Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby Jahaili » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:56 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Does anyone else not get texting? What makes it better than using social networks, or email, or phone calls, or ...

I used to not get it. My dad used to not get it. Then we tried it. For short conversations, it's very convenient. I hate speaking on the phone - absolutely hate it. But if I need to get in touch with someone who doesn't check social networks or email regularly (such as my mom), then I can just shoot her a text.

I think mostly it stems from my hatred of speaking on the phone.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Flaming Penguins
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Flaming Penguins » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Tried retuning my drums. I think I made them worse. Them things are a pain to properly tune if you don't have an ear for it yet...

"What is up with this penguin?" - Shamus Young, FtB 68

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:14 pm

There are times when texting is more useful than talking on the phone. Specifically, if you want to send a concise piece of information to one or more other people when there is no emotional context to cloud said information. It is also a great way to ask questions when you need the answer soon but not necessarily right now.
Another advantage to texting (or emailing) over talking - you can't interrupt a written message like you can a verbal conversation.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:18 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Does anyone else not get texting? What makes it better than using social networks, or email, or phone calls, or ...

To me, that sounds like someone saying "Does anyone else not get screwdrivers?". It's a tool. Why would I try to send a short message via email, social network, or phone call? None of those are as quick, and universally present as texting. Phone calls are annoying. You need to silence it or answer it. Text gives a quick vibe or beep then you deal with it whenever. Text goes to people who don't have smart phones. Not everyone is on Facebook and it takes more navigation to send or receive messages even with a smart phone.

I can understand why some people don't use it. It strikes me as self absorbed to not understand why other people use it. :eh:

ETA: I'm not saying people who "don't get it" for themselves are self absorbed. I'm speaking only of people who think they have no use, so it makes no sense for others to use it.
Last edited by BottledViolence on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:29 pm

clintmemo wrote:There are times when texting is more useful than talking on the phone. Specifically, if you want to send a concise piece of information to one or more other people when there is no emotional context to cloud said information. It is also a great way to ask questions when you need the answer soon but not necessarily right now.
Another advantage to texting (or emailing) over talking - you can't interrupt a written message like you can a verbal conversation.

Typical text for me:

"Whiskey"

Reply:

"Yup"

What method of communication can communicate that quickly and effortlessly? It is literally quicker than waiting for the phone to start ringing or walking over to the computer if I'm not right in front of it. Hell, it's faster than waiting for my I pad to connect to the server for my email.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:37 pm

BottledViolence wrote:

To me, that sounds like someone saying "Does anyone else not get screwdrivers?". It's a tool. Why would I try to send a short message via email, social network, or phone call? None of those are as quick, and universally present as texting. Phone calls are annoying. You need to silence it or answer it. Text gives a quick vibe or beep then you deal with it whenever. Text goes to people who don't have smart phones. Not everyone is on Facebook and it takes more navigation to send or receive messages even with a smart phone.

I can understand why some people don't use it. It strikes me as self absorbed to not understand why other people use it. :eh:

And then there's the fact that some people can't deal with phone calls. I'm deaf enough that it's a constant struggle to hear what's being said. Therefore, if you want to piss me off beyond measure, call me. The interruption will start it, and my inevitable inability to understand what the hell you're trying to say will get me steaming with rage in short order.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

STGGrant
Myopic Sycophant

Postby STGGrant » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:46 pm

It's all about asynchronous communication. For two people to have a phone conversation, both people have to be available to communicate. Think of all the times you've called someone only to be told they're busy and will have to call you back? Or the times you've had to do it yourself? Texting lets you deliver information for the receiving party to consume at their convenience.

Email and social networks are also asynchronous, but they're not quite so suitable to short conversations and short snippets of text. Social networks in particular fail at this task: They're historically a broadcast/subscription medium, where people who think you have something interesting to say subscribe to you and your communication is with all of them. Most have point-to-point messaging features, but they're not the core product and were generally added later.

The functional difference between email and text communication is less about their usage and methodology (they're pretty similar) and more about the medium and equipment capable of using them. Texts don't need to have quite the same infrastructure at hand: Two simple phones and a cellular network are all you need. Email requires more advanced phones or a computer, separate accounts, etc.. My wife's phone doesn't do email, for example, but it can handle texts.
Saving The Game - A Christian gaming podcast for everybody
(Warning: May contain interesting theological content!)

Join the FTB Writers' Guild!

werefrog
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby werefrog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm

BottledViolence wrote:To me, that sounds like someone saying "Does anyone else not get screwdrivers?".

Exactly. Hammers are perfectly fine. They get the screws in. They get the nails in.
Heu, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice?

Timespike wrote:You KILLED A DRAGON with a Daze spell? You are full of awesome and win!

David Blue
da ba dee da ba die

Postby David Blue » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Saragon wrote:Email requires more advanced phones or a computer, separate accounts, etc.. My wife's phone doesn't do email, for example, but it can handle texts.

As an aside: It is possible to send email that will be received as a text message on any cell phone. Of course (since nothing can be simple) the address you use to send the email to varies depending on the cell carrier.

David Blue
da ba dee da ba die

Postby David Blue » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh how nice. The I.T. department at work arranged for the security certificates for the systems I manage to be manually revoked effective yesterday evening. (Well, two of the three main systems, at any rate.)

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Return to “General Discussion”