Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 pm

I know... I know... I need to make an appointment with my doctor. I'm almost 51 and haven't experienced this right of 'passage' yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue May 11, 2021 5:50 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Colonoscopy prep SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Last time I felt this bad, I ended up in a psych ward.

Not looking forward to that experience. :sick:

the prep seems infinitely worse than the procedure itself.

I wonder if CT scans will ever get precise enough that we don't need to use a scope at all.

Definitely the prep is far worse. The procedure itself, they had me strip, started an IV, and I was so bloody exhausted I was falling asleep once they'd rolled me in, before they actually started the drugs. The prep was an all-nighter of forcing down huge quantities of disgusting liquid, followed by painful toilet sessions and/or projectile vomiting.

CT is garbage. No use for diagnostics, it completely missed that a friend's gall bladder was not only full of stones but so infected it was starting to disintegrate. MRI is much more useful for soft tissue imaging, but ultimately there isn't a good substitute for sticking a camera in and looking. But I am going to be oversharing with my gastroenterologist on the followup, because I'm not sure I can put myself through that knowing what it's like.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri May 14, 2021 10:03 am

McNutcase wrote:the prep seems infinitely worse than the procedure itself.
... and/or projectile vomiting.

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be a thing. Next time, tell them and they may give you different liquid. I know there are at least 2 different liquids to drink.

McNutcase wrote:CT is garbage. No use for diagnostics, it completely missed that a friend's gall bladder was not only full of stones but so infected it was starting to disintegrate. MRI is much more useful for soft tissue imaging, but ultimately there isn't a good substitute for sticking a camera in and looking. But I am going to be oversharing with my gastroenterologist on the followup, because I'm not sure I can put myself through that knowing what it's like.

I think CT and MRI get co-mangled as terms.
People usually mean "that thing that is cooler than just x-rays."
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Fri May 14, 2021 5:17 pm

clintmemo wrote:
McNutcase wrote:the prep seems infinitely worse than the procedure itself.
... and/or projectile vomiting.

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be a thing. Next time, tell them and they may give you different liquid. I know there are at least 2 different liquids to drink.

McNutcase wrote:CT is garbage. No use for diagnostics, it completely missed that a friend's gall bladder was not only full of stones but so infected it was starting to disintegrate. MRI is much more useful for soft tissue imaging, but ultimately there isn't a good substitute for sticking a camera in and looking. But I am going to be oversharing with my gastroenterologist on the followup, because I'm not sure I can put myself through that knowing what it's like.

I think CT and MRI get co-mangled as terms.
People usually mean "that thing that is cooler than just x-rays."

Yeah, I have the followup appointment on Monday and I'm gonna be politely but firmly insisting that my extremely poor reaction to the prep I got given be noted in my chart so I've got evidence if the insurance wants to kick up a fuss about my insistence next time that I not get that particular stuff.

McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Whee. The medical hits just keep on coming. My ass may be cancer-free, but who has two thumbs and diabetes? This schmuck!

They're fine waiting a couple weeks for me to see them about it, so it's not the drop-dead-if-you-mess-up kind, but argh. Apparently I hit 40 and all the systems just blew their gaskets.

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Whoa! Sorry to hear that, Silas. You seem to get all the breaks. :(
"...with frikin' lasers!"

McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Whoa! Sorry to hear that, Silas. You seem to get all the breaks. :(

It is, at least, a diagnosis I can live with, and one I can use to belabour the doctors until they give me proper knee supports and actual painkillers.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:44 pm

McNutcase wrote:Whee. The medical hits just keep on coming. My ass may be cancer-free, but who has two thumbs and diabetes? This schmuck!

They're fine waiting a couple weeks for me to see them about it, so it's not the drop-dead-if-you-mess-up kind, but argh. Apparently I hit 40 and all the systems just blew their gaskets.

That sucks. It runs in my family and it looks like I may be closing in on it too. Along with high BP and cholesterol. Not great, but not terrible for my late 40's in spite of all my clean living. :lol: :beer:

McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:46 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Whee. The medical hits just keep on coming. My ass may be cancer-free, but who has two thumbs and diabetes? This schmuck!

That sucks. It runs in my family and it looks like I may be closing in on it too. Along with high BP and cholesterol. Not great, but not terrible for my late 40's in spite of all my clean living. :lol: :beer:

I had the BP and cholesterol going already, my body just decided I needed the trifecta. Guess I'm developing new habits, because I'm damned if I let this kill me.

Return to “General Discussion”