Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby N00b13 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Did my accounting final. I went from a perfect 100% to a 96%. I got A+ on every homework assignments and quiz but just a B on the final.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 am

N00b13 wrote:Did my accounting final. I went from a perfect 100% to a 96%. I got A+ on every homework assignments and quiz but just a B on the final.

So you got an A in your accounting class. That's all that matters yo your GPA and transcripts.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 am

clintmemo wrote:
N00b13 wrote:Did my accounting final. I went from a perfect 100% to a 96%. I got A+ on every homework assignments and quiz but just a B on the final.

So you got an A in your accounting class. That's all that matters yo your GPA and transcripts.

Taking an even longer term look at it- No one in the professional world gives a shit what grade you got once you're out of school. All they care about is that you got the degree, and can do the work.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am

GinDragon wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Taking an even longer term look at it- No one in the professional world gives a shit what grade you got once you're out of school. All they care about is that you got the degree, and can do the work.

The further you are from the time you graduated, the more true that is.
Employers looking at new graduates are absolutely going to look beyond your degree at classes and grades.
3 years out, not so much.
10 years out, probably not at all.

Of course, I suspect it depends on the field you are studying as well.
Sojourn Volume 2

John
Host

Postby John » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 am

clintmemo wrote:Of course, I suspect it depends on the field you are studying as well.

Big time. Good factors:

1. There is more demand than supply for labor. People aren't turned away if they have good skills but meager credentials, because they're too needed.
2. Easily demonstrable competence. Some fields have GitHub or a comparable place to display your goods, some don't. The ones that don't are more likely to squint at what your grades were 15 years ago for some dim hope at evaluating how good a hire you'll be.
3. Traditional hunger for prestige within the profession. Your law school follows you around forever and has a decisive say in your suitability for top tier employment, no matter what you've done for yourself between graduation and now. The method by which you learned JavaScript, much less so.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

I was speaking in the context of Finance/Accounting/Project Controls, though, admittedly, my knowledge applies more accurately to Canada.

Fun Fact: I don't actually have a post secondary degree, but I'm doing quite well. I'd probably be making 40% or so more than I am now if I did, but other than HR doing the math for my salary, no one cares at all- I still am given whatever responsibilities I can handle based on my skill.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm

McNutcase wrote:The pdf install instructions work well: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instr ... ocover.pdf

It's not the roller blind type like our Prius wagon uses, it's two rigid sections with a hinge between them plus a flexible bit to deal with the rear seats being mobile. The middle clips in, the rearmost rigid section is tied to the liftgate and gets pulled upwards when I open the trunk, and the flexible bit covers the gap between the rigid bits and the rear seats.

Oh, okay. I know what you're talking about now. I didn't realize the installation involved connecting to the seats.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks guy's. Last night wasn't a rational response. I panicked on the last 2 questions that were worth like 70% of the test. Tryed to recover but imagine reading the tax code on the fly with a 3 hour time limit. In retrospect I realize I didn't do too bad and it won't matter once my grades are posted. Doing the math this semester even elivated my overall gpa so yeah I've nothing to be upset about.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 am

I've never once been asked what my GPA was from my 1st interviews to my most recent interview 10 years later and I've worked at 6 different places and had dozens more interviews than that. To be honest the further away I get from graduation the less important my degree becomes.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 am

Chad wrote:I've never once been asked what my GPA was from my 1st interviews to my most recent interview 10 years later and I've worked at 6 different places and had dozens more interviews than that. To be honest the further away I get from graduation the less important my degree becomes.

Did you list it on your resume when you first graduated?

The general rule, back when I graduated, was to list it under education if it was 3.0 or higher.
Recruiters that didn't care would ignore it.
Recruiters that DID care would toss out any resume that didn't have it listed because they assumed it was less than 3.0 (and they were not interested in those people).

My dad used to work in HR for a giant corporation (30 years ago). He used to tell me some of the things they would do to quickly weed out resumes - because they got thousands to go through.
Sojourn Volume 2

Return to “General Discussion”