy is a pretty regular occurrence over there. :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Tue May 11, 2021 5:19 pm

Lord Foul wrote:You guys are making it sound like colonoscopy is a pretty regular occurrence over there. :eh:

Something like every ten years starting at 50.

Return to “General Discussion”