Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Sorry to hear that. My family had a Great Dane when I was around 8-10 years old. Lovely dogs; really gentle temperament and great with kids. Ours used to wait for me to come home from school and wag his tail so hard he smashed up the tip on the hallway walls. Looked like a scene from a slasher movie. In the end it got so bad we gave him away to a local pet shop, where he spent the rest of his life lying around in the shop being fussed over by all the customers. Not a bad life!

Sounds like a typical Dane! :lol:

When I took mine to the dog park she would usually just go sit on the bench with the people. A new woman came up and asked about her just sitting there with the people watching the other dogs play. Another woman who was a regular said "Oh, that's just Demon, she isn't much of a dog person." :lol:

I named her after the car, not her temperament.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Sorry to hear that. My family had a Great Dane when I was around 8-10 years old. Lovely dogs; really gentle temperament and great with kids. Ours used to wait for me to come home from school and wag his tail so hard he smashed up the tip on the hallway walls. Looked like a scene from a slasher movie. In the end it got so bad we gave him away to a local pet shop, where he spent the rest of his life lying around in the shop being fussed over by all the customers. Not a bad life!

Sounds like a typical Dane! :lol:

When I took mine to the dog park she would usually just go sit on the bench with the people. A new woman came up and asked about her just sitting there with the people watching the other dogs play. Another woman who was a regular said "Oh, that's just Demon, she isn't much of a dog person." :lol:

I named her after the car, not her temperament.

My dog is like that too. Completely ambivalent to other dogs, but an absolute addict to fetch and keep away and training games with people.
Have you found the yellow sign?

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:18 pm

tombombodil wrote:My dog is like that too. Completely ambivalent to other dogs, but an absolute addict to fetch and keep away and training games with people.

My dog only wanted to play fight and wrestle. She would bark at me when she wanted attention, but cry when she wanted to fight. :problem:

Of course she would reach over the fence to pet the dogs on the other side. :lol:

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:00 pm

My mom passed away this week. It was long expected; she'd been very weak and had dementia, and mostly prayed and daydreamed these last months.
It occurs to me, thinking of earliest memories, that she drew my first imaginary animals. She oilpainted, and waiting up for Dad on late shifts she'd just doodle incredible feathery serpenty beasts. There was one that we all dearly loved. It was basically a furball with a long beak with tiny teeth, and beady yellow eyes and matted dark green fur, and we all knew that it was mischievous and probably malevolent -- but not big enough to do anything. We figured it was about a foot in diameter.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am

Sorry to hear that. Even if you expect it, I cannot imagine losing a parent will ever be anything but a punch in the stomach.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Leoff wrote:My mom passed away this week. It was long expected; she'd been very weak and had dementia, and mostly prayed and daydreamed these last months.
It occurs to me, thinking of earliest memories, that she drew my first imaginary animals. She oilpainted, and waiting up for Dad on late shifts she'd just doodle incredible feathery serpenty beasts. There was one that we all dearly loved. It was basically a furball with a long beak with tiny teeth, and beady yellow eyes and matted dark green fur, and we all knew that it was mischievous and probably malevolent -- but not big enough to do anything. We figured it was about a foot in diameter.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad you have such great memories of her.

My dad died when I was 3 and the worst part is that I have so few memories of him. I did ancestry.com DNA testing and I am finding a lot of family members I never knew about. It helps a lot!

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:15 pm

My car just died, right before Christmas. :problem:

It served me well for near 10 years. But now it has a catalogue of engine management and transmission faults, and I've been advised it could cost a lot to get the gearbox sorted, just so they can work out how much the rest will cost to fix. Considering the car isn't worth more than a couple of thousand now in working order, I've decided to cut my losses and say goodbye to the old A8. :cry:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 pm

I fully subscribe to the idea that an international task force putting some bullets into a few select heads and broadcasting it will help with the scammer problem.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Lord Foul wrote:My car just died, right before Christmas. :problem:

It served me well for near 10 years. But now it has a catalogue of engine management and transmission faults, and I've been advised it could cost a lot to get the gearbox sorted, just so they can work out how much the rest will cost to fix. Considering the car isn't worth more than a couple of thousand now in working order, I've decided to cut my losses and say goodbye to the old A8. :cry:

That's the thing with luxury cars. When they go, they GO.

Hopefully you'll find another suitable steed without too much hassle.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 pm

McNutcase wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:My car just died, right before Christmas. :problem:

That's the thing with luxury cars. When they go, they GO.

Hopefully you'll find another suitable steed without too much hassle.

A very similar thing happened to my brother's Lexus a few years ago at Christmas. You are right about luxury cars; they don't fall apart in bits and pieces, they commit hari kari all at once.

Return to “General Discussion”