Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Boss just told my whole team to WFH for the rest of the month.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul
Canadian Girl and or Boy Friend. No, really.

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 pm

tombombodil wrote:Boss just told my whole team to WFH for the rest of the month.

Coronavirus? :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Boss just told my whole team to WFH for the rest of the month.

Correct. I assume the higher-ups ran the numbers and decided that some moderate lost productivity caused by temporary mass remote work was less of a risk than having potentially 60+% of your work force simultaneously taking actual sick leave.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:50 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Correct. I assume the higher-ups ran the numbers and decided that some moderate lost productivity caused by temporary mass remote work was less of a risk than having potentially 60+% of your work force simultaneously taking actual sick leave.

I get more done when I WFH.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Chad wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Me too. Way more. But with a company this big that has so many cross-sectional projects from different teams etc. I'd have to imagine that on a higher level, coordination etc is easier if you share a campus if not a work space. Like, individual productivity might be often higher, but the productivity of a department might not be if everyone is working remotely.

Or maybe from a management perspective it's just simpler/easier to direct a department if they're all in the same building?

Lord Foul
Canadian Girl and or Boy Friend. No, really.

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Chad wrote:I get more done when I WFH.

Me too. I worked from home today because I had some spreadsheet work and an article to write, both things I can do much more easily without constant distractions. I really only go into the office when I have little to do, or meetings or other management stuff that can't easily be done remotely. Unfortunately that's quite a lot of the time.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:37 am

tombombodil wrote:
Chad wrote:

Me too. Way more. But with a company this big that has so many cross-sectional projects from different teams etc. I'd have to imagine that on a higher level, coordination etc is easier if you share a campus if not a work space. Like, individual productivity might be often higher, but the productivity of a department might not be if everyone is working remotely.

Or maybe from a management perspective it's just simpler/easier to direct a department if they're all in the same building?

It's totally a control issue. Management is afraid that people will sit home and slack off instead of working. And in some cases they are right, but the solution is to fix (or get rid of) those people, not inhibit everyone else.

I remember in early 90's, there was a BIG resistance to allowing people to have access to the internet at work.
"They'll just surf the net all day!"
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:45 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Chad wrote:

It's totally a control issue. Management is afraid that people will sit home and slack off instead of working. And in some cases they are right, but the solution is to fix (or get rid of) those people, not inhibit everyone else.

I remember in early 90's, there was a BIG resistance to allowing people to have access to the internet at work.
"They'll just surf the net all day!"

Yeah, I've always thought that for many jobs it's very self evident if people are getting their work done. If people are hitting milestones and turning in good work, why does it matter what their moment to moment productivity habits are? And if many of your workers won't work without constant scrutiny and peer pressure, are those really people you want to employ in the first place?

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:28 pm

I'm just looking out at the assorted squirrel tracks on the snow leading to a group of trees, and thinking about a little drone bomber which I could load with nuts and stuff. Do they make them with working bomb hatches?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:45 am

tombombodil wrote:
Yeah, I've always thought that for many jobs it's very self evident if people are getting their work done. If people are hitting milestones and turning in good work, why does it matter what their moment to moment productivity habits are? And if many of your workers won't work without constant scrutiny and peer pressure, are those really people you want to employ in the first place?

While it's true the in most jobs, it's pretty evident when people are slacking off, I'd argue that having a crew full of self-motivated self-starters may not work out as well as you think it might. First off, some (I'd argue most) people need structure and external accountability. (I'm one of those people). Secondly, self-motivated self-starters have a tendency to self-motivatedly self-start themselves into better jobs at other places, that is if they don't go off and start their own businesses. Now if you have to constantly supervise someone to get them to do any work, then yeah, send them packing.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “General Discussion”