Grumbly Things Go Here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Re: Grumbly Things Go Here

Postby McNutcase » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm

werefrog wrote:
McNutcase wrote:The Werefrog summed it up. Caller ID is useless if inaccurate information is provided. Now, I have NO problem with, say, a large company having all calls give their main switchboard number even if their internal phones are direct-dialable; that's not disguising the source, it's just plain sensible to have callbacks go to the people whose job is answering the phones. But to send a string of zeros as the phone number? Or someone else's phone number? Or an inaccurate name? That's being an asshole, and fuck that noise.

The Werefrog must disagree with you there. The Werefrog don't mind all zeroes or unavailable as an option. It's when it gives a number that isn't a number that can be dialed to reach back to the caller that it is a problem.

The Werefrog don't mind if someone wants to have and maintain an unlisted number.

Send "Withheld", not a garbage number. And I'll set my crap up to not even ring or take a message, because if you won't admit who you are, fuck talking to you. You probably want to scam me.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:21 pm

McNutcase wrote:
werefrog wrote:
McNutcase wrote:The Werefrog summed it up. Caller ID is useless if inaccurate information is provided. Now, I have NO problem with, say, a large company having all calls give their main switchboard number even if their internal phones are direct-dialable; that's not disguising the source, it's just plain sensible to have callbacks go to the people whose job is answering the phones. But to send a string of zeros as the phone number? Or someone else's phone number? Or an inaccurate name? That's being an asshole, and fuck that noise.

The Werefrog must disagree with you there. The Werefrog don't mind all zeroes or unavailable as an option. It's when it gives a number that isn't a number that can be dialed to reach back to the caller that it is a problem.

The Werefrog don't mind if someone wants to have and maintain an unlisted number.

Send "Withheld", not a garbage number. And I'll set my crap up to not even ring or take a message, because if you won't admit who you are, fuck talking to you. You probably want to scam me.

Note to self. Never call McNutcase.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:32 pm

McNutcase wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Timespike wrote:Not if you don't want to spoof a number. The service they charge for is the making it look like it's coming from your cell phone.

The idea that the phone system allows you to spoof your number sends me into a burning rage.

This. Misleading caller ID information should be a maiming offence.

You have to confirm that you own the number as part of the service (for Skype). It just lets you present your cell number instead of nothing. Which is nice, really. You verify that you're you, and when you call with Skype, it's you that's calling and the caller ID shows as much. I'm sure it's hack-able, but it seems pretty darn non-trivial.

Red Umbrella
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Red Umbrella » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 pm

McNutcase wrote:
werefrog wrote:The Werefrog must disagree with you there. The Werefrog don't mind all zeroes or unavailable as an option. It's when it gives a number that isn't a number that can be dialed to reach back to the caller that it is a problem.

And that's your prerogative. But people who have had to contact people who then abused the ability to contact them back probably wouldn't agree that it's some kind of sin.
"The friendship fusion is not a ladder, it is a UNION of SOULS!" --Paranatural

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 pm

McNutcase wrote:
werefrog wrote:

I don't want people to have my number. It isn't so much about you knowing who is calling, as much as it is about being able to call me back. I don't want people calling me. Since I don't think I will ever have to call you, that shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, if I am calling about something being sold on craigslist, or calling someone about a work, fuck that, they don't get my real number.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Okay, I guess I have a grumbly thing.

I am out in the desert, based on Barstow California, and have been for a little over a week now. I get to go home this week, which is good. However, in the time that I have been gone, my daughter (who went from four to six weeks old) has learned to smile, and I missed it (yes, I know, she'll smile plenty later, but I missed the first one), and based on the photos I saw, has grown and changed quite a bit in the time that I was gone.

Travelling is an integral part of my job, and while my daughter and fiance will sometimes be able to come with me, there are times when they won't. So, I need to get used to this, but I am very unhappy about it right this moment.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 pm

anthroslug wrote:Okay, I guess I have a grumbly thing.

I am out in the desert, based on Barstow California, and have been for a little over a week now. I get to go home this week, which is good. However, in the time that I have been gone, my daughter (who went from four to six weeks old) has learned to smile, and I missed it (yes, I know, she'll smile plenty later, but I missed the first one), and based on the photos I saw, has grown and changed quite a bit in the time that I was gone.

Travelling is an integral part of my job, and while my daughter and fiance will sometimes be able to come with me, there are times when they won't. So, I need to get used to this, but I am very unhappy about it right this moment.

Unless you are with her 24-7, you are going to miss some things. You might be there for her first steps, or her first words, or you might not. Even if you are an at home parent, you will miss some stuff. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of other milestones ahead. Not being around for the first smile won't seem like a big thing at all while you are finding out about all the other things you can do to make her smile.

Flaming Penguins
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Flaming Penguins » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 am

My life is mind-numbingly boring. Work, eat, wait for sleep, sleep, repeat. Every single day. Weekends are the same but without the work.
About every two months, we drive back home and have a get-together with a few of our friends.
I've been feeling increasingly detached from reality since we moved up here last December. I'm well past the point where I just can't stand living here, but we can't move for about another year. The money isn't even that good.

Ugh...

"What is up with this penguin?" - Shamus Young, FtB 68

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:20 am

Flight canceled again! Thanks, Sandy.

Third time's the charm.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 am

Red Umbrella wrote:
McNutcase wrote:
werefrog wrote:The Werefrog must disagree with you there. The Werefrog don't mind all zeroes or unavailable as an option. It's when it gives a number that isn't a number that can be dialed to reach back to the caller that it is a problem.

And that's your prerogative. But people who have had to contact people who then abused the ability to contact them back probably wouldn't agree that it's some kind of sin.

Which is why blocking numbers should be free and easy.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “General Discussion”