Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11573
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:39 pm

I think it was @McNutcase who was always singing the praises of the I6. Just saw this admittedly old video about the return to the I6.

Followed by:


Which dragged me down a modern engine design rabbit hole. Having spent nearly my entire life working in an engine plant before moving to a stamping plant I'm feeling very lost due to so many new features being applied to new engines. :lol:

User avatar
McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.
Posts: 13450
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Nova Albion
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 pm

It's more that I'd rather have a well sorted 4 than a V6, but the straight 6 is better than either. Drives me barmy how thoroughly regulated Formula 1 engines are now, they might as well just turn it into a spec series given they're far enough down the rabbit hole to have specified the bore, and thus the stroke given the capacity limit...
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

User avatar
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor
Posts: 5333
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: South of Boston

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby N00b13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:18 pm

Don't buy a bed from Kohls. My sis bought one for herself and a month later the plastic dowels sheered clean off. I fixed it by screwing some 2x4s into the frame.
Last edited by N00b13 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11573
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:00 pm

McNutcase wrote:It's more that I'd rather have a well sorted 4 than a V6, but the straight 6 is better than either. Drives me barmy how thoroughly regulated Formula 1 engines are now, they might as well just turn it into a spec series given they're far enough down the rabbit hole to have specified the bore, and thus the stroke given the capacity limit...

Yeah, I tried getting back into F1, but they could just turn it into a revamped IROC series at this point. Parity and competition are good. Cookie cutter series aren't.

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11573
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 pm

N00b13 wrote:Don't buy a bed from Kohls. My sis bought one for herself and a month later the plastic dowels sheered clean off. I fixed it but by screwing some 2x4s into the frame.

Plastic dowels as a structural portion of the frame? :wtf:

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12142
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:12 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
N00b13 wrote:Don't buy a bed from Kohls. My sis bought one for herself and a month later the plastic dowels sheered clean off. I fixed it but by screwing some 2x4s into the frame.

Plastic dowels as a structural portion of the frame? :wtf:


Yeah I had to read that a couple times too :crazy:
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor
Posts: 5333
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: South of Boston

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby N00b13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:05 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
N00b13 wrote:Don't buy a bed from Kohls. My sis bought one for herself and a month later the plastic dowels sheered clean off. I fixed it but by screwing some 2x4s into the frame.

Plastic dowels as a structural portion of the frame? :wtf:


Yeah I had to read that a couple times too :crazy:

There is a price of particleboard that lays across 2 pieces of particle board and was supposed to be supported by 2 cleats made of particle board on either end. The cleats were held on with 2 tiny screws and 3 plastic dowels.

I used some scrap wood I had left from framing a garage door to basically add cleats. It doesn't look as nice but it can support a human adult.

Visual aid.

Before
Image
After
Image
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11573
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm

N00b13 wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
N00b13 wrote:Don't buy a bed from Kohls. My sis bought one for herself and a month later the plastic dowels sheered clean off. I fixed it but by screwing some 2x4s into the frame.

Plastic dowels as a structural portion of the frame? :wtf:


Yeah I had to read that a couple times too :crazy:

There is a price of particleboard that lays across 2 pieces of particle board and was supposed to be supported by 2 cleats made of particle board on either end. The cleats were held on with 2 tiny screws and 3 plastic dowels.

I used some scrap wood I had left from framing a garage door to basically add cleats. It doesn't look as nice but it can support a human adult.

Visual aid.

Before
Image
After
Image

That sounds like a good solution to piss poor design. Dowels are supposed to be the structural portion, not the screws. Cleats like that should be able to be glued.

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4762
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby John » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Golf less popular among millennials and zoomers because it's a long game you can't save scum.

User avatar
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor
Posts: 5333
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: South of Boston

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby N00b13 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:14 am

John wrote:Golf less popular among millennials and zoomers because it's a long game you can't save scum.

What are you talking about. That's what a Milligan is.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests