Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am

N00b13 wrote:
John wrote:Golf less popular among millennials and zoomers because it's a long game you can't save scum.

What are you talking about. That's what a Milligan is.

Yeah, the only times I've played golf I've basically just auto-lost so that i could drop my ball on the green after every hit where it landed elsewhere.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:57 pm

N00b13 wrote:
John wrote:Golf less popular among millennials and zoomers because it's a long game you can't save scum.

What are you talking about. That's what a Milligan is.

Nine hole, par three golf course. Takes about an hour. Don't have to buy anything either, rental clubs are cheap and you only need a wedge and a putter, or just a driver if you want to hog dog all of your shots.

Top Golf is also a thing.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 pm

I found golf to be a lot like hunting. A large portion of the people who participate are guys looking for an excuse to get away from their wives and get drunk with their buddies. :lol:

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:26 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I found golf to be a lot like hunting. A large portion of the people who participate are guys looking for an excuse to get away from their wives and get drunk with their buddies. :lol:

I think you're right. My dad got into golf when he got out of the Army in the early '70's. He got a job selling food to the commissionaires on different bases around the Midwest. You go in, make your deal and then your done for the rest of the day but you're in the middle of nowhere. Every military base of a certain size in the US has a golf course apparently so he started playing to pass the time and fell in love with the sport. He has zero patience for people fucking around, he's there for 3 to 4 hours to play and win. He was always bitching about people getting too drunk or being too slow. There is a whole etiquette that goes along with golf that go beyond what is in the rule book.

That said, going to some high end expensive private club and going to a $25 greens fee community course is very different. I've been to the club my dad used to belong to and had to wear slacks and whatnot ever as a little kid. I did a round at a community course several years back and it was all beer and we weren't wearing shirts.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:42 am

Does it still count as a rescue if the thing you are trying to rescue is uncooperative?

At one point does a rescue become an eviction?
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:27 am

clintmemo wrote:Does it still count as a rescue if the thing you are trying to rescue is uncooperative?

Wow! Cool question...

My answer (as a former lifeguard) is yes. When someone is drowning, they stop thinking. They will - unknowingly and unintentionally - drag their attempted rescuer and themselves to the bottom out of sheer, unthinking, illogical panic. They rarely are cooperative because they lack the ability to understand what you need them to do. So... you find ways to save them without their cooperation.

The second question is one I'm gonna have to mull over.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:18 pm

clintmemo wrote:Does it still count as a rescue if the thing you are trying to rescue is uncooperative?

My view is that it all rests on the definition of rescue.

If you have classified something as a rescue then it is necessary.
In such a case the subject doesn't get a say in it any more.
In the extreme case where lack of rescue would result in death, you are merely preventing suicide.

Similarly, if it is a rescue then that trumps any consideration of whether or not it is an eviction; that distinction is irrelevant.
They can argue about their human rights and so on once you've made sure they are going to live long enough to do so.
Lawyers' gotta eat too! :whistle:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm

It depends. If you remove someone from a situation when they are unable to give consent (I'd include not being in a mental impaired) and you remove them from imminent danger that is clearly a rescue. If someone can but doesn't give consent and you remove them from imminent danger that is probably a rescue. If someone can but doesn't give consent and you remove them from danger that is an eviction. You can't save people from their own stupidity. Thinking of people who refuse to move away from coal fires or irradiated land.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Even if you're rescuing someone, it can also be an eviction. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, you totally can save people from their own stupidity, on a case by case basis. Dragging someone out of a burning building when they're refusing to leave because they can't find their lucky [insert random object here] is an example. They're in danger because they're an idiot, but you managed to save them!

... this time.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

An interesting question is whether it is ethical to save someone from their own stupidity.

In the hypothetical case, saving the stupid prevents natural selection doing its job and weeding out those who have a detrimental effect on the gene pool. Allowing stupid people to remove themselves not only fends off overpopulation a little, but those who remain are, on average, a little smarter.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “General Discussion”