Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
NGnear
BABUSHKA!

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby NGnear » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm a little fuzzy on why iron would be a better material for a tea pot than ceramic with regards to keping the content warm - iron is a far better conductor. Wouldn't a double-walled teapot do a better job at keeping your tea at desirable temperature for longer?

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm

NGnear wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on why iron would be a better material for a tea pot than ceramic with regards to keping the content warm - iron is a far better conductor. Wouldn't a double-walled teapot do a better job at keeping your tea at desirable temperature for longer?

Assuming you pre warm the teapot and don't let your actual tea do the warming (and thus, get drained of its heat) my understanding is that the main benefit of cast iron cookware in general is its ability to stay hot for a long time. Especially if you use a stand with a tea light.

But, I don't actually knew much about thermal dynamics, I'm just going off what I've read on tea websites about tea pots here.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

BadMrMojo
I am the story stick

Postby BadMrMojo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Fridrik wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:...
I don't know whether to be offended or impressed... :think:

Why not both ! :wave:

Imprended.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:I mean, right now I am brewing my tea in a mug (just with loose tea and an infuser instead of tea bags). I was just looking into cast iron teapots because the last of my tea is usually cold by the time I get to it, so smaller teacups and a teapot would solve that problem.

so would a very well insulated coffee mug (they also work for tea).

Sure, but another benefit of owning a nice teapot is aesthetics. I'm not above a bit of pretentiousness, I like the 'ceremony' of tea, as well as just drinking my tea. ;)

I don't drink much black tea, I mostly drink herbal and green teas. It's not so much about the 'gotta have my tea for the caffeine', as a lot of my fellow Americans seem to be with their coffee. I like the taste of tea, I like relaxing with a cup of tea, and I like the aesthetic of a nice tea set. Not everything in life needs a utilitarian approach.

You'll hate my solution then. :lol:

I use a big ingenuiTEA to brew with water from my electric kettle, then drain it into my old school thermos, and drink from the cup that comes on the lid of the thermos. Probably as utilitarian as you can get while still brewing really tasty tea. :thumbup:

When I'm feeling even more lazy, I just brew it with bagged tea in my Aladdin Ecycle mug with hot water from the drinking fountain. :lol:

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:Not everything in life needs a utilitarian approach.

I mean, I'm not against a utilitarian approach to things. I certainly have a utilitarian approach to a lot of stuff in life. For example, my car: As long as it goes from point A to point B I don't really need anything else or care about other 'features' (Well, besides heating and air conditioning, and a functioning radio). And I don't begrudge other people for how they enjoy their tea.

Just saying, everyone has some things in life they want to sit back and enjoy, maybe spend a little extra money on just 'cuz it makes them happy. Tea is one of those things for me.

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
JediSoth wrote:I have one. Want it?

Maybe, depending on how big it is and how much you want for it.

JediSoth wrote:We found it's too difficult to keep the tea hot in one, even pre-heating it

Hmm, really? I thought that was the main point of cast iron teapots, that they keep tea hot a lot longer than ceramic, clay, or glass.

It's kind of a blue version of this one at Amazon.. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I get home (though, it's a game night, so I might forget).

Pay for shipping and it's yours. We're moving, don't use it, and don't need it.

The cast iron WILL hold the heat longer if it's properly pre-heated, which is the thing I never take the time to do.
Hans, the Original JediSoth
ENnies Submissions Coordinator & Publisher Relations
@hccummings (Twitter)
Learn about my novels at VFF Publishing

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Speaking as someone who doesn't like tea, this conversation is giving me a craving for hot chocolate.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

JediSoth wrote:Pay for shipping and it's yours. We're moving, don't use it, and don't need it.

Well I'm not gonna find a better deal than that. I'm PMing you my address, just let me know shipping and your PayPal.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:21 pm

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:09 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:Not everything in life needs a utilitarian approach.

I mean, I'm not against a utilitarian approach to things. I certainly have a utilitarian approach to a lot of stuff in life. For example, my car: As long as it goes from point A to point B I don't really need anything else or care about other 'features' (Well, besides heating and air conditioning, and a functioning radio). And I don't begrudge other people for how they enjoy their tea.

Just saying, everyone has some things in life they want to sit back and enjoy, maybe spend a little extra money on just 'cuz it makes them happy. Tea is one of those things for me.

I didn't mean you would hate that I do it that way, I was just saying that the way I do it is clearly not for you! :thumbup:

Return to “General Discussion”