Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby clintmemo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 am

Wihzerd wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:
John wrote:I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

I've been having a problem trying to communicate that point as I've been pushing my group into adopting roll20. It's been a hassle trying to get them to drop the mindset of "well, if I didn't have time to make a highly detailed map this week, I guess we just won't use roll20 this time". The bare minimum required is not that much different from the dry erase grid we typically use. Just simple geometric shapes on a white background. That's it. If you DO have time to do better and want to make something special, great. But deeming that level of detail NECESSARY is a trap.

If the most recent session is any indication, I THINK I'm starting to get through to them.

There are more maps on the internet than you could ever use.
There are at least 2 subreddits where people post their maps. It is a great source for generic types of maps - forest roads, towns, crypts...

They do make use of pre-made material, trust me. While that certainly takes less effort than using a program with lots of bits and pieces of illustrated maps that you can composite together, it still takes time to scour the internet for a nice collection of maps to have ready for instant use. When you have a job and family obligations, this isn't always convenient.

My point is about what should and should not be considered THE BARE MINIMUM. Not when you have a moderate amount of prep time for maps, but when you have practically NONE. Sometimes all you need are hastily drawn rectangles, circles, and squiggly lines to get the idea across. Considering our group just went fully remote this weekend (social distancing), I suspect priorities will change. They CAN'T put off Roll20 until they have time to master it between games. They have to use the basics NOW.

You can draw stuff on the fly in roll20 but it is a bit clunky.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:10 am

clintmemo wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:
John wrote:I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

I've been having a problem trying to communicate that point as I've been pushing my group into adopting roll20. It's been a hassle trying to get them to drop the mindset of "well, if I didn't have time to make a highly detailed map this week, I guess we just won't use roll20 this time". The bare minimum required is not that much different from the dry erase grid we typically use. Just simple geometric shapes on a white background. That's it. If you DO have time to do better and want to make something special, great. But deeming that level of detail NECESSARY is a trap.

If the most recent session is any indication, I THINK I'm starting to get through to them.

There are more maps on the internet than you could ever use.
There are at least 2 subreddits where people post their maps. It is a great source for generic types of maps - forest roads, towns, crypts...

They do make use of pre-made material, trust me. While that certainly takes less effort than using a program with lots of bits and pieces of illustrated maps that you can composite together, it still takes time to scour the internet for a nice collection of maps to have ready for instant use. When you have a job and family obligations, this isn't always convenient.

My point is about what should and should not be considered THE BARE MINIMUM. Not when you have a moderate amount of prep time for maps, but when you have practically NONE. Sometimes all you need are hastily drawn rectangles, circles, and squiggly lines to get the idea across. Considering our group just went fully remote this weekend (social distancing), I suspect priorities will change. They CAN'T put off Roll20 until they have time to master it between games. They have to use the basics NOW.

You can draw stuff on the fly in roll20 but it is a bit clunky.

Roll20 doesn't need to be the next Adobe Illustrator to draw a simple square where a peasant's tiny cottage is supposed to be.

When I said this bit...

I was referring to one of our GMs drawing a square where our ferry had abruptly stopped and a blue wavy line for the river shore's edge. That required very little effort, but it most certainly conveyed everything I needed to know about the terrain.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm

Guys, I just realized something... Thanos's whole purpose for the snap was to have everyone avoid COVID-19. Half the population was gone, so there was no need for social distancing, then, they all came back completely unharmed...

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Guys, I just realized something... Thanos's whole purpose for the snap was to have everyone avoid COVID-19. Half the population was gone, so there was no need for social distancing, then, they all came back completely unharmed...

You're saying he wiped out half of all life in the entire universe just so one species on one planet could better handle a viral pandemic with a single digit percentage (or possibly lower) fatality rate?

Worst. Plan. Ever.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:45 am

Wihzerd wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:Guys, I just realized something... Thanos's whole purpose for the snap was to have everyone avoid COVID-19. Half the population was gone, so there was no need for social distancing, then, they all came back completely unharmed...

You're saying he wiped out half of all life in the entire universe just so one species on one planet could better handle a viral pandemic with a single digit percentage (or possibly lower) fatality rate?

Worst. Plan. Ever.

Agreed. For sure.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:46 am

mindtakerr wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:

Worst. Plan. Ever.

Agreed. For sure.

Not if he was planning on ultimately being defeated and having everyone return.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:32 am

clintmemo wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:

Worst. Plan. Ever.

Agreed. For sure.

Not if he was planning on ultimately being defeated and having everyone return.

... Clint, you are making the worst plan ever even WORSE. Dr. Thanos could have just used the Infinity Stones to destroy all viruses throughout the universe. Boom. End of plan. No one needs to die.

Mindtakerr's version of Thanos is starting to remind me of Paradox from Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged.
0:00-2:15

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 am

Thanos' plan was utterly futile anyway. It really made no sense.

Statistics show that the population of our world has been doubling every 50 years (approximately). If you halve the population of the universe, all you have achieved is to set things back by 50 years. In another 50 years the universe will be right back to where you started when you killed all those beings.

What is 50 years in the lifespan of a near-immortal Titan? Nothing!

Stoopid plan! :naughty:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 am

Right? You'd have to be mad or something to think that would accomplish anything but buy people time to rework how they were managing their resources!

Y'know, assuming they didn't waste all that time recovering from the massive disruption the abrupt vanishment of approximately half their population would cause.

Madness.

Makes the original Thanos' reasoning of "trying to impress a woman" seem rational by comparison.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Incidentally, maybe I don't understand how populations work, but couldn't he have just made it so that no species could have a number of kids equal to or greater than the number of individuals their species needs to procreate. So no human could have more than 1 biological kid.

Wouldn't that have the same effect as the snap in a few generations but without all the mass murder?
Have you found the yellow sign?

Return to “General Discussion”