Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
DocTWisted
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby DocTWisted » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:21 pm

So the other day at the job I want to leave, I heard a radio ad for a "work from home employment opportunity."

I went to the website which I won't bother sharing, signed up for more info, and found out it was yet another "Multi-Level Marketing" (that is code for PYRAMID SCHEME) company that "Teaches you to start your own home-based business."

I should have known something was up when the first video they had me watched was all testimonials with zero information as to what the actual work to earn money would be.
Freemage wrote:I...
I want to live in the universe you just described.

King Lear wrote:When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am

Its 2013. Why is printing something still such an ordeal?

And why is Ink so damn expensive?
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 am

I was going to leave work early to go downtown for opening day, but a machine broke down so now I have to stay and fix it.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Its 2013. Why is printing something still such an ordeal?

Because people will pay for it. Toner is much cheaper but then you've got the up front costs.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:24 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Its 2013. Why is printing something still such an ordeal?

Because people still look at things based on the initial cost?
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Bai Shen wrote:

Yep. Solid ink printers are the cheapest over the long term, but most people can't afford the initial $600-$1200 outlay.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Timespike wrote:
Bai Shen wrote:

Yep. Solid ink printers are the cheapest over the long term, but most people can't afford the initial $600-$1200 outlay.

A bit of an exaggeration. When I was building my mothers current machine I tried to talk her into getting a laser printer ($280). Faster printing and more than a order of magnitude cheaper per page printed. But the didn't go for it and bought the inkjet equivalent ($140). Both Brother printers with comparable DPI and both all in one machines. ANd BTW I've been ordering her ink for her (via my amazon.com chase card) and she's bought $180 in ink in the year she has owned it. Along that line don't buy ink at big box stores. Markup there is so ridiculous.

It's like my washing machine. I convinced the property owner to buy a front loader. Between electricity and water it's already payed for itself and it's not that old but it cost $50 more at purchase. Moral of the story, people suck at math.

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:28 pm

N00b13 wrote:
Timespike wrote:

A bit of an exaggeration. When I was building my mothers current machine I tried to talk her into getting a laser printer ($280). Faster printing and more than a order of magnitude cheaper per page printed. But the didn't go for it and bought the inkjet equivalent ($140). Both Brother printers with comparable DPI and both all in one machines. ANd BTW I've been ordering her ink for her (via my amazon.com chase card) and she's bought $180 in ink in the year she has owned it. Along that line don't buy ink at big box stores. Markup there is so ridiculous.

It's like my washing machine. I convinced the property owner to buy a front loader. Between electricity and water it's already payed for itself and it's not that old but it cost $50 more at purchase. Moral of the story, people suck at math.

Laser might be cheaper than inkjet, but I'm pretty sure solid ink is cheaper even than laser over the long term...

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Timespike wrote:
N00b13 wrote:
Timespike wrote:

Laser might be cheaper than inkjet, but I'm pretty sure solid ink is cheaper even than laser over the long term...

Price for ink per page comparable (I've even read were laser is actually slightly cheaper per page especially if you include having to waste quite a bit of ink on unclogging the print head), however higher electricity usage and problems inherent to prints makes solid ink not as good a choice.

But yeah we are talking the difference between $0.019/page black for solid ink and $0.0163/page black for laser VS $.05-.15/page black for inkjet
Last edited by N00b13 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flaming Penguins
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Flaming Penguins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Game development is annoying as hell on a 10" netbook screen...

"What is up with this penguin?" - Shamus Young, FtB 68

Return to “General Discussion”