Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:57 am

tombombodil wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:I've been dealing with back issues for the past few months. Recently, I've been regaining the ability to sit for extended periods without pain, though I do have to be careful getting back up. Sometimes that causes a spasm.

Today, while crossing a highway, I discovered that I have lost the ability to run. While that's concerning in and of itself, the grumbly is that the number of places to which I can safely travel as a pedestrian just diminished drastically.

Dang, I'm sorry, man. I hope your back improves soon.

Back problems are life-altering. My brother has had bad scoliosis his entire life. It took a long long time for him to get himself to a place where he could manage the pain well enough to even go about his regular daily life.

Turns out your back is an important part of almost all movement.

I also hope your difficulties are transient and that you recover sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping it takes less time to completely clear up than the last time I had back issues. A few years ago, I was having sciatica problems on the lower right side. It took two years for the symptoms to start fading. This time, it's on the lower left side. While less severe, the exact symptoms keep changing on me. First it was pain while sitting, then it was spasms when standing up. Now that the first symptom has generally become a non-issue and the second happens less often, there's the new running problem. Confusion is the name of the game this time round, it seems. As icing on the confusion cake, the stretch that I used to manage pain on my right side a few years ago only CAUSES pain now on my left side.

At this point, I'm thinking maybe the real issue is that I need to take strain off my spine by losing a LOT of weight. Maybe that would solve the problem for good.

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:12 pm

weight loss and strength training for your core/trunk (in a safe and controlled manner that doesn't make things worse, of course) are both good for back pain

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Springs and detents. :mad:
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Bai Shen wrote:Springs and detents. :mad:

Broken? Missing? Just annoying in general?

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:40 pm

FLGS was opened by a husband and wife. Unfortunately he committed suicide leaving her to make it work. Then construction issues and problems with staff schedule lead to reduced hours. Unfortunately a business can't be profitable open for 5 days a week 8 hours a day. Long story short they closed. I feel for her. In the past year she lost her buisness her husband and her dream. RIP Lucky Goblin.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:03 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
Bai Shen wrote:Springs and detents. :mad:

Broken? Missing? Just annoying in general?

Not missing. I know exactly what room they are in. Where in said room, however...

Managed to lose one detent and launch a second along with the spring across the room.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:43 pm

I just wasted an hour and a half trying to find a copy of Carcassonne in my home town so my bro and his wife and I would have something fun and simple to play tonight.

2 game stores and 3 department stores and nothing.

I'm reminded why I've done 99% of my shopping online for the past 10 years, and why I will be going back to that for the rest of my life.
Have you found the yellow sign?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:58 am

tombombodil wrote:I just wasted an hour and a half trying to find a copy of Carcassonne in my home town so my bro and his wife and I would have something fun and simple to play tonight.

I'm reminded why I've done 99% of my shopping online for the past 10 years, and why I will be going back to that for the rest of my life.

Retail shopping is for when you want something, but you aren't sure what.
Online shopping is for when you know exactly what you want.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I just wasted an hour and a half trying to find a copy of Carcassonne in my home town so my bro and his wife and I would have something fun and simple to play tonight.

Or as my dad would say, it's the difference between the shopping and buying. I never shop for things, I just buy them.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 am

tombombodil wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Or as my dad would say, it's the difference between the shopping and buying. I never shop for things, I just buy them.

Hunters vs Wandering Gatherers.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “General Discussion”