Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
GinDragon wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
N00b13 wrote:A toilet made of 4 million dollars of gold named "America" was stolen. That's not the grumpy. The grumpy is a toilet made of 4 million dollars of gold named America exsited.

"A Toilet Made From 4 Million Dollars of Gold Named America" sounds like dark satire fiction novel from the 80s

I was about to make a further joke about this and then decided it was too mean and in bad taste, so I changed my mind.

If you keep that up, you'll be asked to hand back your FTB membership card. :naughty:

America, the most expensive toilet in the World! :D

It never gets old.

I guess I'm old now, but I'm more irritated about the fact that someone spent $4 million dollars on a toilet, regardless of what they called it.
If you spent $4,000,000 on a toilet, it better be because it had to be on a space station or something.

Some people have such ludicrous amounts of money that they have literally no conception of its worth. I'm not saying that applies to all mega-rich people; some have earned it through hard work and appreciate its value. But for some it's just about showing the world, and more importantly other rich people, that you have enough to be able to spend $4m on a gold toilet. Because people like that are basically pretty shallow and need to feel good about themselves however they can. I mean, just imagine how shit it would be if all the people you ever associated with were rich assholes!
"...with frikin' lasers!"

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Some people have such ludicrous amounts of money that they have literally no conception of its worth. I'm not saying that applies to all mega-rich people; some have earned it through hard work and appreciate its value. But for some it's just about showing the world, and more importantly other rich people, that you have enough to be able to spend $4m on a gold toilet. Because people like that are basically pretty shallow and need to feel good about themselves however they can. I mean, just imagine how shit it would be if all the people you ever associated with were rich assholes!

Oh, I get it. I remember when the whole "million dollar app" idiocy happened.

...adding any of my further thoughts would bring down the wrath of Mr. Rodgers.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:53 pm

It was originally installed in the Guggenheim and was part of a functional lavatory. It was later moved to Blenheim Palace where it was stolen. I think we can all agree that in this case art is shit.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Nice.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 am

I feel insulted as an American and I'm disgusted by the colossal waste of money. I don't condone the crime, but I hardly feel sorry for the victims.

I can't help but wonder how the toilet was stolen. I'm picturing the Pay Day Gang stealing a Dwarf Fortress artifact.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 am

I don't get the outrage. It's a work of art, "enjoyed" by tens of thousands of people, not just a shitter some rich guy bought to show off. The gold is still gold. If anything, I think the fact they cast it into a toilet is better than just having it sit around in bar form. :lol:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:01 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I don't get the outrage. It's a work of art, "enjoyed" by tens of thousands of people, not just a shitter some rich guy bought to show off. The gold is still gold. If anything, I think the fact they cast it into a toilet is better than just having it sit around in bar form. :lol:

huh....
I assumed someone was actually using it.

It never occurred to me that it might be sitting in a gallery somewhere.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I don't get the outrage. It's a work of art, "enjoyed" by tens of thousands of people, not just a shitter some rich guy bought to show off. The gold is still gold. If anything, I think the fact they cast it into a toilet is better than just having it sit around in bar form. :lol:

Outrage is the wrong word. Keeping things in perspective, this isn't worth outrage.

I'm not calling for the head of whomever built this golden toilet. If some rich jerk wants to waste money on a stupid statement about the U.S., he has every right to do so. I don't approve this action in the slightest, but my disapproval does not merit a punitive response.

Terrorist attacks are outrageous. This is just annoying.

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby [red] » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Wihzerd wrote:If some rich jerk wants to waste money on a stupid statement about the U.S., he has every right to do so.

Every now and then, I flip through government auctions - often seized property. I once found a carved marble toilet auctioned by narcotics enforcement. It had a list price comparable to normal toilets.

That - THAT, I would put a bid on. I did not at the time. It is my one life regret.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:12 pm

clintmemo wrote:

huh....
I assumed someone was actually using it.

It never occurred to me that it might be sitting in a gallery somewhere.

It was originally in a gallery. In use in one of the rest rooms. Now it's on loan from the gallery. And used. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”