Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:08 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Yeah, I've always thought that for many jobs it's very self evident if people are getting their work done. If people are hitting milestones and turning in good work, why does it matter what their moment to moment productivity habits are? And if many of your workers won't work without constant scrutiny and peer pressure, are those really people you want to employ in the first place?


While it's true the in most jobs, it's pretty evident when people are slacking off, I'd argue that having a crew full of self-motivated self-starters may not work out as well as you think it might. First off, some (I'd argue most) people need structure and external accountability. (I'm one of those people). Secondly, self-motivated self-starters have a tendency to self-motivatedly self-start themselves into better jobs at other places, that is if they don't go off and start their own businesses. Now if you have to constantly supervise someone to get them to do any work, then yeah, send them packing.


True, pretty much everyone on my team is understood to be extremely self-sufficient, we just operate under the working assumption that everyone else is getting their work done because they pretty much always are.

On accountability being a motivator though, for some jobs it could be easier for that to exist remotely. Like if you do a daily scrum you have pretty much the exact same accountability as you would working from the office, you'd even be using the exact same tools.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22671
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby clintmemo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am

I wonder if the Coronavirus will cause an uptick in people's usage of VTT's.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

User avatar
JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby JediSoth » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 am

clintmemo wrote:I wonder if the Coronavirus will cause an uptick in people's usage of VTT's.


I was thinking of looking into VTTs to run my games I've prepped for Gary Con remotely for people. I don't know if any of them have dice rollers for FFG's Genesys system (their Star Wars dice would work just fine). Also, I've never GMed an online game before, so there'd be a significant learning curve.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27551
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am

JediSoth wrote:
clintmemo wrote:I wonder if the Coronavirus will cause an uptick in people's usage of VTT's.


I was thinking of looking into VTTs to run my games I've prepped for Gary Con remotely for people. I don't know if any of them have dice rollers for FFG's Genesys system (their Star Wars dice would work just fine). Also, I've never GMed an online game before, so there'd be a significant learning curve.

Roll20 doesn't. You can find some code you can work into a custom character sheet to create them, but you can't do that unless you're a paying member, alas. There's an online roller on its own site that used to work through Google Hangouts so everyone could see the results, but, well ... No hangouts any more.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4741
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby John » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 am

I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
JediSoth wrote:
clintmemo wrote:I wonder if the Coronavirus will cause an uptick in people's usage of VTT's.


I was thinking of looking into VTTs to run my games I've prepped for Gary Con remotely for people. I don't know if any of them have dice rollers for FFG's Genesys system (their Star Wars dice would work just fine). Also, I've never GMed an online game before, so there'd be a significant learning curve.

Roll20 doesn't. You can find some code you can work into a custom character sheet to create them, but you can't do that unless you're a paying member, alas. There's an online roller on its own site that used to work through Google Hangouts so everyone could see the results, but, well ... No hangouts any more.


There are some good Dice and general TTRPG Discord Bots.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:23 am
Location: Lord Foul's Lair

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm

John wrote:I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

I've been having a problem trying to communicate that point as I've been pushing my group into adopting roll20. It's been a hassle trying to get them to drop the mindset of "well, if I didn't have time to make a highly detailed map this week, I guess we just won't use roll20 this time". The bare minimum required is not that much different from the dry erase grid we typically use. Just simple geometric shapes on a white background. That's it. If you DO have time to do better and want to make something special, great. But deeming that level of detail NECESSARY is a trap.

If the most recent session is any indication, I THINK I'm starting to get through to them.

User avatar
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:23 am
Location: Lord Foul's Lair

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby Wihzerd » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:40 pm

clintmemo wrote:I wonder if the Coronavirus will cause an uptick in people's usage of VTT's.


Well, I think we've got the answer to that question now.

Roll20 wrote:We are currently experiencing degraded site performance due to population surges. We're testing solutions and will let you know as soon as we have a resolution.

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22671
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby clintmemo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:16 am

Wihzerd wrote:
John wrote:I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

I've been having a problem trying to communicate that point as I've been pushing my group into adopting roll20. It's been a hassle trying to get them to drop the mindset of "well, if I didn't have time to make a highly detailed map this week, I guess we just won't use roll20 this time". The bare minimum required is not that much different from the dry erase grid we typically use. Just simple geometric shapes on a white background. That's it. If you DO have time to do better and want to make something special, great. But deeming that level of detail NECESSARY is a trap.

If the most recent session is any indication, I THINK I'm starting to get through to them.


There are more maps on the internet than you could ever use.
There are at least 3 subreddits where people post their maps. It is a great source for generic types of maps - forest roads, towns, crypts...

edit

duuuuuhhhhh......
links

https://old.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/
https://old.reddit.com/r/dndmaps/
https://old.reddit.com/r/FantasyMaps/
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

User avatar
Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:23 am
Location: Lord Foul's Lair

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby Wihzerd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:24 am

clintmemo wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:
John wrote:I recommend easing into the features of whatever VTT you're going with. It would be pretty difficult to go from a flat stop to a roll20 game in which you made full use of the character sheet macros, dynamic lighting, map layers, etc. There's nothing wrong with starting out just using a single image for a map, doing most of the rolls by hand, and tracking things the old fashioned way. You can implement the fancier features as you go.

I've been having a problem trying to communicate that point as I've been pushing my group into adopting roll20. It's been a hassle trying to get them to drop the mindset of "well, if I didn't have time to make a highly detailed map this week, I guess we just won't use roll20 this time". The bare minimum required is not that much different from the dry erase grid we typically use. Just simple geometric shapes on a white background. That's it. If you DO have time to do better and want to make something special, great. But deeming that level of detail NECESSARY is a trap.

If the most recent session is any indication, I THINK I'm starting to get through to them.


There are more maps on the internet than you could ever use.
There are at least 2 subreddits where people post their maps. It is a great source for generic types of maps - forest roads, towns, crypts...

They do make use of pre-made material, trust me. While that certainly takes less effort than using a program with lots of bits and pieces of illustrated maps that you can composite together, it still takes time to scour the internet for a nice collection of maps to have ready for instant use. When you have a job and family obligations, this isn't always convenient.

My point is about what should and should not be considered THE BARE MINIMUM. Not when you have a moderate amount of prep time for maps, but when you have practically NONE. Sometimes all you need are hastily drawn rectangles, circles, and squiggly lines to get the idea across. Considering our group just went fully remote this weekend (social distancing), I suspect priorities will change. They CAN'T put off Roll20 until they have time to master it between games. They have to use the basics NOW.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests