Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby BottledViolence » Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 am

K-Mech wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:My girlfriend managed to hit a pole driving through a parking lot the other night. Dented the hood, broke the grill, and cracked the bumper cover. All parts I could replace in a few hours, but would need to pay someone to paint them if I couldn't get the right color from a junk yard.

Oh, except the airbags went off. Five of them. Instead of a few hours and a few hundred bucks, it's almost $13,000, three weeks at the shop, and she had bruises all over from the fucking air bags.

Best part is she probably only hit it because we make the A-piller so fucking huge now because we have to stuff more airbags in there. :roll:

I've lost count of how many people I've talked to who hit something (or someone) partially hidden behind the huge blind spot we put in one of the most critical areas of a driver's vision.

IU thought the a-pillar hugeness was because of rollover test requirements... but yes, I hate how thick those've gotten.

It can be both. She has a small crossover, and with the airbags deployed you can really see how much smaller the A-piller could be. I'm sure in a larger vehicle, especially a truck the added strength for the rollover requirement is more of an issue.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Appendicitis :thumbdown:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm

tombombodil wrote:Appendicitis :thumbdown:

Ick! Not the time for self-isolation and DIY remedies.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Appendicitis :thumbdown:

Ick! Not the time for self-isolation and DIY remedies.

Yeah, had to spend 2 nights in the hospital. They don't want to operate because of some complication so after I stabilized they sent me home with a two week course of antibiotics. I did some research and with this type of appendicitis they basically want to put off operating for as long as possible to reduce the risk as much as they can, 6-8 weeks minimum assuming it doesn't start to leak or rupture.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:01 pm

I just got out of a ZOOM call I thought going in was a interview, but leaving I realized was a sails seminar.

The presenter went over how much money you'll make working for them and how amazing a company they were. How you can work from home and make thousands selling for them. It was getting kinda MLM at this point but then the bombshell. You have to buy their one week course (at a 50% discount how generous) to be considered for employment.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm

N00b13 wrote:I just got out of a ZOOM call I thought going in was a interview, but leaving I realized was a sails seminar.

The presenter went over how much money you'll make working for them and how amazing a company they were. How you can work from home and make thousands selling for them. It was getting kinda MLM at this point but then the bombshell. You have to buy their one week course (at a 50% discount how generous) to be considered for employment.

Ugh! I hate, hate, hate that kind of dickery...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:12 pm

So today I installed some security software into the build pipeline for an application i run, and it found a vulnerability in some auto-generated code.

The message was along the lines of "violation found on fileman.etc : line 4".

So I looked and the file was a min.js file which is a plain-text version of a JavaScript file with NO formatting at all including newlines. So the file was 3 short comment lines and then the 4th line had all 400000+ characters of that javascript library on it. And somewhere within that completely format-less 400000 character line was the source of the error.

theGECK
'something' per Dan's request

Postby theGECK » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:47 am

I work at a hospital repairing physical things that are broken, primarily copiers. Everybody at the hospital has to be furloughed for at least 6-8 weeks to save on costs since there haven't been any elective procedures for months now due to COVID-19. My department, since things still break, are furloughing 1/3 at a time. I just got back from my first month of furlough to a department that is short by 33%, another 10% decided that now was the right time to retire (meaning that they're using their accumulated time off for 1-2 months before we can even ask HR if we can refill their jobs during the hiring freeze we're under), and procedures are picking back up again so we're getting around the same number of calls that we did before.

I used to say that repairing 4 machines in a day was a good, full day that wasn't very busy but wasn't empty either.

For the last week I've done 4 tickets before noon every day. And I have at least 3-4 more months that this level of work is going to be happening.

And they wonder why burnout is always a concern on our yearly departmental employee surveys.
This space intentionally left filled.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:00 am

theGECK wrote:I work at a hospital repairing physical things that are broken, primarily copiers. Everybody at the hospital has to be furloughed for at least 6-8 weeks to save on costs since there haven't been any elective procedures for months now due to COVID-19. My department, since things still break, are furloughing 1/3 at a time. I just got back from my first month of furlough to a department that is short by 33%, another 10% decided that now was the right time to retire (meaning that they're using their accumulated time off for 1-2 months before we can even ask HR if we can refill their jobs during the hiring freeze we're under), and procedures are picking back up again so we're getting around the same number of calls that we did before.

I used to say that repairing 4 machines in a day was a good, full day that wasn't very busy but wasn't empty either.

For the last week I've done 4 tickets before noon every day. And I have at least 3-4 more months that this level of work is going to be happening.

And they wonder why burnout is always a concern on our yearly departmental employee surveys.

The bean counters will see these numbers and call it efficiency, they won't hire in more people to help.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 am

Chad wrote:
theGECK wrote:I work at a hospital repairing physical things that are broken, primarily copiers. Everybody at the hospital has to be furloughed for at least 6-8 weeks to save on costs since there haven't been any elective procedures for months now due to COVID-19. My department, since things still break, are furloughing 1/3 at a time. I just got back from my first month of furlough to a department that is short by 33%, another 10% decided that now was the right time to retire (meaning that they're using their accumulated time off for 1-2 months before we can even ask HR if we can refill their jobs during the hiring freeze we're under), and procedures are picking back up again so we're getting around the same number of calls that we did before.

The bean counters will see these numbers and call it efficiency, they won't hire in more people to help.

Exactly my thoughts. My father goes back to work Friday along with 1/3 of the staff at the store. When they make it work more than likely their budget will be permanently slashed. "you ran the store with 30 people who killed themselves, why did you need 100?"
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Return to “General Discussion”